6.5 PRC rifle decisions

They're basically giving away sako s20s right now, and they're fantastic rifles.
I was considering the S20, but I've seen some reviews indicating feed issues. It seems the magazine drops just enough after the 1st shot where it's not picked up by the bolt. The magazine has to be pushed back up.

Im looking of buy a new all around rifle; probably in 6.5 PRC. preferably under $2250

after several days of moderate lookin I've narrowed the list down to one of the Bergara line up, sig cross (not in PRC) , Springfield waypoint, one of the x bolt lineup, maybe a christenson and maybe a savage 110 ultralite, but I have my reservations about the last two

any thoughts, advice, and comments would be welcome. cheers!
It's been quite a while since I've been on this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the place to post a similar question. If not, please enlighten me.

I have a similar question for an elk hunting rifle, but in a lower price range of under $1,000 with a preference toward the $600-$850 range. I've narrowed it down to CVA Cascade (or Cascade XT), Weatherby Vanguard, Bergara B14 Ridge or Tikka T3.
Priorities: 1. Accuracy (400-500 yds), 2. Reliability (reasonably smooth action without feed issues, etc.), Weight (as close as possible to 7lbs or less.).
Preferences: Threaded barrel, Cerakote barrel and action, 3 position safety, detachable magazine but with the ability to accept handloads

I'm open to other recommendations that I might be overlooking. That being said, Ruger American is already ruled out despite it's accuracy.

Thanks in advance!

It's been quite a while since I've been on this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the place to post a similar question. If not, please enlighten me.

I have a similar question for an elk hunting rifle, but in a lower price range of under $1,000 with a preference toward the $600-$850 range. I've narrowed it down to CVA Cascade (or Cascade XT), Weatherby Vanguard, Bergara B14 Ridge or Tikka T3.
Priorities: 1. Accuracy (400-500 yds), 2. Reliability (reasonably smooth action without feed issues, etc.), Weight (as close as possible to 7lbs or less.).
Preferences: Threaded barrel, Cerakote barrel and action, 3 position safety, detachable magazine but with the ability to accept handloads

I'm open to other recommendations that I might be overlooking. That being said, Ruger American is already ruled out despite it's accuracy.

Thanks in advance!
out of your choices the tikka t3 is the lightest. i have one in 22-250 and it is a pleasure to handle and shoot the gun store where i buy my firearms' owner has a couple in 6.5 prc that he shoots personally. he hunts elk with them. he set up both his grandsons up with them also. i run a sauer 100 in 6.5. its more money about 940 for the rifle alone. i like the tikka if i get another prc chambered gun it will be probly a tikka. i was thinking a 7 prc or 300 prc. i think you'll like the way it handles and shoots

out of your choices the tikka t3 is the lightest. i have one in 22-250 and it is a pleasure to handle and shoot the gun store where i buy my firearms' owner has a couple in 6.5 prc that he shoots personally. he hunts elk with them. he set up both his grandsons up with them also. i run a sauer 100 in 6.5. its more money about 940 for the rifle alone. i like the tikka if i get another prc chambered gun it will be probly a tikka. i was thinking a 7 prc or 300 prc. i think you'll like the way it handles a

I had a Tikka .300 WSM. It was a great rifle and incredibly accurate. Good call on the 7 prc. I was seriously considering the 7 prc as well, but there aren't many manufacturers in the mid-price point offering it yet. I appreciate the great feedback.

I recently decided to re-barrel my Ruger MKII LA, 375- .338 WM to 6.5 PRC. I did his upon getting 100 pieces of once fired Hornady brass. I think the 6.5PRC offers negligible ballistic advantage over the common ordinary, old, & inexpensive to fuel 6.5-06 but I did the conversion as I plan to gift the rifle to family or friends and the .375-.338WM kicks heavy and shoots fat & heavy bullets regarded as suitable for close range dangerous beasts. Upon receiving the new 6.5 PRC project I will work up a zippy rodent load with 120 or 123 bullets & a long range heavy hitter load with pointy 140 - 147 bullets (a happy event) Achieving that,I will cheerfully gift the rifle in 3-4 years to a happy individual tuned into current rifle trends.

I am getting just under 2,900 fps with 140's out of a 6.5-06 with Staball HD with real good accuracy, about .5 MOS. How much better velocities will the larger bolt face 6.5 PRC give? I am confident that the 6.5 PRC will make somebody real happy. I will save the takeoff .375-.338WM barrel & stock in the event dangerous beasts need to be shot close up - barrel vise & action wrench & about 150 fat & heavy, thick jacketed 270-300 gr. bullets, & 100 pieces of .375-.338 WM brass, .375-.338 WM dies & nice 4X scope will work.

Last edited:
Im looking of buy a new all around rifle; probably in 6.5 PRC. preferably under $2250

after several days of moderate lookin I've narrowed the list down to one of the Bergara line up, sig cross (not in PRC) , Springfield waypoint, one of the x bolt lineup, maybe a christenson and maybe a savage 110 ultralite, but I have my reservations about the last two

I am a little surprised Tikka isn't on your list. They are shooters.
I'd steer clear of the xbolt myself. I have had many in the past and all of them were very accurate guns, until this last one. Both my brother and his friend (a SWAT sniper) bought xbolts (different caliber than mine) at about the same time as I bought my last one and couldn't get either to shoot consistent groups. Browning has no accuracy guarantee. After shooting factory, trying handloads, and sending them back to Browning (who told them they shot good enough - since they have no accuracy guarantee). They both ended up taking them to a gunsmith and both needed new barrels. Neither gun had 100 rounds down the barrel. The gunsmith (a bench rest shooter) told my brother his gun looked like it had a couple of thousand rounds shot through it. The throat was fire cracked and the lands/grooves a mess. Brothers' friends gun shoots lights out with new barrel and my brother is hoping his is done in the next week or so.
I have several Tikka's and just finished a 7 PRC build on a Tikka. I love the short bolt lift, smooth action, and aftermarket that's out there for them. Not as good as the 700 clone, but I'm seeing growth in the Tikka world.
Good luck with whatever you choose, and we'd love to hear what that is/see pictures when you get it.

My neighbor has a cpl savage ultra's and they shoot very well. A buddy has an sig cross and it doesn't shoot great but the neighbors son in law does, it shoots great. I think for a light hunter the sig has appeal to me. I've not been around a way point so no clue there.

Im Looking for one too, just for target and fun LR shooting. I'm leaning towards the Browning X Bolt LR. 26-inch barrel. I have read numerous comments of praise for its accuracy, and only one complaint about the trigger. If that's the only real issue with the rifle, that's an easy fix!! Drop in a Timney or TT and go shoot. Now I do understand finding 6.5 PRC Brass is currently difficult. I will follow you posts closely. Good luck Buddy.

Tikka!! 6.5 PRC

Another option is a Tikka with an AG composit stock from Red Hawk. You'll be about 1500 after that. If the 1 moa or so isn't good enough, toss a pre fit on it. If you like cerkote add another few hundred. Still pretty close to budget.