28 nosler v 7 mm mag

ann brezinski

how much of a real difference is there in velocity between the 7 mm rem and the 28 nosler and for that matter in the 7 mm lrm given 150 to 180 gtain bullets and a 26 inch barrel/

gary b

Every rig is going to produce some differences in velocity, some just run faster while some run slower. Of course different powders are going to produce more or less velocity as well. When I first started out with the STW with the same powder H870 and H1000 I was getting consistent gains of over 125fps shooting the same exact bullets in each and both rifles had 26" barrels.

Given the two calibers in question here though you're talking over 100fps gain. Essentially there's very little difference in the 7mm STW and 28 Nosler velocity wise so I'd expect very similar results.

I'm getting 3230fps with the Berger 180gr hybrids and 3070fps. With the new Berger 195s in my 28 Nosler. 1:8.75 twist 26" Rock barrel.

The biggest difference is you'll be able to buy brass for the rem mag and who knows the long range fate of the Nosler !!!! For 125 fps and a far shorter barrel life I wonder if it's worth going nuts over...

The 28 Noslers I've seen are running 3300ish with 180 Bergers and 3150ish with 195's. Most 7mm Mags I've seen are 2950ish with 180's. So in my sighting its more like 350 fps. These are custom rifles with longer throats not the SAMMI spec chambers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.