6.5 PRC rifle decisions

Springfield Waypoint , would be my factory choice , I think they use the AG Composite stock . The 6.5 PRC will perform way above your expectations especially if you handload .The clicker issue has not been a problem with me and I have 2 PRCS , good luck with your choice.
how long have you had your PRC's? how would you comment on ammo price/availability, barrel life and reloading capacity?

I only stated Savage 110 as it's what I'm familiar with and only own. Mod70's are good if it's a choice as there are controlled round feed options for purchase. Those 2 NEVER gave me any feeding, extracting or not firing when trigger is pulled. However, I'm not a fan of the accu-triggers and did replace 1 for now with a sav-2 trigger from rifle basix. I have shot Rems, but not totally impressed with them, but I'm sure they make good firearms. I'm more of an AR person and the 3 in the avatar are 110's. L-R 338lm stealth, 300wm stealth, 300wm ba/le model 26" that I wouldn't trade any for something else! Accuracy with factory I've tried so far has been very good, even with lower end optics that others won't touch! If I could get a BLR in a short mag that holds 3+1 I'd do that as the 270win I do have is smooth as silk. I guess I'll find out if the 6.5prc is overrated or not after I finish the build (AR10). Why not go with a saum/4gap, wsm or rem mag? The saum would've been my choice for this build, but lacked what I needed for completion.

how long have you had your PRC's? how would you comment on ammo price/availability, barrel life and reloading capacity?
It should be longer that what I'd get out of my 264wm, but so far I'm over 2,500 rounds and still shoots less than 1moa. Because of this Winchester won't replace the barrel as their requirements are needing to be over 1.5moa before replacement.

I also agree you Can't go wrong with the Tikka. I love mine in 300WSM 168 Berger classics under an inch at 200 yards, stock gun other then Mag and bolt stop. I did have a custom clamp on muzzle break made for it, (old shoulders) But have not yet had a chance to shoot it much

Just bought a used Bergara Wilderness. Under a half inch with factory Hornady. Got hits at 900 yds and still working out the dope. I like the heavier contour barrel and the stock seemed stiffer than most in that price range. Cheap enough I didn't cry when I drilled holes for my Kydex cheek riser.

One consideration with 6.5prc is mag length. Especially if you're going to reload. That cartridge is right at the limit for most short actions, and might limit you on COAL. Another bonus for Tikka, they're all long action.

A second consideration, is a locking bolt. A feature I really like on a hunting rifle. Absent on r700 type actions, like the CA and waypoint.

Over your budget by $250… but ooh la lahhh

Last edited:
I've been researching all the same rifles and was kind of set on the Waypoint until actually handling it (and all the others listed) at my local gun store. So now I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe just buy a T3X and a stock. Put the money I save into the scope. Anyway I wouldn't buy any of them without first handling them yourself.

I purchased a Bergara wilderness terrain recently in 6.5 PRC that shoots like 🍑. I've done the whole clean the paint off the pillars in the chassis thing. I've even given it to a good friend shooter to spend some time with it to make sure its not just me and he's having the same issues. I really wanted to hunt with this gun next season but as of now its not making the cut. When I get it back from him I believe I'm going to file a claim with bergara. I've had lots of guns but never had one I had to send back to the factory bc I couldn't get it to shoot acceptably.

Recent Posts