Choosing Cartridge Dilemma

Jud96

To make a long story short, I am confused on which cartridge to choose for my first true long range hunting rifle. I currently am building a long range .308 Norma Magnum with my Uncle, but it is more of a conversation piece and fun day at the range kind of rifle. It has AAA grade American Black Walnut and is built on a trued and worked Model 1917 action, so it is a classic and not something I want to use as my primary rig for hunting and shooting. I have tossed around the idea of buying a Remington 700 Long Range but can't decide on what chambering I want. I have everything needed to load for the .308 Norma including a Redding 3 die set, 150+ pieces of brass, powder, bullets, etc. I also have a brand new PTG .308 Norma reamer that I purchased and it has only been used once to cut the chamber in my rifle. My original plan was to buy a Long Range 700 in .30-06 then open the bolt face and punch it out to .308 Norma but finding one in '06 is tough. I also thought about just leaving it a .30-06 but I want something with a little more down range punch. I thought about a 7RM but I don't have any .284cal bullets and I am more of a .30cal man. What do you guys think? I may end of just buying a junker 700 and using the action to build a custom, but I'm really liking the factory Long Range rifle. I hate to put all of my Norma equipment and components on the back burner and only use them occasionally. Decisions, decisions.... you guys got any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

You've been at this awhile, I was looking at some online sites stumbled on an older post.

You seem well set up for the .308 Norma I'd keep at it.

I wanted a Ruger Compact in 7.62x39 for an 8 year old, he was well into 9 by the time he got it but it was worth the wait. Between limited runs, and recalls you can be scratching your head as to if they exist.

If you break off, I found a couple of old Model 70 Target 30-06, and .300 H&H, but you're kind of a Remington man, and some of the old Winchesters get pricey.

If you break away from script, Steyr, and Sako have heavy barreled .300 Winchesters. Likely Savage as well, GunBroker had a 700 Police in .300 Winchester which for the money could have you shooting while your looking. Or shoot it out, and come back Norma.

Good luck

Jud, you know what I'm going to recommend.....Go with the 7mm RemMag. Once you own one, you will realize what you've been missing in your collection, and what all the fuss is about.

However :rolleyes:, if you want to stick with the .30 caliber and not try something new, they do offer the 700 LR in .300 WinMag, as well.

Jud, there just happens to be a 700LR in 30-06 sitting on the shelf in one of my local gun stores :D If it was Left handed I'd would have bought it on the spot.

If you want to rock the Norma, I can think of no reasons to go a different direction. I tend to have the mindset of "If someone else on the range is shooting it, I don't want it". I think the Norma mag fits that requirement perfectly.

t

You've been at this awhile, I was looking at some online sites stumbled on an older post.

You seem well set up for the .308 Norma I'd keep at it.

I wanted a Ruger Compact in 7.62x39 for an 8 year old, he was well into 9 by the time he got it but it was worth the wait. Between limited runs, and recalls you can be scratching your head as to if they exist.

If you break off, I found a couple of old Model 70 Target 30-06, and .300 H&H, but you're kind of a Remington man, and some of the old Winchesters get pricey.

If you break away from script, Steyr, and Sako have heavy barreled .300 Winchesters. Likely Savage as well, GunBroker had a 700 Police in .300 Winchester which for the money could have you shooting while your looking. Or shoot it out, and come back Norma.

Good luck

Ya I know I've been at it awhile, my Uncle is a gunsmith so he has tons of projects built up in his shop, and I don't really need this rifle done right away, so it is just on hold for now. I have also been up and down with my decisions, but I think I've finally decided to make up my mind. I am not against Model 70s, I actually would love to have a Pre-64 in either .270 Winchester or .30-06 but just as a collector piece. I just like the 700 for all around use, they just work for me.

Jud, you know what I'm going to recommend.....Go with the 7mm RemMag. Once you own one, you will realize what you've been missing in your collection, and what all the fuss is about.

However :rolleyes:, if you want to stick with the .30 caliber and not try something new, they do offer the 700 LR in .300 WinMag, as well.
Ya Mud I am really thinking about a 7RM. I am finicky about my cartridges though, I already have a .270 and I feel like having a 7 would be uncalled for. I like to keep things simple, so don't want really more than 3 calibers like I already have and they are .243, .270, and .30cal I guess it is an OCD thing. I did look into opening up a 7mm REM Mag to 7mm Weatherby, my Uncle has a new 7mm Wby reamer sitting in his shop... :D

Jud, there just happens to be a 700LR in 30-06 sitting on the shelf in one of my local gun stores :D If it was Left handed I'd would have bought it on the spot.

If you want to rock the Norma, I can think of no reasons to go a different direction. I tend to have the mindset of "If someone else on the range is shooting it, I don't want it". I think the Norma mag fits that requirement perfectly.

t

I feel the same way about odd ball cartridges, I love them. My hunting rifle is a .270 and everyone has one, but I didn't have a choice when I got that rifle and to be honest I like that round a lot. My Varmint rifle is a .243 but that is another great cartridge that is often overlooked for long range shooting and I like it just the way it is, even though an Ackley would be sweet. I am leaning towards the Norma Mag for sure, I like the .300 WIN but I pretty much have the same thing with the Norma. I feel like there is no reason to reload and setup for another round that is nearly identical to one I already have.

Off Topic, but Outlaw 6.0, are you a member on the Powerstroke.org forum?

Hmm... I may have been at one time. I honestly can't remember, I have a membership to so many forums it's hard to keep them straight.

t

Ok I thought I may have seen your name on there before, maybe not. It is a truck site so a little different from long range hunting, just noticed that your username had "6.0" in it and didn't know if that had any relationship to the engine.

Ok I thought I may have seen your name on there before, maybe not. It is a truck site so a little different from long range hunting, just noticed that your username had "6.0" in it and didn't know if that had any relationship to the engine.

Actually both Outlaw & 6.0 are truck related. I ran an '07 6.0 for 4 years, now im on my 2nd 6.7 PSD :cool: The 6.0 had a factory upgrade package called the Outlaw package.

t

Actually both Outlaw & 6.0 are truck related. I ran an '07 6.0 for 4 years, now im on my 2nd 6.7 PSD :cool: The 6.0 had a factory upgrade package called the Outlaw package.

t

Sweet! My Dad just bought a 6.0 and I'm looking into maybe getting one in the future. But I'm going to get back on topic now haha. I am open to something completely different though just for that "cool" factor. Like my cousin is just starting to build a .270 WSM long range rig and that is not a very popular cartridge for long range so it is going to be very cool. I am a big .270 fan, but for long range there isn't to many great bullets besides the Matrix 165s and 175s. I shoot 140 SSTs in my .270 WIN but it is not a dedicated long range rifle, even though I regularly shoot it long range. Just can't get my mind set on which cartridge to pursue. So many options.... haha! :D

Ya Mud I am really thinking about a 7RM. I am finicky about my cartridges though, I already have a .270 and I feel like having a 7 would be uncalled for. I like to keep things simple, so don't want really more than 3 calibers like I already have and they are .243, .270, and .30cal I guess it is an OCD thing. I did look into opening up a 7mm REM Mag to 7mm Weatherby, my Uncle has a new 7mm Wby reamer sitting in his shop... :D

I wouldn't waste my money rechambering to a 7mm Wby... They're not that different, and the brass costs significantly more.

I am getting 3,115 fps with a 26" barreled 7mm RemMag and 168 Berger VLD's....That's moving. It hits hard on game, too. So far I'm 2 for 2, and the farthest one ran 15 yards, the shortest one never took a step and flopped over like a freight train hit it. Ruined virtually no useable meat on either one of them.

I wouldn't waste my money rechambering to a 7mm Wby... They're not that different, and the brass costs significantly more.

I am getting 3,115 fps with a 26" barreled 7mm RemMag and 168 Berger VLD's....That's moving. It hits hard on game, too. So far I'm 2 for 2, and the farthest one ran 15 yards, the shortest one never took a step and flopped over like a freight train hit it. Ruined virtually no useable meat on either one of them.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, not much difference, maybe a 50fps gain with the Weatherby. I just want something different. I don't need anything enormous like a 7mm STW or .30-378, just something around the lines of a 7RM or a .300 Win. but something oddball just to be unique. Were you running 7828ssc in your 7?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, not much difference, maybe a 50fps gain with the Weatherby. I just want something different. I don't need anything enormous like a 7mm STW or .30-378, just something around the lines of a 7RM or a .300 Win. but something oddball just to be unique. Were you running 7828ssc in your 7?

Yep, with Nosler brass, and Federal 215M primers.

Yep, with Nosler brass, and Federal 215M primers.

Okay, I have about 4lbs of 7828ssc and 2lbs of plain old 7828. One thing I am considering is if I already have components for the cartridge. I have all of that 7828 and I can regularly find it at all of my local shops so that will probably determine what shell I choose. I also have 6lbs of IMR 4831, but this is a little fast for the bigger magnums. I am thinking about the Norma still, but if I can find a Remington Long Range in '06, I would have to buy a bolt with a magnum bolt face because I don't want to go through the process of opening up a 700 bolt face. That would add another few hundred bucks to my project, by then I could have built a custom off a 700 donor. Maybe a .300 RUM? It has enough of an advantage over the Norma, but it is a little over kill and not very efficient.

After thinking it over the last week. I think I have made a decision. I am thinking of buying the Long Range 700 chambered for .300 Winchester, then opening it up to .300 Weatherby. My Dad already has one and so does my Uncle. It is like our family cartridge for long range magnums I guess you could say haha. I have an RCBS 3 die set for it and lots of Weatherby brass! My Uncle also has a reamer for .300 WBY that is pretty much new and has only been used a couple of times. It has enough gain over the Norma to be practical to use and in my opinion is one of the best all around long range cartridges and probably the best .30cal magnum. It is fast, accurate, and not to overbore compared to other big thirties like the RUM. I have always looked at the .300 WBY as one of the kings and am deciding to finally get one for myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.