6.5 PRC rifle decisions

Out of the rifles you mentioned i can only talk for Bergaras because they quickly became me, my brother's and my friend's most chosen hunting rifles. I have had a BA13, shooting half MOA with cheap softpoints. My brother had a BA13, also shooting sub MOA with both sub and supersonic loads. He doesn't even measures groups but sent me a couple pics pf his zeroing target and it looked like around 0.6-0.7 MOA rifle with the same cheap softpoints. My B14 hunter shoots those same **** cheap sofpoints 0.3 MOA all day, in factory configuration (i know it sounds like a lie but it's true) and I am currently building a new hunting rifle from a b14 hunter barreled action with an aftermarket stock, trigger and an aics adapter. It looks like this rifle shoots very well too. All these rifles are in 308 and, despite being very accurate with some ammo, they proved to be (relatively) picky, not liking much lighter and very fast projectiles, despite their 1:12 twist. My b14s in 308 shoot a couple of the 6 or so loads i tried really, really well, a couple ones just a bit over MOA, a couple ones about 1.5. BA13 are 1:8 twist i think and we just tried 2 loads with them because we were more than satisfied with them. A dear friend of mine has 2 b14s (a hmr in 6.5 which is scary accurate-not in his hands though-with hornady factory ammo and a ridge in 308, which i never shot so i can't comment on). I have NEVER experienced a single malfunction or breakage after several years of hunting and avusing the rifles, not a single spec of rust or anything to complain. So for me they are good to go. All bolt action bergaras are also cerakoted from
the factory since 2022.
With a budget of 2k, especially given much lower prices of rifles in the american market, you can maybe get a semicustom (?). Otherwise i would buy a bergara and save some money on ammo. I don't know much about the premier line. I never shot a savage but, handling them, i didn't have a good feeling for what it's worth. The Springfield waypoint could be a good option, i just don't like its look so much with that green coating. Tikka could also be an option but i personally won't own one, i don't like their barrel lenght (too long or too short), their weight (too light or too heavy) and their barrel contour (again, too light or too heavy), I don't like their cheap stocks and their look. If you are ok with a very thin barrel and a higher than expected recoil and if you are gonna replace the stock, they sound like amazing options for what people say on forums.

I had a 6.5 PRC in a CA Rigeline and it shot lights out with Factory 143 ELD-X. Half minute groups to 600 yards was the norm. I also loaded it up with 124 grain Hammer Hunters andit was like a lightening bolt when you shot game with it. I have several others from CA that shoot just as good. Don't just buy into the stuff you read on here unless you hear it first hand from someone that has actually had an issue with CA. I am not saying that they haven't had their issues but most gun manufacturers have at one time or another. I know lots guys here in my part of Montana that have CA rifles and they love them. Of course these are my opinions but they are based on first hand experience.
I agree. With all the possibility to share one person's (usually negative) experiences nowadays, all what it takes to give a bad reputation to a brand is maybe some months of lowering of QC (maybe because enormous increase in production rates) to make people start bashing the brand, usually without first hand experience.

Sweet, I just got a tikka in 6.5 PRC about 6 months ago. It shoots great. Running Winchester 125 gr impact factory through it shoots about a half inch group at 100. I'm in Florida
Thought I would drop back in and say I found a half box of factory 147gr eldm Hornady bullets I forgot about. So I threw my portable bench up and bag and front rest fired 3 rounds @100yds and got a 3/8" group. I put my stuff back up and went about my business. I decided I would take that any day. Maybe next week I'll have time to do load development with the 143gr eldx bullets. Arm up and carry on gentlemen.

Attachments

• 20230920_120915.jpg
    20230920_120915.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 43
My experience with Savage 110 is they are vastly underrated; they shoot great and are a low-cost solution to the guy who wants to hunt but does not benefit from "fat wallet" syndrome. Both nephews have light weight with proof research barrel and carbon fiber stocks--they are lightweight and great shooters. I personally love SAKO 85 and Browning X Bolt for "off the shelf" rifles...I also love Weatherby but they don't always have the cartridge you're seeking--I have mostly Mark V in their cartridges. The last Browning X-Bolt I bought shot so well it made me rethink the logic of custom rifles. I have three customs and the 6.5 PRC browning shoots a little bigger than one hole with factory ammo...so hmmmm.

My experience with Savage 110 is they are vastly underrated; they shoot great and are a low-cost solution to the guy who wants to hunt but does not benefit from "fat wallet" syndrome. Both nephews have light weight with proof research barrel and carbon fiber stocks--they are lightweight and great shooters. I personally love SAKO 85 and Browning X Bolt for "off the shelf" rifles...I also love Weatherby but they don't always have the cartridge you're seeking--I have mostly Mark V in their cartridges. The last Browning X-Bolt I bought shot so well it made me rethink the logic of custom rifles. I have three customs and the 6.5 PRC browning shoots a little bigger than one hole with factory ammo...so hmmmm.
Very great point. I am amazed at how well my SAKO S20 Hunter shoots and it is just a couple hundred bucks more than a Browning X-Bolt. I have 2 Browning X-Bolts by the way (25-06 and 28 Nosler) and love them both. When you get factory rifles that shoot "bug holes" it makes you wonder about dropping $4k to $5k on a bare rifle. Nothing against them (a Fierce has been a dream rifle of mine); however not sure I can justify the price difference given only incremental (if that) accuracy improvements over what I currently have.

I'm really liking my Sako S20!
I have a SAKO S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC and I dearly love it. I think it is a very underrated rifle for $1,500 and it shoots lights out. I shot a .75" group at 300 yards with it new out of the box with factory ammo--not bad. With my reloads at 100 yards I am shooting about .375" groups.

I have a SAKO S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC and I dearly love it. I think it is a very underrated rifle for $1,500 and it shoots lights out. I shot a .75" group at 300 yards with it new out of the box with factory ammo--not bad. With my reloads at 100 yards I am shooting about .375" groups.
If you don't mind sharing what is your load data

Very great point. I am amazed at how well my SAKO S20 Hunter shoots and it is just a couple hundred bucks more than a Browning X-Bolt. I have 2 Browning X-Bolts by the way (25-06 and 28 Nosler) and love them both. When you get factory rifles that shoot "bug holes" it makes you wonder about dropping $4k to $5k on a bare rifle. Nothing against them (a Fierce has been a dream rifle of mine); however not sure I can justify the price difference given only incremental (if that) accuracy improvements over what I currently have.
I hear you man. I have two Fierce custom rifles, one in 7mm-08 and one in 6.8 Western. They shoot great, but right on the ragged edge of .5 MOA advertised with factory ammo. I haven't worked up handloads yet but I have all the goods after a yearlong search (except for RL-26 powder I'd like to try). I love my Fierce rifles, but both took me about 15 months to receive them--customer support didn't suck but was kind of "meh"--they never called m with an update and every time I called, we took 5 minutes of talking to the new guy to get caught up and run down the status for my build--first world problems. That said, the performance of my off the shelf SAKO and Browning rifles gives me pause--that Browning 6.5 PRC shoots better than my Fierce customs. I put the Leopold VX6 HD 3-18 X 50 scope on it with custom turrets and that brings the total tax, title and license to $3,900 for a long range, nicely built, very pretty tack driver. Conversely, I have about 7K in each of the Fierce rigs and they shoot lights out, but not better than my OTS Browning, so perhaps a philosophical reassessment is due on my part. :cool:
Yeah man, I'd be interested in load data as well! I reload for 40 calibers right now, so I can trade info if you like😜

Just curious about the talk about rifles shooting factory ammo and small groups. For me, small groups are meh if I'm not getting low es and sd. On another note, I've not shot factory ammo in a long range rifle for years. Mainly due to inconsistencies in all of it. Just curious about the thoughts. I've shot ruger American rifles that surprisingly super accurate with hand loads. Yep I'll still take my customs tho. Ha

So here is some load data:
Factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X averaged 2,742fps and grouped 3/4" at 300 yards (I didn't group them at 100 yards).
My best reload (performance and accuracy) is as follows: 6.5 PRC Lapua brass with .002" shoulder bump; Fed 210M primer; 60.5gr of RL 25; 143gr ELD-X seated .017" off the lands. Avg 3,026fps; 3 shot group at 100 yards 3/8" all day everyday and twice on Sunday. I will take that all day long from a $1,500 gun (bare gun not including scope and rings). To be honest I am still experimenting with some VV N565 that is coming very close to the RL 25 on the velocity. If I can get the same performance and accuracy from the VV N565 I would rather use it because I have much more of it and it burns cleaner and has anti-fouling agents in it. RL 26 would be my preference; however it is impossible to find. I am told that VV N565 is very close to RL 26; however I have no scientific proof of that but recently I have read a lot of viable information that seems to indicate the burn rates are very close. Hope this helps. Thanks