6.5 PRC issues

Well did you shoot it after cleaning out the carbon ring? Did you chamber a few rounds? I did have a headspace issue with my Mesa 6.5 prc. Needed a few thousands more as fired brass did not grow in length. Called Christensen and talked to a tech. Explained how my "Hand loaded" ammo did don't grow after firing. They took a few thousands off the bolt face and polished it nicely. Now they grow about .002. They never said a word about my not using factory ammo. The turn around was a few weeks.
Here's my advice if you're gonna continue to shoot Hornady factory ammo and a suppressor on that gun. Get a good carbon cleaner and some bronze brushes . Developed a good routine for removing that ring and do it often.

Well did you shoot it after cleaning out the carbon ring? Did you chamber a few rounds? I did have a headspace issue with my Mesa 6.5 prc. Needed a few thousands more as fired brass did not grow in length. Called Christensen and talked to a tech. Explained how my "Hand loaded" ammo did don't grow after firing. They took a few thousands off the bolt face and polished it nicely. Now they grow about .002. They never said a word about my not using factory ammo. The turn around was a few weeks.
Here's my advice if you're gonna continue to shoot Hornady factory ammo and a suppressor on that gun. Get a good carbon cleaner and some bronze brushes . Developed a good routine for removing that ring and do it often.
I did not shoot it but I did chamber a few rounds and it still pulled copper so that's when I decided to just send it back. They have received it but no word yet.

Just by the look of your first pictures you had a wicked bad carbon ring. one bad enough you are scraping copper off the bullet. I imaging you could feel it when chambering a round. A carbon ring that bad would take hours and hours to scrub out. I have around 200-250 rounds through my 6.5 prc, I've yet to have the carbon ring issue. I also don't shoot suppressed, or shoot factory ammo. I've always used hand loads with clean burning powders. I use cleaning products and techniques that help keep carbon rings in check. Christensen will clean your gun for you. They will shoot it. They will email you everything is fine and send it back. Unless you invest in some good cleaners, brushes and learn to use them, you will be right back here again.

Well, for you guys that say trim ejector springs, clean up the throat and a whole raft of other work on a brand new, high dollar gun, you are far more tolerant than I am. No way would I accept a rifle with these many faults. I would want my money back.
30378, the dual extractor thing has been explained already, and the OP has verified he was shooting ONLY factory ammo, no reloads at all. Thus, all the talk of seating depth, loads etc are not germane to this particular guns behaviour and issues. You guys are free to suggest solutions but the long and short, the gun is not behaving properly and needs to be fixed by CA, replaced or refunded. The issues are not the result of the OP doing anything wrong.
He just needed to clean it. it shot fine until it developed a carbon ring. You can see how much copper is built up in front of the carbon ring. He is seeing the same results as running his bullet seated hard into the lands. not trying too be rude but some of you all shouldn't have pets, let alone guns.

Just by the look of your first pictures you had a wicked bad carbon ring. one bad enough you are scraping copper off the bullet. I imaging you could feel it when chambering a round. A carbon ring that bad would take hours and hours to scrub out. I have around 200-250 rounds through my 6.5 prc, I've yet to have the carbon ring issue. I also don't shoot suppressed, or shoot factory ammo. I've always used hand loads with clean burning powders. I use cleaning products and techniques that help keep carbon rings in check. Christensen will clean your gun for you. They will shoot it. They will email you everything is fine and send it back. Unless you invest in some good cleaners, brushes and learn to use them, you will be right back here again.
Wether you're right or wrong? You're I this.. and I that…is condescending and overly opinionated.

Attachments

• BB074453-B1D2-40DD-942B-9D81450C6BBE.jpeg
    BB074453-B1D2-40DD-942B-9D81450C6BBE.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
And? After 12 pages of some of the most ridiculous replies the best you got is i'm being condensending? i didn't try and convince the guy to monkey f#$k his ejector springs, seat his bullets deeper, his hand loads were too hot, the gun was chambered wrong, it needed a new barrel or that in general Christensen rifles are junk. I told him the things I know for a fact , didn't cause issues with my gun. i did let him know from my experience having service on a Christensen rifle ,what to expect. I'm not sure that makes me condescending, but I do appreciate your feedback.

And? After 12 pages of some of the most ridiculous replies the best you got is i'm being condensending? i didn't try and convince the guy to monkey f#$k his ejector springs, seat his bullets deeper, his hand loads were too hot, the gun was chambered wrong, it needed a new barrel or that in general Christensen rifles are junk. I told him the things I know for a fact , didn't cause issues with my gun. i did let him know from my experience having service on a Christensen rifle ,what to expect. I'm not sure that makes me condescending, but I do appreciate your feedback.
Rough morning eh. I hope the rest of the day is better.

Why do you say that? Break your expert analysis down for us please.
Try reading post number 89 where I backtracked. I realized there was insufficient info. I have zero prob stating if wrong or made an error with civility.

I think it doesn't take an expert to be able to find it without me having to link it.

Have a nice day, you need one.

muddy, you're first 2 replies are about as relevant to the op as your last about the kind of day I'm having. Seems you don't have a clue about what you're commenting about. I wonder how many of your 6,248 shared messages have the same careful thought you put into this last several?

Update:

Our top gunsmiths have performed a full detailed inspection, cleaned, and carefully completed the following services on your firearm:
Adjusted Headspace, Polished Chamber, Test Fired for Function, -

We've cleaned and performed a final inspection and your firearm is on its way to shipping.

Update:

Our top gunsmiths have performed a full detailed inspection, cleaned, and carefully completed the following services on your firearm:
Adjusted Headspace, Polished Chamber, Test Fired for Function, -

We've cleaned and performed a final inspection and your firearm is on its way to shipping.
Be interesting to see how much you like the re-tuned version. Sounds like they agreed with the majority of us, in terms of what was wrong with the rifle.

Wonder if Okieman has the fortitude to apologise to all those he castigated in so many ways.

Adjusted headspace? How? Is the bolt face polished? Did they recut chamber? Rebarrel it, cut the ejector springs? I'm sure cleaning the carbon ring out did nothing for his issue. Be interesting to hear how this rifle does the next 90 rounds. I'm sure Christensen wouldn't just send a reply, learn to clean your gun. We will know for sure when there's another my Christensen is the worst rifle thread.