Choosing Cartridge Dilemma

Why not buy the .300 Win, and open it up to .300 Ackley (.300 Wby Imp 40*), load up some 215 Bergers with 7828 SSC and formed Nosler .300 Wby brass. And then you can have the edge on old pops. :D

Oh, and as for dies, you can use the RCBS .300 Wby neck-sizer die and seater die to load for it. That's what I do. :D

Why not buy the .300 Win, and open it up to .300 Ackley (.300 Wby Imp 40*), load up some 215 Bergers with 7828 SSC and formed Nosler .300 Wby brass. And then you can have the edge on old pops. :D

Oh, and as for dies, you can use the RCBS .300 Wby neck-sizer die and seater die to load for it. That's what I do. :D

Not gonna lie, I actually thought about that round because I remember you talking about it on here. The only problem would be finding a reamer for it, but I'm sure I could get one. It is a pretty unique cartridge that would surely be a one of the kind around these parts of the woods. Most likely I will just make it a .300 WBY then may go after that .300 Ackley later on down the road. Would like to get 208s going 3000+ fps with the Weatherby, something I think is easily doable with the 26" barrel. Hopefully it won't beat the heck out of me to bad haha. :D

I could easily send you a copy of my reamer print...

30037D78-D8E2-4753-9F3C-703922DEAB47_zpsitzgz199.jpg

Yes, your brass won't grow anywhere near as much with the 40* rectangular shoulder, as with the Venturi radius of the Wby caliber.

With more boiler room there is more room for powder, which in theory means more pressure, which turns into higher velocity.

I can't guarantee you will get more than the Wby, but in theory you should. I am at 74gr of 7828 SSC with 210's and haven't seen a pressure sign yet. So, I should be sending the 210's over the 3K mark, and by the time I get my load finalized, I should be closer to 3,100. But we'll see. I don't chrono until after I find my perfect and/or max load. That way I know it will group, then I can make my 10-shot string to get my MV and ES.

Yes, your brass won't grow anywhere near as much with the 40* rectangular shoulder, as with the Venturi radius of the Wby caliber.

With more boiler room there is more room for powder, which in theory means more pressure, which turns into higher velocity.

I can't guarantee you will get more than the Wby, but in theory you should. I am at 74gr of 7828 SSC with 210's and haven't seen a pressure sign yet. So, I should be sending the 210's over the 3K mark, and by the time I get my load finalized, I should be closer to 3,100. But we'll see. I don't chrono until after I find my perfect and/or max load. That way I know it will group, then I can make my 10-shot string to get my MV and ES.

Seems like a great cartridge to me! I just think I may stick to the standard .300 WBY, that Ackley sure attracts me though. I always like oddball cartridges and this one fits the bill but probably just going to stick with a standard round for now. Will definitely consider the .300 Ackley down the road though!

I would like to ask another question. Would the .300 RUM be worth looking into with only a 26" barrel? All of the load data I have looked over suggests the RUM just burns more powder than the Weatherby but doesn't have much gain in velocity. What is you alls experience with the RUM? Do you think it would be worth considering it? Thanks

Seems like a great cartridge to me! I just think I may stick to the standard .300 WBY, that Ackley sure attracts me though. I always like oddball cartridges and this one fits the bill but probably just going to stick with a standard round for now. Will definitely consider the .300 Ackley down the road though!

I would like to ask another question. Would the .300 RUM be worth looking into with only a 26" barrel? All of the load data I have looked over suggests the RUM just burns more powder than the Weatherby but doesn't have much gain in velocity. What is you alls experience with the RUM? Do you think it would be worth considering it? Thanks

IMO, other calibers can do the same with less powder for example... 7STW vs 7RUM. .300 Wby vs .300 RUM.

But some will argue, as people have different opinions.

I can't guarantee you will get more than the Wby, but in theory you should. I am at 74gr of 7828 SSC with 210's and haven't seen a pressure sign yet. .....

More capacity mean more fuel, the more fuel you can (efficiently) burn, the more power that is generated. You should be running the same pressure peak, just more push behind it with the extra powder.

With the Ackley shoulder, you're spot on. Brass will not stretch as much as a conventional cartridge; Ackley got it right with that design.

Just food for thought, after running a handful of Ackley cartridges. By design, Ackley cartridges are capable of masking pressure issues until you're well above the "normal" range. While i'm in no way saying you're over pressure I wanted to drop that tid bit as it's something to look out for.

In all honesty, I don't like the RUM in a 26" barrel. With that being said, it will still outrun the WBY or the Win mag in a 26" tube running the same pressure. As the barrel length extends, you will see the RUM pull away even further. In my opinion, there really is no replacement for displacement. I believe this becomes even more prevalent when the bore diameter goes down i.e. 7RUM. I feel you'd have to go +28" (30" would be better) to see the advantage offered by the increased powder capacity. Just not enough are in that little bore to burn all that powder, IMHO.

It's really up to the end user to decide if it's worth it in the long run. Can you get more velocity out of the RUM (7mm or 30cal)? Yes. How much? & at what cost? That is the $64k question.

t

More capacity mean more fuel, the more fuel you can (efficiently) burn, the more power that is generated. You should be running the same pressure peak, just more push behind it with the extra powder.

With the Ackley shoulder, you're spot on. Brass will not stretch as much as a conventional cartridge; Ackley got it right with that design.

Just food for thought, after running a handful of Ackley cartridges. By design, Ackley cartridges are capable of masking pressure issues until you're well above the "normal" range. While i'm in no way saying you're over pressure I wanted to drop that tid bit as it's something to look out for.

In all honesty, I don't like the RUM in a 26" barrel. With that being said, it will still outrun the WBY or the Win mag in a 26" tube running the same pressure. As the barrel length extends, you will see the RUM pull away even further. In my opinion, there really is no replacement for displacement. I believe this becomes even more prevalent when the bore diameter goes down i.e. 7RUM. I feel you'd have to go +28" (30" would be better) to see the advantage offered by the increased powder capacity. Just not enough are in that little bore to burn all that powder, IMHO.

It's really up to the end user to decide if it's worth it in the long run. Can you get more velocity out of the RUM (7mm or 30cal)? Yes. How much? & at what cost? That is the $64k question.

t

Ya I was thinking with like a 28" barrel the .300 RUM would pull ahead but I think I'm just going to stick with the .300 WBY idea. I don't think the slight gain would be worth the extra powder, muzzle blast, or recoil. I also noticed that the best powder for the .300 RUM is Retumbo and I have honestly only seen 1lb of this for sale before around here. Where as the .300 WBY burns 7828 nicely and I can find this stuff everywhere, including my own personal supply haha.

Ya I was thinking with like a 28" barrel the .300 RUM would pull ahead but I think I'm just going to stick with the .300 WBY idea. I don't think the slight gain would be worth the extra powder, muzzle blast, or recoil. I also noticed that the best powder for the .300 RUM is Retumbo and I have honestly only seen 1lb of this for sale before around here. Where as the .300 WBY burns 7828 nicely and I can find this stuff everywhere, including my own personal supply haha.

Believe it or not, Berger's load data (from before they put out a manual) shows 7828 only 5fps behind Retumbo in the RUM with a 210 VLD.

t

Believe it or not, Berger's load data (from before they put out a manual) shows 7828 only 5fps behind Retumbo in the RUM with a 210 VLD.

t

I can believe that. I'm getting incredible results with 7828 SSC....A lot of people scoff at it, since it's not a new Hodgy "Extreme" or Vhit "high-dollar" powder, and it's been around for a while. Plus, I think a lot of people think I'm FOS about having such bad luck with H1000 not being temp-stable in several of my calibers. The Hodgdon burn chart puts 7828/7828 SSC at 1 spot above Reloder 25, but people keep arguing and saying that its closer to 22, which it is NOT.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates_121211.pdf

I can't wait till IMR 7977 becomes available...I'm gonna give that one a go in my bigger magnums to see how much velocity I can get out of them. :D

I personally believe stability has as much to do with application as it does with manufacture. I could be wrong but my personal experience back my claim up, at leasst in my applications :cool:

You're spot on, 7828 & RL-25 are right beside eachother. I load 300winny for a friend using 7828, Holy hammer of god does it shoot! Great velocity, good consistency on the chrono... I'm a fan of 7828.

t

Thanks for this information guys! Did not know 7828 was so effective in the .300 RUM! We have had nothing but success with 7828 so will continue to use it and rely on it. My Dad loves it in his .240 WBY and .300 WBY because of the accuracy and velocities it creates.

I use 7828 in one 300RUM as well as longs of belted magnums.

I will be trying it on another.

It's a very nice powder. Predictable is good characteristic and 7828 has it.

SSC or not depends on the case capacity.

You can go regular to SSC for load data but not reverse unless you are sure of case capacity.

I have always experienced some slowing of FPS when going from regular to SSC and I put this down to pure case volume+burn cycle expansion dynamics. Easilly fixed with an adjustment to the charge. Accuracy one the charge adjustments are made is the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts