Budget Build...Decisions, Decisions

Pbailey

I am putting together my budget build, shooting for somewhere near $1000 for the rifle. Going to put a Mcgowen barrel on a savage action, bed it in a B&C or Choate stock, and then put a vortex viper on top of it.

But I am posing a couple questions, and this is where I am stuck.

I want a gun that I can shoot out to about 700 yards effectively on game. I dont really see myself shooting much farther than that at live animals...just yet. But I also want to be able to capatilize on a 100 yard shot if it surpisingly presents itsself.

So far, here are the calibers that I am contemplating...and why.

Also, I will be hunting for mostly deer sized game, but also may use the rifle to hunt elk.

300 win mag: Tried and true, packs a punch, readily available supplies

338 win mag: Ballistically very close to the 300wm, heavier bullet, little bigger hole, and I have seen the effects and anchoring abilities.

300 wsm: I like the idea of a short action, and wouldnt mind trying this caliber!

6.5x284: The new hype, seems very promising, very accurate. Cons are that its a little harder to find stuff for, and short(ish) barrel life.

I also really considered going with a 308 because I thought it would be good to get started with, but I dont really want to discover that it would be underpowered for game once they are out there a ways.

What do you think I should do?

Any suggestions, ideas and comments are very welcome!

Please Help! Thank you!

i personally like the 300 wsm because i have had several very accurate rifles chambered in that caliber.i have used it from groundhogs to whitetail with much success.it to me is a nice all around cartridge.i have also had a 338 win mag that i used for whitetail but it flat out kicked to the point where it wasn't enjoable to shoot but will knock anything on your list down.i still can't get on the 6.5 wagon yet so i can't comment on that.that being said i believe the 300 win mag is the going to suit you best with the 300 wsm right behind it.it will push a heavy 30 cal bullet fast and flat without the recoil of the 338 win mag and there is alot of premium hunting ammo choices if you don't reload.

300wm, 6.5x284, 300wsm but if your up to spend 200 dollars more use a Brux barrel and a Sightron SIII. If I were you I would put all these rounds on a long action.

I shoot a 6.5-284 and it is great. Its very accurate, low recoil, components are easy to get and cheaper to shoot than the big powder burners. That said, its a little light on big critters past 600 yds or so. In long range hunting you will want to spot your hits (or misses) and that will be hard to do on the 300s without a break (about $150-$200 extra and a lot-a-extra noise). I built a .284(McGowen barrel A+) for a friend that duplicates a 7mm mag and has noticably more thump than my 6.5 on game and is still user friendly. Depending on the size of game you plan on hunting a 6.5 will be enough usually but a 7mag or 7wsm with vld bullets may be a better chioce without the recoil and powder and lead consumption of the big magnums.

What type of stock are you planning on using? If you are considering an aftermarket stock that is traditional in style, you may want to think about a totally stock Savage. If you want more of a pistol grip style, than go aftermarket. I have a .300wm, so I'm partial. I'm a big fan of the Long Range Hunter Series that comes in both .300 wm and wsm.

For what you are planning you can't go wrong with the 300's.

Barrel life is probably going to be better with the WM vs the WSM if you push them to their limits.

If you have not already, give some thought to the Criterion Savage prefits, $250 for a 26" stainless hand lapped, you can get them up to 30" for a little more. They come in three of the calibers you are interested in, .300wm, .338wm, and 6.5-284, If you did not know, Criterion is Kriegers button rifle division.

I have heard of some problems with Mcgowan Savage prefit barrels, but have also heard of guys having good luck with them. Sinarms can do a Savage prefit for you with Mcgowan blanks, I think he also has Brux and Rock.

Let us know what you go with and how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.