Decisions decisions

6.5prc or the 270 wsm . I think would be a good 1 just make sure you have brass for what ever you build. Good luck post photos

OK so I have many calibers that overlap and probably no need for any more guns. I am a victim to gunderwear. I recently shot a friends rifle with a Defiance action and I am hooked. That is the smoothest, sexist I ever seen. So of course now I need to build one. I always wanted a Proof carbon fiber barrel rifle so I figured, why not put them together.
My question to all of you is what caliber? I have a few 300 win mag 300 wsm and SAUM, obviously 6.5 man bun 7 Weatherby 65 300 Weatherby 338 Lapua 338 WinMag 338 Federal 308, 30-06 and recently 65 PRC which is gaining in popularity with me. I have hunting out West covered and deer hunting on the east covered. I appreciate your suggestions.
IMHO, the little end of the spectrum just seems like a waste for your action/barrel combo. Maybe a .277 Fury/6.8 Western (don't have yet) or the 300PRC. Have the 300PRC, 300NM and 338NM in my MRADs and love all three.....lasers on fire. The 338 is like the 50BMG-Lite.....even the military thinks so. The NM are a bitch to find...just paid $145/box OTD for 300 with 215 Bergers in Murfreesboro while training at Barrett. $65/box for 300PRC 225gr. Cleaned them out of both. Not worth the heartbeats for me to reload any longer....I've become the weak link in the equation. Hornady discontinued the 300NM due to erratic ES/Sd and a host of production issues.

The 6mm ARC was designed for AR style shooting I believe.

I ventured into the 6mm game about 2 yrs ago after taking a .308 to the local PRS match and seeing the amazing benefits of the more mild recoiling cartridges when it came to spotting shots. I could spot 800+ impacts with a 12lb rifle but when I I shot a 6 BR in a similar weight rifle, I could see impacts at 300+ yds which made adjustments even easier.

I went home and started researching 6mm cartridges and found most were almost identical. Bought a 6GT (because I could get good brass) and went to the next match. A guy in my squad had a 6 ARC and we struck up a conversation. He liked it and it was in an AR platform. Problem was, he was getting 2450FPS in his loads compared to everyone else getting about 2850FPS in other 6mm loads. Maybe when hand loaded that is what he decided for the ARC, I don't really know.

But if you look at the PRS game, lots of support for the 6mm lines…6BR, BRA, GT, Creedmoor….are the most popular I see. Maybe forgetting one or two. Lapua makes brass and it usually can be found for the BR. Alpha and Hornady make GT brass (look online as GA Precision to purchase).

If you choose one of those, you will run about 33-38gr of Varget, H4350 or 6.5 Stabil most likely. The thing I can't recommend is the bullets…not a ton of "hunting" bullets available if that becomes a requirement. Lots of us shoot 105-110gr tgt bullets and most of those are Berger Hybrids, Hornady ELD-M and Hornady A-Tip. All perform great.

Side note, I have a 6GT built by GA precision on a Defiance Deviant action and it is amazing! My buddy has a 6GT built by Blue Mtn Rifles on an Impact 737R and it is equally amazing. If you said which action is smoother and nicer, I would not be able to answer.

Lastly, the 6 ARC I believe has factory ammo available from Hornady and now the 6GT does as well.

Good luck, hope that helped.
Awesome thank you my first PRS match last year with a Christensen Arms 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm reloading 130 eldm's and it performs very well. In fact it was at that match a gentleman let me look at his defiance rebel in a 308 and that's where I fell in love with it OK I'll do my homework and look into some 6 mm cartridges I think that might be the way to go besides this Christiansen arms chamber is real tight and very finicky after twice and third fired brass

You sound top heavy. Why don't you get a good rimfire and have fun on ground hogs. I have a Savage B Mag that shoots a .17WSM at 3,000fps. Varmints and maybe as much as Coyote at range up to 300. Winchester has a Coyote pictured on their ammo box. Ammo is priced about the same as .22mag or .17HMR. By the way, the .17WSM beats the HMR by 50% in every category.
(the .17WSM (Winchester Super Mag )was born from the 28ga contractor blank necked down to .17) HMR's can not be converted to WSM's, not strong enough. The Savage has 3 lugs.

Attachments

• Savage B Mag  .17WSM 003.JPG
    Savage B Mag .17WSM 003.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 37
  • Savage B Mag .17cal 003.JPG
    Savage B Mag .17cal 003.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 34
Awesome thank you my first PRS match last year with a Christensen Arms 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm reloading 130 eldm's and it performs very well. In fact it was at that match a gentleman let me look at his defiance rebel in a 308 and that's where I fell in love with it OK I'll do my homework and look into some 6 mm cartridges I think that might be the way to go besides this Christiansen arms chamber is real tight and very finicky after twice and third fired brass
Good luck and if you decide to go with the 6GT or want some more info, PM me and I'll give you what I experienced.

To start the conversation, I reloaded my 6GT Hornady brass 4-5 times already and have 2000rds on the barrel without any noticeable degradation. Alpha OCD brass is suppose to be even better. Still getting single digit ES/SD on 20 shot strings (2 sets of 10 shots and let it cool and go again).