.224 cartridge dilemma/discussion

Mike D Texas

I have the following rifles on hand currently in .224 caliber (other than ARs with 5.56/.223).

• Remington 700 VSSF clone in 220 Swift. I bought a takeoff factory barrel several years ago. I finally got around to buying an HS Precision Sendero stock direct from Remington before the bankruptcy and I bought a 700 stainless LA action. Had my gunsmith fit up/headspace the barrel; none of the factory barrel stamping are clocked correct but we wanted to see if it would shoot first. Well, with factory Hornady 50 grain Vmax ammo the thing shoots in the .3 range consistently! I don't Varmint hunt and it has a 14 twist barrel so options are limited there.
  • I also have a semi custom 22-250 AI with a R700 receiver that has been trued up, Bartlein Remington Varmint contour 5R 7 twist stainless barrel, McMillan hunter stock, Jewell trigger, Magpul DBM 🤦🏼‍♂️ & PTG 1 piece bolt. It shoots 90 grain Speer Gold Dots in the .3-.4 range. It's an awesome looking rifle with the stock and cerakote job that is on it. My main issue with it is I find myself wanting a custom action and carbon barrel. I absolutely would build it the same way but with the changes noted. I have plenty of fire formed Lapua brass as well as unformed brass, dies, etc.
So I find myself weighing pros and cons of each of the rifles I own and now the 22 Creedmoor is on the scene. I'm not sure it offers anything over the Swift or the 22-250 AI but it has to be considered I think.

I've been consistently moving away from factory rifles and semi custom rifles and thinning down to just the ones I want/need.

• So the 220 Swift is a nostalgia cartridge for me and it shoots exceptionally well. But it's handicapped by sub par brass (to me) and the 14 twist barrel is less than ideal for my needs. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself it needs to go. And I find myself wanting to rebarrel it and make in an AI as well; which is probably a fool's errand.
  • While I really like the looks of my 22-250AI, it's losing its luster in its current configuration to me.
  • Do I really want a Creedmoor? GAG.🤮
My heart tells me to sell both and build another 22-250AI with a fast twist barrel, properly throated for heavy Bergers and configured the way I would want it.

It's no secret I love me some improved cartridges.

Sorry for the late night rambling, just looking for additional thoughts.

I personally don't like having several guns chamered in cartridges that just compete with each other. I vote to consolidate to just one premium 22CM or 22-250AI considering you already have the dies and what not. But a 22CM would be cool, and new chamberber/data collecting to get you back fired up and out to the range testing new things! That's how my brain works anyways haha.

Keep both but rebarrel the Swift to handle the heavies and enjoy an old school classic with legendary Frank Glaser status....

"In the late 1930s and into the 1940s I had a Winchester Model 70 .220 Swift, and killed everything with it—moose, grizzly bear, caribou, sheep. However, the little 48-grain bullet didn't perform well on grizzlies. But with a lung shot on hoofed game the Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."
His grizzly story with his Swift is fun to read.

You can never have too many 22 cals! I've played the sell and consolidate game and trade this for that because it serves x purpose better.
I regret getting rid of a lot of guns that I did this with. Keep what you got and just add a fast twist 22 creed and you have all the bases covered. This is just my .02 of course.

Take your 22-250AI and repaint the stock and cerekote it flat black. Build a 6CM custom on a SA with 7 twist. Good brass available now, bullets are fair depending.

Take your 22-250AI and repaint the stock and cerekote it flat black. Build a 6CM custom on a SA with 7 twist. Good brass available now, bullets are fair depending.
it would kill my soul to paint the 22-250. And I'm not at all interested in getting into another caliber (6mm).

43CF5474-5E88-45F7-BD41-2F40E4480404.jpeg
D94022B6-AC79-452B-A993-DC2558D20A41.jpeg
03BC96C1-B360-42DF-B8A5-00372625A113.jpeg

As much as I want a 22 Creed too, it won't do anything the 22-250 AI can't do. If you didn't already have the 22-250 AI, I would say 22 Creed for sure.

Based on what you have currently, I think in 22 cal you are lacking an inexpensive non barrel burning cartridge. Maybe 223 Rem, 22 BR or 22 GT.

As much as I want a 22 Creed too, it won't do anything the 22-250 AI can't do. If you didn't already have the 22-250 AI, I would say 22 Creed for sure.

Based on what you have currently, I think in 22 cal you are lacking an inexpensive non barrel burning cartridge. Maybe 223 Rem, 22 BR or 22 GT.
I had a 223 Remington, I just never shot it so I sold it.