28 nosler or 300 prc?

nwhite2

Hey everyone, I am torn between building a long range hunting rifle in 28 nosler or 300 prc. It will mainly be a hunting rifle with occasional steel on the weekend. I will be hand loading for it. I'd like to shoot 195 Berger's in the 28 nos or 215 Berger's in the 300 prc. Also I know the 28 is a barrel burner but I'm not too worried about it.

Builds specs:
Defiance tenacity LA
PBB 26" barrel 1:8 or 1:9 twist?
Mesa precision stock
Triggertech trigger
Hawkins bdl
Wyatt's extended box

Any info or experience to steer me one way or another would be greatly appreciated.

While I've not shot a 28 NOS I have a 7 Rem Mag and also a 300 PRC. THe 300 PRC being able to send even heavier than 215 if needed/desired and deliver lots of energy on target is why I chose it. I also built a very light, hard hitting rifle and elected to go 300 PRC. Believe it or not the 300 PRC is actually easier for me to find than 28N. I kept an eye on ammo availability and components availability and the 300 PRC is the easier kid to buy for, by quite a bit in my experience.

If you decide to go 28 Nosler, i have 195 EOL Bergers, once fired brass, and other reloading stuff for the 28 Nosler I'll need to move. I needed a re-barrel for my 28 nosler and went with 300 PRC.

If you decide to go 28 Nosler, i have 195 EOL Bergers, once fired brass, and other reloading stuff for the 28 Nosler I'll need to move. I needed a re-barrel for my 28 nosler and went with 300 PRC.
Could you pm me what all you got?

Keeping the 28 Nosler and 195's in a solid tune is the hard part. Throat erosion has you constantly chasing accuracy and adding powder to maintain velocity. Just for what it's worth to you. I smashed animals with the 195's. But ended up switching to hammers because they stayed in tune much longer. But still had to chase velocity as the throat eroded. I babied mine and got 850 rounds about. I know the barrel doesn't matter, but chasing the tune might… 🤘🏼🤘🏼

Keeping the 28 Nosler and 195's in a solid tune is the hard part. Throat erosion has you constantly chasing accuracy and adding powder to maintain velocity. Just for what it's worth to you. I smashed animals with the 195's. But ended up switching to hammers because they stayed in tune much longer. But still had to chase velocity as the throat eroded. I babied mine and got 850 rounds about. I know the barrel doesn't matter, but chasing the tune might… 🤘🏼🤘🏼
Read your triumphs and trials with the 28. Probably should have learned something, but I am going the other way - from 300 PRC to 28 Nosler. Partially because 7mm bullets were easier to find. Thanks for all your info!

Read your triumphs and trials with the 28. Probably should have learned something, but I am going the other way - from 300 PRC to 28 Nosler. Partially because 7mm bullets were easier to find. Thanks for all your info!
Nothing wrong with that!! I loved my 28! Might still end up getting another one also. The throat erosion isn't as hard to account for once you understand what's happening. It took me a while to figure it out is all lol. It's an awesome cartridge. Mine shot 7 different bullets under 1/2 MOA with good ES and velocities. All with N570 and 215M's.

Hey everyone, I am torn between building a long range hunting rifle in 28 nosler or 300 prc. It will mainly be a hunting rifle with occasional steel on the weekend. I will be hand loading for it. I'd like to shoot 195 Berger's in the 28 nos or 215 Berger's in the 300 prc. Also I know the 28 is a barrel burner but I'm not too worried about it.

Builds specs:
Defiance tenacity LA
PBB 26" barrel 1:8 or 1:9 twist?
Mesa precision stock
Triggertech trigger
Hawkins bdl
Wyatt's extended box

Any info or experience to steer me one way or another would be greatly appreciated.
Or........you could make life easy and just go 7 RM..........:_)

Ive had both and I sold the 300 prc. I prefer the 28 and its my go to big game cartridge, It shoots flatter with all bullet with a similar or equivilent B.C. due to the higher muzzle velocity and I dont care if its harder on barrels. Either way you cant go wrong with the 28 or the 300 prc.

Recent Posts