.224 cartridge dilemma/discussion

Realistically shoot whitetail and pigs and enjoy shooting with virtually no recoil at targets.

Sounds like you're running a 14 twist, there are a ton load of bullets 55's-63's that work like a charm out of that combo. The 55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp and hp, 63 Sierra.

Our 22/250 is a 14 twist and we run those bullets for all that moves here from lopes, to bear to deer and elk.

Mike, there is enough meat on the shank of that sendero to cut some off and make it into a 22/250 AI. Worst case, you have to put a barrel nut on it, depending on how much you have to cut off.

Sounds like you're running a 14 twist, there are a ton load of bullets 55's-63's that work like a charm out of that combo. The 55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn sp and hp, 63 Sierra.

Our 22/250 is a 14 twist and we run those bullets for all that moves here from lopes, to bear to deer and elk.
The 220 Swift is a 14 twist, 22-250AI is a 7 twist.

It sounds like you'd like your current 22-250 AI more if it were on a custom action... Life is too short, so I'd say build the rifle you really want!

Despite what all the Fudds on this site say, the Creedmoor case design is the new standard. I'm just debating if I should fast or slow twist it. That being said, if I already had a .22-250AI that shot as well as yours? I'd stick with that gun.
If you want a different twist, build a new .22-250AI, you're already all set up for the cartridge. For the heavier bullets where the .22-250AI normally doesn't sit in the same class as the creedmoor, you can always get a longer throated reamer, or just a throat reamer to give you that extra room.

Despite what all the Fudds on this site say, the Creedmoor case design is the new standard. I'm just debating if I should fast or slow twist it. That being said, if I already had a .22-250AI that shot as well as yours? I'd stick with that gun.
If you want a different twist, build a new .22-250AI, you're already all set up for the cartridge. For the heavier bullets where the .22-250AI normally doesn't sit in the same class as the creedmoor, you can always get a longer throated reamer, or just a throat reamer to give you that extra room.
There is absolutely nothing special about the Creedmoor case. It's just mainstreamed an improved case design that wildcatters have been doing for decades. Marketing is what sells Creedmoors.

Anyway I shoot 90 grain Gold Dots I'm it for hunting and it slings them at 3400+. I have no idea how much freebore the reamer has, I had Bartlein do all of the work including the chambering.

As I've learned more about all this stuff, I do prefer to design and buy my own reamers and if I do change anything with this I will do the same with it.

Lol Mike, either the Creedmoor case design isn't anything special or it's an improved case design. Gotta pick one.
Good marketing it may be, but it's put that improved design into the hands of people who do standard reloading or just buy ammo off the shelf.
I'm not doubting you but a 90gr pill at 3400 is waaay over any published speeds for the AI. I'm curious as to what powder you're using.

Lol Mike, either the Creedmoor case design isn't anything special or it's an improved case design. Gotta pick one.
Good marketing it may be, but it's put that improved design into the hands of people who do standard reloading or just buy ammo off the shelf.
I'm not doubting you but a 90gr pill at 3400 is waaay over any published speeds for the AI. I'm curious as to what powder you're using.
Reloder 17.
It runs the 50 grain VMax at 3950.

All I mean by my comment on the CM case is, it's not some new, earth shattering design.

The high end brass for the 220 swift aren't out there, or I haven't seen them. I have a 220swift in a Mauser action It a tack drive with 55gr bullets and 52gr bullets. It's 1-14 twist rate. Why anybody would need an AI in that chambering is belong me. I would go to a 22/250AI and faster twists for heaver bullets.
Increased velocity and no brass trimming for starters

Recent Posts