Trigger Dilemma

stx

Anyone know who might have a trigger comparable to a Jewell for a Belgium Mauser 98 that will adjust down to around 1lb? I have a Timney in the rifle now and have had two gunsmiths work on it and 1 lb, 14 oz is the best they've gotten! I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find anything with good reviews! Any help is appreciated!

stx,

Jard triggers are well built, tough triggers. Many (maybe not Mausers...) get used in tactical match rifles for their durability.

Here is their website which shows a larger selection of weight of pull than Brownells:

Mauser & Interarms

Regards.

I forgot to add that there is also the Kepplinger Single Set trigger available from Brownells, although it is currently out of stock. I have use several of these in rifles designed for longer range hunting and they perform admirably. Straight use is just pull the trigger for the unset weight. But by pushing the trigger lever forward you achieve the lighter unset weight which I believe is 6 oz. Be aware that the Mauser M98 system has a longer firing pin travel than most modern rifle firing pin systems. The set weight, although light, will appear to sound a tad sluggish, if you will. But the performance is still exceptional.

I noticed you want this trigger for a Mauser. Are you going to use this rifle for hunting, if so why would you want a 1 lb. trigger? If you don't mind me asking.

I too am curious.

I knew this question would be asked! I've shot old Canjar Triggers(set at 1-1.5lbs) for 30+ years, some of them bench rest triggers(set at 8-10 oz).....and for the last 10+ years I've been shooting Jewells in most of my hunting rifles(set at a lb) and that's just what I'm used to.....these are the rifles I use myself not the ones I loan to my clients... they're all set around 2.5-3 lbs. I know most won't agree with this but it's what I like and what I'm used to.....anything over a lb just seems too heavy to me! I like all of my hunting rifles to have pretty close to the same pull....

I knew this question would be asked! I've shot old Canjar Triggers(set at 1-1.5lbs) for 30+ years, some of them bench rest triggers(set at 8-10 oz).....and for the last 10+ years I've been shooting Jewells in most of my hunting rifles(set at a lb) and that's just what I'm used to.....these are the rifles I use myself not the ones I loan to my clients... they're all set around 2.5-3 lbs. I know most won't agree with this but it's what I like and what I'm used to.....anything over a lb just seems too heavy to me! I like all of my hunting rifles to have pretty close to the same pull....

Copy that, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks FEENIX and sable tireur for the advice on the Jard Triggers! I did a little more research and called a friend who's a gunsmith.....he also said they were excellent triggers.....and then went ahead and ordered one this morning! My Jewells have spoiled me but hopefully, this will be a good alternative!

Thanks Again!

Same here. Lately I have gone with twenty ounces on my hunting rifle. My .Freedom Arms .454 was set at eighteen ounces.

Same here. Lately I have gone with twenty ounces on my hunting rifle. My .Freedom Arms .454 was set at eighteen ounces.

Takes the human error out of the equation.....but I certainly don't recommend it for anyone that's not used to shooting a light trigger! I have a very good friend that got VERY upset with me when he wanted to put a Jewell set at 1# in one of his rifles after shooting one of mine and I told him that he difinitely SHOULD NOT change his trigger. He's been hunting all of his life and is used to 3-3.5 # trigger pulls and I told him it would get him in trouble or cost him a trophy buck, elk, or whatever..... He thought I was discrediting his ability to shoot, but I wasn't! A light trigger is not for everyone!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.