6.5 PRC rifle decisions

I just picked up a Savage 110 ultralite in 6.5prc. I'm 69yrs old and this is my 1st ever carbon fiber barreled rifle. I have the 110 high country and with load development I am getting bugholes .280, .283,.279. I'm loading 60.5 grs of H1000 under a Hornady 143gr eldx with BR2 primers. This rifle shot factory ammo .75moa. Just set this rifle up shot the same Hornady factory ammo at 5/8" @100yds. Set it up with EGW 20moa base, Vortex low rings, and a Swarovski Z6 BT scope. I plan the same process as with the other 110 and hope to get the same results. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm getting old and am looking for lighter weight. We'll see. I'll drop back in and let you all know how it works out.

What's your set up come in at weight wise?

How many rounds down the barrel? Mine have all sped about 70 once seasoned. My 22" proof runs a 143 at 3020-30 and my 18" at 2925. I run rl26.
Thanks for your response and question. I have probably about 50 shots down the barrel (no more) from just testing several powders. If I could find RL 26 I would have been done; however there is none to be found anywhere. I heard from a reliable source that Hornady bought up tons of RL 26 and are using it in their Precision Hunter ammo. I've heard that RL 26 is best for the 6.5 PRC shooting 143gr ELD-X so consider yourself lucky since you can do that. I don't have much RL 25 (3lbs) but I have just bought a good supply (8lbs) of VV N565 and I think that is going to be the ticket.

Nice rifle! I looked at the Savage 110 Ultralight rifle with the Proof Research barrel; however there were none to be had anywhere during December 2022. I am assuming you have a 24" barrel based on the velocities you are getting—which are very good by the way. In December 2022 I got a SAKO S20 Huter in 6.5 PRC and I absolutely love it so far. I am a Reloader and I have only been able to break 3,000 fps with one load (I have a 24" barrel). With 60.5grs of RL 25 I am averaging 3,026 fps shooting 3/8" groups consistently. I've tested VV N560 and I topped out at 2,950fps. I am at 2,962 with VV N565 and I have a little room to go so I might break 3,000fps with that load. I am using Lapua brass with the shoulders bumped .002"; Fed 210M primers, Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets; 60.5grs of RL 25 loaded .017" off the lands. So far I have been pleased; however I haven't taken a whitetail yet so we will see. I'm sure it will be a "one hitter quitter".
I had the same problem trying to purchase a rifle. I waited 2 months on my dealer who is also my best friend trying to locate one through a distributor. I finally called Savage and asked their representative when they would be available. He told me Gunbroker had them. That sounded fishy to me ,but I got on their website after about 30min. of setting up an account then logging in. I then located a rifle and had it shipped to my dealer. Sounds like you have a great shooting rifle anyway. I've never had that much trouble trying to spend money lol.

Swe
The rifle was 6lbs out of the box. I'm now right at 8lbs
Sweet! My SAKO S20 Hunter is a little heavier than your Savage 110 Ultralight. With a Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x; 30mm tube; 50mm objective & Warne rings I am right at 8.75lbs. Wish it was a little lighter; however it still works well in the deer woods of Northwest Louisiana. I have a 30 cal suppressor that I was going to use on it; however I decided not to and instead I am using an Ultradyne muzzle brake that really works nicely. I have a comfortable sling so it "totes easy". Great information and thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, I have a couple of questions about your X-Bolt Hells Canyon and the performance you are getting with 143gr ELD-X and Staball HD. 1) How long is your barrel? 2) How many grains of Staball HD are you using to get 2,963fps? In some of my 6.5 PRC test load loads with 61grs of Staball HD all I could get was an average of 2,852fps. Of course this was a 24" barrel and my loads were as follows: Lapua brass with shoulders bumped back .002"; Federal 210M primers, 143gr ELD-X bullets, and a charge weight of 61grs of Staball HD. I probably could have squeezed out a few more grains of powder; however my Redding Master Hunter Precision dies warn against compressed loads seating bullets. Thanks
26" barrel 58.0 grains remington LR primer Hornady brass. all my loading is done in a cool basement kept at 65% humidity, but it was a hot suny day at the range. shouldn't effect it . I set my rounds in the sun to heat them, I have yet to try them cool. and it was 2893 and 2894, I 'm not sure why y I typed that. LOL old I guess. as I went up in speed my groups opened up. I recently tested them out to 400, 4.5 Inch group for 8 rounds. I think that works for me. Gun is topped with a Vortex Viper 6x24

I had a 6.5 PRC in a CA Rigeline and it shot lights out with Factory 143 ELD-X. Half minute groups to 600 yards was the norm. I also loaded it up with 124 grain Hammer Hunters andit was like a lightening bolt when you shot game with it. I have several others from CA that shoot just as good. Don't just buy into the stuff you read on here unless you hear it first hand from someone that has actually had an issue with CA. I am not saying that they haven't had their issues but most gun manufacturers have at one time or another. I know lots guys here in my part of Montana that have CA rifles and they love them. Of course these are my opinions but they are based on first hand experience.

Im Looking for one too, just for target and fun LR shooting. I'm leaning towards the Browning X Bolt LR. 26-inch barrel. I have read numerous comments of praise for its accuracy, and only one complaint about the trigger. If that's the only real issue with the rifle, that's an easy fix!! Drop in a Timney or TT and go shoot. Now I do understand finding 6.5 PRC Brass is currently difficult. I will follow you posts closely. Good luck Buddy.
I have 2 xbolts and fixed the triggers on both of them by installing an MCARBO trigger sear spring. They cost about $12 and took me maybe 20 minutes to swap out. Triggers are sweet now!

I have 2 xbolts and fixed the triggers on both of them by installing an MCARBO trigger sear spring. They cost about $12 and took me maybe 20 minutes to swap out. Triggers are sweet now!
Absolutely! MCarbo is the way to go! I have 2 X-Bolts (25-06 & 28 Nosler) with triggers set on 1.5lbs and 2lbs respectively by changing out the springs and using the MCarbo springs. Makes all the difference in the world and you keep the functionality of the bolt safety button.

Thanks for your response and question. I have probably about 50 shots down the barrel (no more) from just testing several powders. If I could find RL 26 I would have been done; however there is none to be found anywhere. I heard from a reliable source that Hornady bought up tons of RL 26 and are using it in their Precision Hunter ammo. I've heard that RL 26 is best for the 6.5 PRC shooting 143gr ELD-X so consider yourself lucky since you can do that. I don't have much RL 25 (3lbs) but I have just bought a good supply (8lbs) of VV N565 and I think that is going to be the ticket.
I like vv560. Almost grain for grain and fps with rl26. H1000 is good too if you can get it. The 560 works good if you want to try it

You might check out a SAKO 85 or Browning X Bolt in 6.5 PRC. I have the browning in 6.5 PRC and it is an absolute tack driver right out of the box with factory ammo...I didn't even work up a load yet--if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have a SAKO 85 in .260 Remington and it is also very accurate and my handloads get up there with 6.5 PRC velocities, not quite but close. My granddaughter will most like get that rifle.

I also bought my nephew a Savage 110 in compact ultralight, and we really like it and impressed with its accuracy for a mid-grade rig.

Cheers
Ron