6.5mm decisions...

BH107

Trying to decide on my next build. I already have a great .300 Win Mag, but its 14lbs and figured I would build something smaller and lighter for deer. I was planning on a 260AI on a short action but with the 140VLD they won't fit in the magazine. I already have a short action to build, so should I stay with the 260AI and use the 135gr classic hunters? I don't want anything too exotic, but I want to get the most out of the 6.5 that I can... Opinions? Or should I just bite the bullet and move to a long action?

Trying to decide on my next build. I already have a great .300 Win Mag, but its 14lbs and figured I would build something smaller and lighter for deer. I was planning on a 260AI on a short action but with the 140VLD they won't fit in the magazine. I already have a short action to build, so should I stay with the 260AI and use the 135gr classic hunters? I don't want anything too exotic, but I want to get the most out of the 6.5 that I can... Opinions? Or should I just bite the bullet and move to a long action?

SA=CREED
LA=6.5 SAUM
Or look at the 6.5 SS in a short action.

Pick a bullet or several bullets you hope to shoot, order a barrel with the proper twist for it and then decide the speed you need to operate at. From there you should be able to establish what length barrel you're going to need, then match that with the case that offers your solution.
Consider which cases are made by Lapua if you want accuracy, or which cases are cheap, or readily available...

A long action is usually going to be better suited with the LR chamberings, except for the smaller ones like the 6.4x47. Even the .308 win based cartridges can be too long for a short action with VLDs.

Don't go looking at cartridges by their names and reputation, the bullets don't know what case is pushing them, nor do the aninals.

When deciding on a caliber I first decide what range on bullets I want to and how fast I want them to go. I select a caliber that can reach that goal comfortably, not maxed out. Then I look for what high quality brass is available. If high quality brass isn't available, I don't build it.

With already having a short action and wanting to keep it simple, .260 or 6.5X47 would be my choice.

140ish high BC bullet at 2700+fps out of 6.5x55 is hard to beat. readily available brass, low recoil, ability to use lighter bullets etc.

Which short action??

I built my 260 ai on a 700 short action and I can shoot the 140 vlds just fine..I wouldn't be scared of that..

It runs at 2940 and I wish I had built one a long time ago..

I have thought about the new 135 classics and may still give them a whirl,but the 140's shoot so well that I may not waste the 50 bucks to find out..

This is how well it shoots the 140's..Click the pic.

I would go 6.5X47. My RBROS built rifle is awesome. Lapua brass is fantastic, no fire forming, extremely accurate and drives a 130 Berger hunting at 3000 fps with H4350. What more does a guy need? Plus you will have no mag length issues. Probably can't go wrong with the X47,260 or the creed they are very similar. I just am partial to the 6.5X47. Should be able to take deer size game comfortably to 6-700 yds. Research the X47 and I think you will be impressed.

I would go 6.5X47. My RBROS built rifle is awesome. Lapua brass is fantastic, no fire forming, extremely accurate and drives a 130 Berger hunting at 3000 fps with H4350. What more does a guy need? Plus you will have no mag length issues. Probably can't go wrong with the X47,260 or the creed they are very similar. I just am partial to the 6.5X47. Should be able to take deer size game comfortably to 6-700 yds. Research the X47 and I think you will be impressed.

I've looked at that too, but I think another friend of mine has me talked into the Creedmoor and I'll probably go that way.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

Creed will be good especially if Lapua does come out with brass for it like rumored. Another reason I like the X47 is that not everyone has one. Kind of nice when talking to guys to have a different cartridge.

I went with a 6.5 Creedmoor, mine was just a factory Tikka. Been working with some 135 grain berger classic hunters and Reloder 16 with some very promising results.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.