7 mm mag

ann brezinski

I read in shooting times about Greybull precision using a 180 berger with a velocity of 3000 fps out of a 26 inch barrel given even a velocity of say 2950 how much advantage is ther with a 28 nosler or the gunwerks7 mm lrm?
and you can through in the 7 mm weatherby also.
gary

Too be honest in the hunting world .... none ! There can't be all that much difference between the 4 you listed, no animal will ever notice the difference being hit with a starting velocity of 2900-3000 fps. The only difference would be a click or two in the scope at practical shooting distances..maybe the better comparison will be brass availability now and ten years from now...my new personal rule comes into effect here, if I hain't walking out the door at the store unless I have 200 pieces of brass in hand or the rifles not being bought...I refuse anymore to make life more difficult finding brass...there's a huge difference in costs of the rifles you've listed is also an issue, the standard 7mm rem mag can be bought for under $400.00, the Nosler/Weather by for $15/2000.00 and the gunwerks for $4000.00+ depends what you want done, that's a big difference in cost for 100 fps or so. Myself, I'm buying the standard old fashion 7 mm rem mag, it certainly has stood the test of time...

Last edited:
Too be honest in the hunting world .... none ! There can't be all that much difference between the 4 you listed, no animal will ever notice the difference being hit with a starting velocity of 2900-3000 fps. The only difference would be a click or two in the scope at practical shooting distances..maybe the better comparison will be brass availability now and ten years from now...my new personal rule comes into effect here, if I hain't walking out the door at the store unless I have 200 pieces of brass in hand or the rifles not being bought...I refuse anymore to make life more difficult finding brass...there's a huge difference in costs of the rifles you've listed is also an issue, the standard 7mm rem mag can be bought for under $400.00, the Nosler/Weather by for $15/2000.00 and the gunwerks for $4000.00+ depends what you want done, that's a big difference in cost for 100 fps or so. Myself, I'm buying the standard old fashion 7 mm rem mag, it certainly has stood the test of time...

+1. Its been around a long time and its still going strong. The "Big 7" is hard to beat. IMO, its not worth the extra punishment with the bigger magnums when the 7mm RM can still get the job done just fine.

I read in shooting times about Greybull precision using a 180 berger with a velocity of 3000 fps out of a 26 inch barrel given even a velocity of say 2950 how much advantage is ther with a 28 nosler or the gunwerks7 mm lrm?
gary

It boils down to personal preference, intended purpose, and what you're willing and able to afford in time and money.

Please take no offense but I encourage you to do further do research on cartridge design (esp. case capacity), barrels (twist rate), bullets (design properties), propellants, etc ... for all you mentioned above and you'll see where the advantage(s) come to play for your intended purpose as well as the cost associated with the advantage(s), as noted by Frank. Is it worth it??? ... only you can answer that.

Cheers!

Myself, I'm buying the standard old fashion 7 mm rem mag, it certainly has stood the test of time...

+1. Its been around a long time and its still going strong. The "Big 7" is hard to beat. IMO, its not worth the extra punishment with the bigger magnums when the 7mm RM can still get the job done just fine.

Yep, been going strong since '62... And it just keeps getting even better with modern advancements. It's not only stood the test of time...It's also evolved and always shines each time it does evolve, just like the old .308 Win and .30-06. I've been hunting with a 7mmRM for nearly half my life...I've had about 5 different ones over the years. And I can say, out of all the game I've killed with them, the cartridge has never been lacking or left me wanting something more (although I do own bigger magnum cartridges, but simply because I wanted them, not because I felt I needed them).

Also, out of the suggestions, I gotta agree with everyone else above, just buy a 7mmRM and be done with it. You've posted several of these threads over the last year, it's not that hard of a choice, especially when each time you get the same responses and opinions. And if you can't pick just one...But them all! That's why they keep making bigger and bigger gun safes. :D

7 mag is still a great choice. Multiple sources of brass, which is critical these days. The difference in velocity is about .25 moa at 1k. It's still the most popular round I built rigged in every year

A 7RM can attain 3000fps pushing a 180gr. bullet. I shoot the 180 Hybrid out of mine at 3000 with a 26" barrel with no pressure signs. I had them moving quite a bit faster, but not as accurately.

Factory rounds are available everywhere in a pinch. Components are available everywhere. Cheaper to shoot than the 7 Weatherby, 7LRM, and the other big 7s like 28 Nosler, 7 STW, 7 RUM, etc. too.

I bought last year old Sako L61R Magnum in 7mm RM. I let the gunsmith renovate it and it looks great now. According to serial number it was made around 1978, the rifle has 24 1/2" long barrel with varmint contour. I've measured there is 8.6" twist in it. So I tried different 180gr bullets like the Lapua's Scenar-L and Berger's Hybrid.
The Hybrid is my choice, pushed with Norma MRP-2 in RWS cases it flies from my relatively short barrel around 2880-2890 fps with no signs of high pressure. And yes, it's really accurate load, three shots printed 1" group at 300yds.
I like the old rifle and the caliber very much - accurate with mild recoil. In my opinion calibers like 28 Nosler or 7mm RUM are little bit too much. I think there is not so massive difference compared to the old 7mm RM. And as you already mentioned - the brass availability and it's price, especially here in Europe. New 28 Nosler cases cost approx. 90$ for 25pcs. Crazy. I bought two weeks ago at auction sale for 100$ 280pcs. of Sako 7mmRM brass....New, in boxes, unprimed.

I hope for some luck in coming hunting season and I am curious how will work my new old rifle. Can you share your experience with 7mm Hybrid 180gr. vs. 200-300lbs. big game?

Your right, the old stand by is time tested and reasonable to shoot and own...no question the 28N and a few others can beat it in velocity by a 100 or so fps but ever foot comes with a big jump in expense. I hardly think any animal, paper or steel will notice, their just not worth it. I would never spend $4.00 a case for 100 fps, and due to the expense the cartridge will never have a mass following and it's offered in only their rifle that I know of will never be mass followed, can you imagine what casings will cost10 years from now, especially if they don't let far cheaper rifles chamber the cartridge.. I'd love to own one but for $2,000.00 and $100.00 for a box of shells for 100 fps or so I'll pass this time..

What is a good rate of twist for a 7mm just a plain jane 7mm i am looking at replacing the factory barrel to a varmint barrel and there are a few different choices. with the different twist does that give me more bullet weight options?

What is a good rate of twist for a 7mm just a plain jane 7mm i am looking at replacing the factory barrel to a varmint barrel and there are a few different choices. with the different twist does that give me more bullet weight options?

If you don't plan on shooting anything heavier than a 180gr bullet, the standard 1:9 twist should be fine.

If you want to shoot the new Berger 195's, then you will need a 1:8 twist.

gary
I really don't believe you/re going to get to 3000fps or even close to it with 180's 7RM out of a 26" barrel without excessive pressures.

7mm Rem Mag Load Development Part 1: Bullet Selection & Real-World Velocities - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.