7mm dilemma !!!!

Travis,

After just reading through the pages of this thread I was about to respond to support the 7x300, aka 7mm Rogue, so I am suprised to see your response. Why pick the 7RM instead?

I for one like the opportunity to use what I see as higher quality brass(Norma) in the 300. Been using Norma brass in a .280 I bought this year for a goat hunt and find it to be excellent vs the usual Winchester or Remington brass I have used. Have heard that Nosler brass was soft, but no personal experience to verify.

The 7x300's variations all seem to be more efficient using the longer bullets(168-180) than either the 7RM or 7STW.

The downside of the wildcat seems to be 1) Picking a non-SAAMI reamer, 2) No headstamped brass, and 3) No factory chamberings if you are looking for emergency ammo. No knock on those that don't reload, but I'd think most on here that are serious LR hunters do.

This said, I shoot 2 7RM's now, so it's not like I have anything against them, but it seems like I'd have a hard time getting over 3000fps with 180's without a really long barrel, and I think =/-26" is ideal for me as I would prefer a break.

On paper, everything is looks good. :cool:

If you want to easily get past 3,000 fps with a 180, then the STW is the largest of the efficient 7mm calibers there is. Once you go beyond the STW, the efficiency drops off and the point of diminishing returns increases significantly.

I'm a hair under 3K (2960 or 2980) with my STW and 180's and not even pushing it at all, with a 26" barrel. I'm at 71gr of 7828 SSC, and I have zero ejector marks, or flattened primers, so I'm going to continue ladder-testing on up to see what my highest powder charge and velocity I can get before pressure signs with Nosler brass.

I briefly owned an STW and was pleasantly suprised by the speed I obtained using H1000 and 168 bergers(it was a 10 twist), and even the recoil seemed better than expected, most likely due to an excellent McMillan stock. What I did not like was availability of brass except for Nosler.

I lean toward a 7x300 due to availability of brass, and excellent brass at that. Of course I don't own one so my opinions are not based on first hand experience, which is always best and why I ask toooo many questions some times.

Brian

I shot a 7stw for several years. Great caliber. With 7stw brass getting hard to find and having a set of 7-300 weatherby dies I bought a reamer and had one rifle rechambered and built another. I use 7stw starting loads and with imr7828 am getting 3100 with berger 180 hybrids. About the same as the 7stw was doing. And no problem getting brass.

I believe a 300 Weatherby case is a world of difference from a 300 Win. I would think a 7-300Weatherby is closer to a Ultra Mag, capacity wise, than it is to an STW case.

If a 300 Weatherby can push a 180 grain partition 3250, I would imagine it would push a .284, 180 grain berger pretty fast as well, but are you using 90gr of powder to do so?

I would prefer a 180gr Berger going 3000-3050 using only 70-74gr of powder, assuming better barrel life and much more reasonable recoil. I calculate as much as 20% recoil in ft/lbs. Shooting my buddies big Weatherby was never fun!

I believe a 300 Weatherby case is a world of difference from a 300 Win. I would think a 7-300Weatherby is closer to a Ultra Mag, capacity wise, than it is to an STW case.

If a 300 Weatherby can push a 180 grain partition 3250, I would imagine it would push a .284, 180 grain berger pretty fast as well, but are you using 90gr of powder to do so?

I would prefer a 180gr Berger going 3000-3050 using only 70-74gr of powder, assuming better barrel life and much more reasonable recoil. I calculate as much as 20% recoil in ft/lbs. Shooting my buddies big Weatherby was never fun!

You would hate my .300 Ackley then.... It's a 700 Sendero SF (26" barrel) that the chamber was punched out to .300 Ackely (.300 Wby improved with a 40* shoulder) pushing 210 VLD's and NO muzzle brake...... :D

Travis,

After just reading through the pages of this thread I was about to respond to support the 7x300, aka 7mm Rogue, so I am suprised to see your response. Why pick the 7RM instead?

I for one like the opportunity to use what I see as higher quality brass(Norma) in the 300. Been using Norma brass in a .280 I bought this year for a goat hunt and find it to be excellent vs the usual Winchester or Remington brass I have used. Have heard that Nosler brass was soft, but no personal experience to verify.

The 7x300's variations all seem to be more efficient using the longer bullets(168-180) than either the 7RM or 7STW.

The downside of the wildcat seems to be 1) Picking a non-SAAMI reamer, 2) No headstamped brass, and 3) No factory chamberings if you are looking for emergency ammo. No knock on those that don't reload, but I'd think most on here that are serious LR hunters do.

This said, I shoot 2 7RM's now, so it's not like I have anything against them, but it seems like I'd have a hard time getting over 3000fps with 180's without a really long barrel, and I think =/-26" is ideal for me as I would prefer a break.

The 7 rogue is a good case design, but really it's only 60-75 fps faster than my 7 rem mags in the same barrel length. My chamber design in the rem mag is a little different and allows us to get 3000 + with the 180s and keep pressure correct. I have built 100's of them and they all have performed very close to the same numbers. 26" barrels run 3000-3030. 27" barrels run 3020-3050. 28's are 3070-3100. Keep in mind this is with my chamber. For simplicity and ready to go brass, the 7 rm is hard to beat.

Thanks all the advice guys!!! I'm thinking the 7mm remington mag will do everything I'm gonna be doing. Plan to shoot Berger 180's , if anything I can always change the barrel and go with any of these other calibers. Still love the wildcats though!!!!! Still thanks for the info!!!!!

Sounds great Travis. 3000fps with a 26" barrel on 180gr bullets with .700+ bc sounds spectacular for killing big game to 1000 yds.

I am getting 3100 with 74 grains of imr7828 in the 7-300 weatherby. Not a hot load, but very accurate. All of the 7 mags will do a great job and there is not a lot of practical difference in them.

Intriguing, would have expected a lot more powder going into that case given it has a such a large capacity. Quick research shows a .300Weatherby capacity is about 100gr, vs (300 Win 90gr, 7mm Weatherby 87gr, 7mm RM 83gr). Of course these wil vary.

I've been on here for 8 yrs and have SOOOO much to learn. It certainly isn't always 1+1=2 is it!

Both the 7stw and the 7-300 weatherby hold about 96 grains of water according to a quick check on my scale. Thats why i started with 7stw load data. I stopped at 74 gr 7828 because accuracy was great and velocity was about what i was looking for. I wanted a load that was not hard on the rifle and brass. The only real difference between the 2 is right now I can get weatherby brass a lot easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.