Decisions decisions

We have Defiance, Bat, Rem 700, Model 70s, Cooper, Mauser, and Impact.I
I think that Impact is the Slickest, Defiance next.
Impact cycles it's self.
Definitely BAT for the 338 mags and larger also very SMOOTH!
All this depends on the model of each manufacture.
What do you think about that 7even action

What do you think about that 7even action
Do you mean the FALKOR 7Eleven?
Have not had the chance to shoot a rifle with one of these, but from the manufacturing specs I have seen would love to get one to shoot.
There are so many good action manufacturers out there today.
Curtis is another good one.
what are your thoughts and do you shoot a 7 Eleven?
thanks
Len and Jill

OK so I have many calibers that overlap and probably no need for any more guns. I am a victim to gunderwear. I recently shot a friends rifle with a Defiance action and I am hooked. That is the smoothest, sexist I ever seen. So of course now I need to build one. I always wanted a Proof carbon fiber barrel rifle so I figured, why not put them together.
My question to all of you is what caliber? I have a few 300 win mag 300 wsm and SAUM, obviously 6.5 man bun 7 Weatherby 65 300 Weatherby 338 Lapua 338 WinMag 338 Federal 308, 30-06 and recently 65 PRC which is gaining in popularity with me. I have hunting out West covered and deer hunting on the east covered. I appreciate your suggestions.
what's it's intended use? If you are strictly hunting with it, why not go 300 WM or 300 PRC?

OK so I have many calibers that overlap and probably no need for any more guns. I am a victim to gunderwear. I recently shot a friends rifle with a Defiance action and I am hooked. That is the smoothest, sexist I ever seen. So of course now I need to build one. I always wanted a Proof carbon fiber barrel rifle so I figured, why not put them together.
My question to all of you is what caliber? I have a few 300 win mag 300 wsm and SAUM, obviously 6.5 man bun 7 Weatherby 65 300 Weatherby 338 Lapua 338 WinMag 338 Federal 308, 30-06 and recently 65 PRC which is gaining in popularity with me. I have hunting out West covered and deer hunting on the east covered. I appreciate your suggestions.
There's always a 264win mag! It's my favorite caliber! It's the great grandfather of 6.5.

I have hunting out West covered and deer hunting on the east covered. I appreciate your suggestions.
Is there other types of shooting you do besides hunting?
LR steel game?
Varminting?
What would you want to use this Defiance build more for western hunting or deer hunting in the east?

So many options out there. Pick one and don't look back. Just find a good Smith and hope it's accurate. Accuracy definitely Trumps all else. I find that then look for the highest velocity you can. Settle on accuracy before velocity in the end.

Well I'm feeling your pain !
I picked up a Defiance tenacity action and put a OMR carbon 300 ultra barrel on it .
Holy Smokes !! Its just flat Amazing how nice it is !
I always had the idea that less is more ...so I stayed with the old Remington action for my builds . Yes I got them to shoot very well . Some out there in the Next Zip Code ! Lol 3027 yards , 1.72 miles .
Now back to this Defiance action...its so smooth it seems Illegal! Ha ha
I have only put some low dose rounds through it to season the barrel but I'm totally impressed with it !
Next will be some 245gr bergers and a bunch of powder ! Lol

Back to your caliber choice ...what is your most favorite Caliber?
Dont feel bad about having more than one rifle with the same Caliber! Ha ha
Those that follow me know my favorite ones !

Anyway excited for you and the new build! Keep us posted .

Rum Man

Go with a 308 win. Sounds like this is going to be your dream rifle. The one rifle you will likely want to shoot most.

Clearly, you are a handloader. Get some CFE 223 and load that 308 win with 168 monometals (low 2800 fps is very achievable) and you have yourself an elk rifle. Load with with 155 bergers and you have a varmint rifle.

When you hit your mid 70s and are tired of reloading buy yourslef a case of Fed Nat'l match and you have great practice and varmint ammo and factory hunting ammo is readily available.

Build it so it weighs with scope at ~7 and it wll be very versatile.

Last edited:
I'm having a .35 Whelen built. Indiana's now ok with .35 caliber and up on deer. And although I'd prefer using a .35 Rem, there's no shells to be had in that caliber, whereas there is for the Whelen. Also, with the Whelen good for 300 yds, it might be worth trying out on other critters. -Just my two cents.

Recent Posts