Decisions decisions

My only advice would be to find a lifetime supply of quality brass before you decide. You can always get Hammer bullets. Powder and primers are coming back, and like those of us who lived through the Clintons, and weren't caught short this time (except those dumb, like me, who had to have a new caliber (.204 Ruger) in the worst drought ever), none of this generation will likely be caught short again.

Since you already have a 300WM, sell the one you have, have a custom reamer built to seat the bullets to 3.600" COAL, run it in a 9 or even 8 twist barrel and enjoy.
I'm assuming you already have the reloading components for 300WM.

The 7 PRC has more case capacity than the SAUM, so I would bet it will produce the greater velocity. I've only seen the SAAMI spec sheet on the 7 PRC. It's a little shorter case than the 28 Nosler and expected to give better barrel life than the Nosler. When I shoot out my 28 Nosler barrel I'll be rebarreling to the 7prc.
My error.

Last edited:
The 7 PRC has more case capacity than the SAUM, so I would bet it will produce the greater velocity. I've only seen the SAAMI spec sheet on the 7 PRC. It's a little shorter case than the 28 Nosler and expected to give better barrel life than the Nosler. When I shoot out my 28 Nosler barrel I'll be rebarreling to the 7 PRC.
The 6.5 SAUM has more case capacity than the 6.5 PRC. This I know. Figured the 7PRC was close to the 6.5. Doing some reading, it does have more case capacity than the 6.5 PRC.

Hunting most likely
Start at the start...

What will you be hunting, where and to what ranges on a consistent basis?

I'd be taking a serious look at a 22/250 Ack or 22 CM with a 8 twist. It'll check the fun box for sure and is pure poison on most all game that people take on and to a long darn range!

Plus a ton load of fun to shoot!

Depends on if you are wanting a pre-fit barrel your options will be less. If you want to give yourself more options look at a Zermatt actions. You. Can change the bolt face from magnum to standard and smaller. One long action you can shoot so many calibers by changing the bolt face. Just giving you something else to think about.

OK so I have many calibers that overlap and probably no need for any more guns. I am a victim to gunderwear. I recently shot a friends rifle with a Defiance action and I am hooked. That is the smoothest, sexist I ever seen. So of course now I need to build one. I always wanted a Proof carbon fiber barrel rifle so I figured, why not put them together.
My question to all of you is what caliber? I have a few 300 win mag 300 wsm and SAUM, obviously 6.5 man bun 7 Weatherby 65 300 Weatherby 338 Lapua 338 WinMag 338 Federal 308, 30-06 and recently 65 PRC which is gaining in popularity with me. I have hunting out West covered and deer hunting on the east covered. I appreciate your suggestions.
It is obniouy not about covering a need. How would you like to use the gun. If small game and target/garment up to antelope and maybe deer consider a 6 dasher or 6 BR. Make sure you spend enough time and money on the magazine and spacer so that the gun feeds those short benchrest cartridges smoothly. I love my dasher and BR rifles.

For 6.5 cartridges I would go with the PRC, 6.5-.284 or the 6.5swede You'll get between 150- 300fps faster between the 3 than the Creedmor. You'd definitely need to reload for the Swede that's where it shines due to the data in manufacture's books it is loaded way down because of the old Krag actions. Similar to the 30-06 you have play room with handloads, alot are only loaded to 50-55k psi. Great range of bullets to get you from varmint to moose.

OK so I have many calibers that overlap and probably no need for any more guns. I am a victim to gunderwear. I recently shot a friends rifle with a Defiance action and I am hooked. That is the smoothest, sexist I ever seen. So of course now I need to build one. I always wanted a Proof carbon fiber barrel rifle so I figured, why not put them together.
My question to all of you is what caliber? I have a few 300 win mag 300 wsm and SAUM, obviously 6.5 man bun 7 Weatherby 65 300 Weatherby 338 Lapua 338 WinMag 338 Federal 308, 30-06 and recently 65 PRC which is gaining in popularity with me. I have hunting out West covered and deer hunting on the east covered. I appreciate your suggestions.
Well everyone always needs a new gun, but not necessarily a new caliber. I mean look, I still get new guns but that does not mean new calibers. I suspect you reload, why increase the cost Exponentially by having to get new dies, new brass, new bullets, possibly new primers. I had (3) 300 WM, big deal. Like you Said you already have the over lap anyway.

Lots of stuff in the middle, but no large bores (.45 cal) or smaller calibers (.204 cal)? What loads have you found that you like with the 6.5 PRC?

It is obniouy not about covering a need. How would you like to use the gun. If small game and target/garment up to antelope and maybe deer consider a 6 dasher or 6 BR. Make sure you spend enough time and money on the magazine and spacer so that the gun feeds those short benchrest cartridges smoothly. I love my dasher and BR rifles.
What do you think of that 6 mm arc

The 6mm ARC was designed for AR style shooting I believe.

I ventured into the 6mm game about 2 yrs ago after taking a .308 to the local PRS match and seeing the amazing benefits of the more mild recoiling cartridges when it came to spotting shots. I could spot 800+ impacts with a 12lb rifle but when I I shot a 6 BR in a similar weight rifle, I could see impacts at 300+ yds which made adjustments even easier.

I went home and started researching 6mm cartridges and found most were almost identical. Bought a 6GT (because I could get good brass) and went to the next match. A guy in my squad had a 6 ARC and we struck up a conversation. He liked it and it was in an AR platform. Problem was, he was getting 2450FPS in his loads compared to everyone else getting about 2850FPS in other 6mm loads. Maybe when hand loaded that is what he decided for the ARC, I don't really know.

But if you look at the PRS game, lots of support for the 6mm lines…6BR, BRA, GT, Creedmoor….are the most popular I see. Maybe forgetting one or two. Lapua makes brass and it usually can be found for the BR. Alpha and Hornady make GT brass (look online as GA Precision to purchase).

If you choose one of those, you will run about 33-38gr of Varget, H4350 or 6.5 Stabil most likely. The thing I can't recommend is the bullets…not a ton of "hunting" bullets available if that becomes a requirement. Lots of us shoot 105-110gr tgt bullets and most of those are Berger Hybrids, Hornady ELD-M and Hornady A-Tip. All perform great.

Side note, I have a 6GT built by GA precision on a Defiance Deviant action and it is amazing! My buddy has a 6GT built by Blue Mtn Rifles on an Impact 737R and it is equally amazing. If you said which action is smoother and nicer, I would not be able to answer.

Lastly, the 6 ARC I believe has factory ammo available from Hornady and now the 6GT does as well.

Good luck, hope that helped.