7 mm mag

Note that in the article mentioned above, the author used Berger's "Max" load of 66.0 gr. under the 180 HVLD. Hodgdon has the same bullet weight with a 69.5gr. "Max" charge weight at 2884 from a 24" barrel.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

Add another 2" of barrel length at 32fps+/- per 1", and you get 2950ish. Properly sized brass, different COAL/CBTO, and a broken in barrel could net you 3000fps, or very close to it, as mine does.

I shoot a 180 Hybrid (less bearing surface than the HVLD) from my 26" Bartlein @ 3000fps confirmed by 2 different chronographs and actual drops at distances out to 1371 yards. I am over SAAMI COAL, but they still fit in my magazine box (3.686") with room to spare.

I'm getting 2990 with 180 Berger HVLD's and a 28" barrel. Load is 64.3 gr H4831.

From several other reports I have read, it sounds like similar speeds can be reached with the 195 gr Berger VLD's and the 28 Nosler case. I have about 1100 rounds through this barrel, and am considering chambering for the Nosler and 195 VLD next time. I want less wind drift past 1200 yds than I get with the 180's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts