7 mm on 300 winchester v 28 nosler

ann brezinski

given equal barrel lengths is there much differencs between the to as far as preformance goes?
also has the cost of the 28 nosler brass come down much.
gary b

There will be some slight variations in velocity depending on the throat design and powders being tested. If you run SAAMI chambers there might be 25 - 50 fps difference, for the .28 Nosler. But basically seating and barrel length will set the pace.

I load for both my own 7-300 Win and 28 Nosler. My 7-300 has a 28" barrel and the 28 Nosler has a 26". The 28 Nosler outruns the 7-300 by almost 100 fps even thought the barrel is 2 inches shorter. Either cartridge is great, but the 28 is faster and will give more performance.

I was bored so I filled fired 28 Nosler and 7-300s Wins up to the top with H110. 108 grains for the 28 and 96 for the 7-300. 102 for the STW.

A general rule of thumb is to expect 1/4 of the increased case capacity percentage as a velocity increase. Ex: 12% increase in case capacity=3% increase in velocity potential.

A general rule of thumb is to expect 1/4 of the increased case capacity percentage as a velocity increase. Ex: 12% increase in case capacity=3% increase in velocity potential.
You forgot to take the barrel life times 50% for the 28 nosler bahaha

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts