.224 cartridge dilemma/discussion

4EC0E409-0B7D-4C6A-B47C-E524F901CB2E.jpeg
E1ED1F08-0430-4AF7-8180-E29A127C9938.jpeg

I could not disrespect a rifle by tattooing it with the Creedmoor name. Might as well just carve a giant dick on it while you're at it. If you want a fast 22 cal I'd pick a 22-250AI or if you want to shoot 75's or more the 22-243AI is a good one.

I could not disrespect a rifle by tattooing it with the Creedmoor name. Might as well just carve a giant dick on it while you're at it. If you want a fast 22 cal I'd pick a 22-250AI or if you want to shoot 75's or more the 22-243AI is a good one.
Yup that's the dumbassery I was taking about right there. If it was up to people like you .45-90 would be the height of ballistic advancement. Maybe a triple shot of powder behind a .32 caliber round ball with a nice gain twist.

Yup that's the dumbassery I was taking about right there. If it was up to people like you .45-90 would be the height of ballistic advancement. Maybe a triple shot of powder behind a .32 caliber round ball with a nice gain twist.
Nothing wrong with a 22 CREEDMOOR, Ballistically it's a great cartridge. But there are plenty of other proven options that aren't as gay.

I have the following rifles on hand currently in .224 caliber (other than ARs with 5.56/.223).

• Remington 700 VSSF clone in 220 Swift. I bought a takeoff factory barrel several years ago. I finally got around to buying an HS Precision Sendero stock direct from Remington before the bankruptcy and I bought a 700 stainless LA action. Had my gunsmith fit up/headspace the barrel; none of the factory barrel stamping are clocked correct but we wanted to see if it would shoot first. Well, with factory Hornady 50 grain Vmax ammo the thing shoots in the .3 range consistently! I don't Varmint hunt and it has a 14 twist barrel so options are limited there.
  • I also have a semi custom 22-250 AI with a R700 receiver that has been trued up, Bartlein Remington Varmint contour 5R 7 twist stainless barrel, McMillan hunter stock, Jewell trigger, Magpul DBM 🤦🏼‍♂️ & PTG 1 piece bolt. It shoots 90 grain Speer Gold Dots in the .3-.4 range. It's an awesome looking rifle with the stock and cerakote job that is on it. My main issue with it is I find myself wanting a custom action and carbon barrel. I absolutely would build it the same way but with the changes noted. I have plenty of fire formed Lapua brass as well as unformed brass, dies, etc.
So I find myself weighing pros and cons of each of the rifles I own and now the 22 Creedmoor is on the scene. I'm not sure it offers anything over the Swift or the 22-250 AI but it has to be considered I think.

I've been consistently moving away from factory rifles and semi custom rifles and thinning down to just the ones I want/need.

• So the 220 Swift is a nostalgia cartridge for me and it shoots exceptionally well. But it's handicapped by sub par brass (to me) and the 14 twist barrel is less than ideal for my needs. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself it needs to go. And I find myself wanting to rebarrel it and make in an AI as well; which is probably a fool's errand.
  • While I really like the looks of my 22-250AI, it's losing its luster in its current configuration to me.
  • Do I really want a Creedmoor? GAG.🤮
My heart tells me to sell both and build another 22-250AI with a fast twist barrel, properly throated for heavy Bergers and configured the way I would want it.

It's no secret I love me some improved cartridges.

Sorry for the late night rambling, just looking for additional thoughts.
Your 22-250AI and the .22 Creedmoor are pretty much the same thing. The Creedmoor has the advantage of quality properly head stamped brass. If I were doing another, out of those you mentioned, I'd definitely go .22 Creedmoor. An option you didn't mention, and one I am currently shooting and liking is the .22GT. A bit less case capacity than the Creedmoor with about 100fps less velocity and significantly longer barrel life.

John

Despite what all the Fudds on this site say, the Creedmoor case design is the new standard. I'm just debating if I should fast or slow twist it. That being said, if I already had a .22-250AI that shot as well as yours? I'd stick with that gun.
If you want a different twist, build a new .22-250AI, you're already all set up for the cartridge. For the heavier bullets where the .22-250AI normally doesn't sit in the same class as the creedmoor, you can always get a longer throated reamer, or just a throat reamer to give you that extra room.
I'm an "Old fudd" and when, My .22-250 Rem.,.. goes "South" it's, the "New Standard",.. .22 CREEDMOOR for,.. ME !
Going, 1-9 Twist to, shoot, the Accurate and Fast, 53 gr. V-Max- 55 NBT's, up to, the 69 gr. TMK's & SMK's and, the Awesome, 73 grain, Berger, BT's at around, 3,400 - 3,500 FPS with, serious accuracy and, 1/2 way descent, Barrel Life.
IF I need Bigger, I have a 6 XC with 103 ELD-X going, 3,000 FPS with an Extra Click or, Two on, the Scope Dial.
I believe that, ALL, the New Hornady Cartridge Design's, ARE,.. Great !
I'll just call it, My .22 Creed. and go On with,.. Life

Last edited:
Well I really like my .224 Valkyrie. It is a challenge to find the right load for the rifle, but to reach out to a minimum of 1000yards, it seems to me to be the best of the .224 cartridges.
I love my Valkyrie bolt gun. Took a long time to find a load but once I did it's been fantastic. Won or placed well in a few PRS style matches with it even. IMR 4350 or A2460 is the ticket behind Berger 90gr. It's stays supersonic to 1250 with those loads.

I have never blown primers out of cases on any cartridge as I did with an AR Val. Obviously, after all the years of reloading, this cartridge with the heavies presented issues that were out of my league...humbling to say the least. Powders that I was familiar with had pressure spikes that were unbelievable.

I made the decision that if I were going to go down this road, the heavies in a 22 PPC with strong Lapua brass was the way I would go.

I would defer to Idaho Lefty, he has forgotten more about this heavy bullet thing than I will ever know.

Have you given any thought to a 22-284? I haven't seen any data with heavy pills, but it will run 60 grain partitions over 4000 fps.

Recent Posts