Rifle dilemma

I'd stick with the 7mm and load up some 150gr Hammer Hunter bullets. You will never look back and if you can shoot straight, tracking will become a lost art..

Everyone's gotta have a long range type rifle, a standard packing rifle and a carbine. You got the long 7 mag covered so look for a used Tikka in 7mm-08. They make tack driving lightweight left handed rifles. Another good option is the Ruger American Predator line. Left handed available 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08 and 308. Tack drivers for 400 bucks. Lastly, keep an eye out of a carbine lever action 30-30 ot 44 mag. Such a fun way to hunt! I love shooting my 16.5" barrel 44 mag with lever revolution ammo at bucks under 100 yds. Us lefty's have good options today if a guy looks.

Don't need a left handed bolt. I been left handed all my live. Only one time I use a left handed action. I am faster with the right hand action. It never brother me in Vietnam using full auto either.

Don't need a left handed bolt. I been left handed all my live. Only one time I use a left handed action. I am faster with the right hand action. It never brother me in Vietnam using full auto either.

I suppose one can always learn to use something if that's all one has. Left hand stuff is commonly available so there's really "no need" to make do with something designed for someone else. A couple stores down the road from me have several on the rack. Good thing we don't have to deal with left handed scopes.:D

i6E9TUR.jpg

ioas6Z0.jpg

I am seeking guidance on what to do for a general white tail rifle with a max range out to probably 400 yards or so. I am primarily a bow hunter, but decided this last year to fill my tag with a rifle and took a nice 8 point buck. Unfortunately I had sold off all of my hunting rifles to build a long range 6 creedmoor off of a bighorn TL3, which was terrible to carry in the field.
I ended up picking up a savage 110 storm in 7mm rem mag, but I am concerned that it's too much gun for whitetail in my range limitations. Now I am debating getting a 20" .308 barrel for the tl3 or selling the savage and getting a tikka in .308 or 30-06.
I have had several hunting rifles in the past that would fill this role perfectly, but I tend to get inpatient and sell them off to fund other projects. I want to just have a rifle set up in the safe that I can grab if I don't fill my tag with a bow, and just stick with it. Is the tikka worth it over the savage? Am I foolish to not utilize the awesome action I have set up with a great trigger and scope? Why can't I buy them all?
Stick with the 7 mag

I am seeking guidance on what to do for a general white tail rifle with a max range out to probably 400 yards or so. I am primarily a bow hunter, but decided this last year to fill my tag with a rifle and took a nice 8 point buck. Unfortunately I had sold off all of my hunting rifles to build a long range 6 creedmoor off of a bighorn TL3, which was terrible to carry in the field.
I ended up picking up a savage 110 storm in 7mm rem mag, but I am concerned that it's too much gun for whitetail in my range limitations. Now I am debating getting a 20" .308 barrel for the tl3 or selling the savage and getting a tikka in .308 or 30-06.
I have had several hunting rifles in the past that would fill this role perfectly, but I tend to get inpatient and sell them off to fund other projects. I want to just have a rifle set up in the safe that I can grab if I don't fill my tag with a bow, and just stick with it. Is the tikka worth it over the savage? Am I foolish to not utilize the awesome action I have set up with a great trigger and scope? Why can't I buy them all?
I built a heavy 6.5x47 for grins. Liked it so much I built a light 6.5x47 for hunting. If you use the same reamer on a lightweight 6 creedmoor, you could use all the same components and dies for both. Either way good luck.

I suppose one can always learn to use something if that's all one has. Left hand stuff is commonly available so there's really "no need" to make do with something designed for someone else. A couple stores down the road from me have several on the rack. Good thing we don't have to deal with left handed scopes.:D

i6E9TUR.jpg

ioas6Z0.jpg
You haven't heard about the left side windage turrets?

Personally, the 7mag will do it all and well, but for 400yd hunting with less recoil and burning less powder I'd go to the 7-08 or 280. Same bullets so no increase in stock. Depending on the powder the 7mag and 280 may be same too.
the inexpensive Ruger and Savages are hard to beat, accurate, and great rifles. Are they Tikka's? Nope, but they are shockingly good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.