7-300 or 28 nosler

So a little back ground on me. I stated shooting 1k Br some years ago, was successful, still hold 2 world records, build rifles for a living. NO ONE neck sizes any longer, FL sizing has proven more accurate. Do not take my word for it, show up to a Benchrest or F-class match and ask. Its been this way for years. If you full length size properly you will never seen a case head separation. I usually retire brass with the barrel but guys will routinely get over 30-50 reloads on a FL sized case before primer pocket give out or they just toss them. On 30 Nosler I squeeze the shoulder .003", the base .0005" and push the shoulder back .002". Cases will last forever, and those numbers are something every loader should know if they are fl sizing. Your both talking about old ideas and poor sizing techniques. And no, that separation was not from pressure, the split is in the chamber where it was supported. Thats from too much shoulder set back. An no, you dont "run it" 1/2 grain under the point the primer falls out. I worry about you giving anyone advice. Im sharing facts, not my ideas or opinions, sorry if I sound like Im talking down. I will back out of this thread, I dont want to ruin it for the OP. Happy to carry on in a new one or PM

I honestly don't care who someone is, what they've done, or what "records" they've set. I also really don't care to hear a bunch of self-righteous local "pros" (local BR shooters) sit and tell me what they think I should and shouldn't do, when i'm not having any problems with my setups at all. Everything works just fine for me and my reloading setup. We will continue to disagree on the subjects we've already been in disagreement about. I know what works for me, and you know what works for you. The difference is, I'm not saying you're wrong by using your methods of choice, but you're saying that I am. That's where I'm having a problem with this. I had a couple small issues with the STW brass (a mixture of pressure and crappy Federal brass) and the .25-06 AI being overpressure, but instantly corrected them with experience and know-how. I replaced the old Federal STW brass with new Nosler STW brass, and i'm nowhere near pressure signs at all. The brass was just old and brittle. You can know everything about a particular subject, and problems will still find a way to show up from time-to-time. It's just nature. You can't honestly sit there and tell me you've NEVER had any random overpressure issues or had brass crack. If you say you haven't, then you haven't been shooting your rifles enough. I'm not saying you should push it to the dangerous levels, but you should know your rifle's potential. Random pressure spikes and the crappy Federal STW brass are what caused my issues, not ignorance.

So don't sit there on your high-horse and try to state that my advice is bad or dangerous, when I've NEVER given advice that would put someone in danger...EVER! If someone pressures me for actual load data, then I usually tell them a few grains lower than what I actually shoot, just to be SURE they're not going to get hurt or damage their gun. So until you actually know what you THINK you know, I wouldn't recommend judging someone.

I've said my piece on this... My apologies to the OP.

Between the 7-300 and the 28 Nosler there will be about 100-150 fps difference set for ideal seating of a 195 Berger using the best brass, the 7-300 will have a longer overall length but both fit in the 3.850 Wyatt's box just the Nosler has more room, the 28 has an advantage if running a DBM.
The 7-300 has a definite advantage in barrel life.
The 28 tunes and shoots exceptionally good, everything is well balanced despite being a good top end case for the 7mm for practical uses.

I have been running a 7-300 WM with 180 Bergers for the last couple of years. Great combination.
I don't see any advantage going to the 28 NOSLER or the 195 Bergers.

Whatever consistently wins competions is either better, more efficient, or both. It doesn't mean the others won't or don't work, they do, but just not as well. Newer stuff generally evolves on the shortcomings of the displaced "older stuff". Is the 28N one ? Time will tell but Nosler think so.
As to the OP, either one will work and each has its advantages and disadvantages and I think you've been shown most of them.
Let us know which one you choose.

Last edited:
Well that escalated quickly. Thanks for the on topic info. Pretty sure the 7-300 will be the right choice for this build. Similar performance, longer barrel life and more cost efficient for reloading.

Just make sure you get a long mag box so you can shoot the longer bullets...and a decent throat...

My 270 Wby sucked until I got a custom action to where I could push the COAL to over 3.5"...

On a side note...you can look at the 7mm Wby...steep shoulder, long neck...maybe longer barrel life... and commercial brass...about the same capacity as the 7-300...

Last edited:
I like the 28 Nosler case dimensions but I don't like only being able to use Nosler brass. I don't think you will gain anything other than seating depth with the 28 Nosler. If you compare the 30 Nosler to the 300 Winchester mag they are within 2 gr of h2o. After watching this review I think I'd go with the 7-300.

wwwq.jpg
wwwq.jpg
pppop.jpg
I like the 28 Nosler case dimensions but I don't like only being able to use Nosler brass. I don't think you will gain anything other than seating depth with the 28 Nosler. If you compare the 30 Nosler to the 300 Winchester mag they are within 2 gr of h2o. After watching this review I think I'd go with the 7-300.

That Nosler in Broz video is close to testing how tough the Nightforce is

The 28 has a little more capacity than the 30 nosler does. I don't think nosler is going to be the only ones producing brass in the future. Norma is producing 26 nosler brass. I'm hoping ADG or Peterson starts producing it in the future.

Norma is producing 26 nosler brass. I'm hoping ADG or Peterson starts producing it in the future.
I talked with ADG, seems like they will. Other more high volume things first.

My ADG 338 Edge brass looks great. Now to shoot some.

The Nosler brass is extremely good for the 28 and 30's I've played with, you definitely get what you pay for!!

Agreed! I've had excellent luck with Nosler headstamped Nosler magnum cases and their RUM cases, specifically the blem 338 RUM cases I've yet to wear out after 15 loadings. I'm glad I was forced to switch from RP. The Nosler stuff is far superior.

The 28 has a little more capacity than the 30 nosler does. I don't think nosler is going to be the only ones producing brass in the future. Norma is producing 26 nosler brass. I'm hoping ADG or Peterson starts producing it in the future.

Norma brass will in all likelihood be identical to Nosler without the final prep. ADG and Peterson would also be fine options.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.