7-300 or 28 nosler

What does the stw offer that the other 2 don't?
Almost identical velocities to the Nosler with less powder and the "cool factor", along with less rapid throat erosion.

Higher velocities by a good bit than can be achieved by the 7mm x .300wm and the availability of factory ammo from multiple sources.

If I were going to do a Wildcat I'd probably just do a 7mm x .375 Ruger since I'm rapidly building a lifetime supply of .375 Ruger Brass.

28 Nolser cases are excellent. The case head is about .060 thicker than Lapua cases, they hold serious pressure. The neck thickness runout is the best I have seen on un-turned cases. You could not give me a belted anything. I like to run high pressures and need to be able to size my cases all the way down. Just had a customer bring some brass by and his 300WM. 2 firings on Norma cases and they are toast, 3 different dies would not size the case far enough down to eliminate tight bolt close. Larry Willis die hopefully will fix it. No thanks to all that. And Im not just telling you to go that way because I own one, so that makes it better. I dont own either.
Something is seriously wrong with either his dies or his set up. I've got .300wm's loaded now that are on their 8th or 9th loading and 7mm STW's on their 7th and these are cases I've fired in three different rifles of each caliber.

When I was still shooting the 7mm Rm I routinely loaded both Remington and Winchester brass as many times.

The STW should just be laid to rest, I've rebarreled many to 28 Nosler and none so far have any interest in going back to the old turd. I've built quite a number of 7-300 wins and it's a good round also, a little slower, little longer overall length, less neck.
So, you consider those other 2 to be well-designed "modern" rounds, but the STW is outdated and useless? :rolleyes:

.300WM has been around nearly 2 decades (16 years) longer than the STW, so I guess we might as well throw it's hat into the "old turd" euthanasia ring, as well, right? With things like the .30 Nosler & .300 RUM, who needs the old outdated short-necked belted .300WinMag. If we go by that mentality, might as well just chunk that old turd out of the window, too. Same for all the Weatherby cartridges, the .308 Win, .270 Win, .30-06 Sprg, 6.5x55 Swede because it's been around since 1894, .22-250, .260 Rem... Hell, why don't we just kill-off any cartridge that was created before the 6.5 Creepmoor... :rolleyes:

Having never played with a STW or 7-300wm, where do they max out with a 195? In the 28s I have worked with I can run them up to 3200 before hitting pressure with rl33 in 26".

I would be building another STW as we type if Alex Wheeler had a STW reamer on hand. LOL.
As it turned out he had a 28 reamer and that is why I'm building the Nosler. Been wanting to play the 28 anyway so it all worked out.

Something is seriously wrong with either his dies or his set up. I've got .300wm's loaded now that are on their 8th or 9th loading and 7mm STW's on their 7th and these are cases I've fired in three different rifles of each caliber.

When I was still shooting the 7mm Rm I routinely loaded both Remington and Winchester brass as many times.
The belt expands as does a very thin ring of brass just in front of it. The die does not size that part of the case. To get the die to size all the way to the belt he would be pushing the shoulder back .020". Most dies dont size enough at the base as it is, ad in a belt and its worse. Its real simple, if you are not sizing part of the case, and your running high pressures your going to have problems. Cutting a chamber that measures what the reamer does also does not help. Wallowed out factory chambers will allow the dies to work more.

Last edited:
I would be building another STW as we type if Alex Wheeler had a STW reamer on hand. LOL.
As it turned out he had a 28 reamer and that is why I'm building the Nosler. Been wanting to play the 28 anyway so it all worked out.
I own 2 belted reamers, 300 wm and 7 mag. I do not plan to get anymore. :)

So, you consider those other 2 to be well-designed "modern" rounds, but the STW is outdated and useless? :rolleyes:

.300WM has been around nearly 2 decades (16 years) longer than the STW, so I guess we might as well throw it's hat into the "old turd" euthanasia ring, as well, right? With things like the .30 Nosler & .300 RUM, who needs the old outdated short-necked belted .300WinMag. If we go by that mentality, might as well just chunk that old turd out of the window, too. Same for all the Weatherby cartridges, the .308 Win, .270 Win, .30-06 Sprg, 6.5x55 Swede because it's been around since 1894, .22-250, .260 Rem... Hell, why don't we just kill-off any cartridge that was created before the 6.5 Creepmoor... :rolleyes:

Well you took that to full ****** quick!!

I don't like the 7-300 win but I can't deny that the thing shoots and shoots well and fits, I've built better than 20 of them and they never fail to be impressive though I personally don't like it.
I'm not a fan of the 300 RUM either the 30 Nosler does a beautiful job of replacing it and the 300 win all with a better coal and good bullet position, the 300 Win will never die cause it works and has a plethora of options, it's an old turd that still make sense for many. The STW makes no sense, with any decent bullet seated for capacity and accuracy it takes a lot of mag box, brass is poop, availability is poop, it's poop always has, always will be, it can join the 7 RUM!!
There are many old designs that are still impacting the shooting sports, the STW is impacting the junk barrel bins of gunsmiths everywhere, the only chambering I have more scrap barrels of of is the 7 mag!!!

Last edited:
Well you to that to full ****** quick!!

I don't like the 7-300 win but I can't deny that the thing shoots and shoots well and fits, I've built better than 20 of them and they never fail to be impressive though I personally don't like it.
I'm not a fan of the 300 RUM either the 30 Nosler does a beautiful job of replacing it and the 300 win all with a better coal and good bullet position, the 300 Win will never die cause it works and has a plethora of options, it's an old turd that still make sense for many. The STW makes no sense, with any decent bullet seated for capacity and accuracy it takes a lot of mag box, brass is poop, availability is poop, it's poop always has, always will be, it can join the 7 RUM!!
There are many old designs that are still impacting the shooting sports, the STW is impacting the junk barrel bins of gunsmiths everywhere, the only chambering I have more scrap barrels of of is the 7 mag!!!

L:DL! You crack me up. :cool:

The belt expands as does a very thin ring of brass just in front of it. The die does not size that part of the case. To get the die to size all the way to the belt he would be pushing the shoulder back .020". Most dies dont size enough at the base as it is, ad in a belt and its worse. Its real simple, if you are not sizing part of the case, and your running high pressures your going to have problems. Cutting a chamber that measures what the reamer does also does not help. Wallowed out factory chambers will allow the dies to work more.
Alex I've done the same with more than a dozen magnum rifles and tens of thousands of rounds since I got my first 7mm Rem in about 1976.

I have yet to run into that problem and in all that time I can only remember 3 cases cracking at or just above the belt. When they have cracked I knew I'd run past their useful life and tried one to many and those were all cracks running the length of the neck or around it's base. I haven't seen one of those since the 90's.

If he can't get his loads properly resized, there's either something wrong with his equipment or his setup.

I'm only one of millions of guys who've all had the same experience with belted magnums since the first came out 105 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.