6.5 PRC issues

Well, if that is factory ammo then I would say that gun DEFINITELY needs to go back. I am not into calling out people I have never met, but the pictures say that is not factory ammo. Even with dual ejectors, you don't get overlapping ejector marks nor can you get three on the same case head.

Those aren't "swipes", they're ejector marks from the case slapping the dual ejectors and bolt face. Did it on both the CA 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC I owned. Got rid of the 6.5 and rechambered the 300 to 30 Sherman Mag and won't buy another CA. My guns both showed the same ejector marks with every fired case and had headspace issues and tight chambers and that was after giving CA a chance to supposedly fix the 6.5.

Send the whole works (rifle, fired brass & ammo lot number) back to the factory uncleaned (dirty) & ask for an explanation of any "carbon ring" problem. CA Ridgeline FFT should know all about "carbon rings". Hopefully, they will install a new barrel, the old one sure looks messed up with only 30 rounds - all those copper fouling deposits on throat & scraped up unfired bullet.

Contact Hornady and ask them about soft brass & if any problems exist with that lot of ammo. Hornady should provide ammo pressures that would be comparable to those listed on Hodgdon site.

Fortunately, I have never had problems like the OP had. I only shoot handloads and my barrels are not factory.

Eating Popcorn Meme GIFs | Tenor

You CAN'T,.. "Tell" Chamber Dimensions, FROM,.. a Bore Scoped,.. Picture,.. Duh !
That's very true, but bore scoping will show problems with bad cutting by the reamer because of poor chip removal during the reaming. This can cause all kinds of weird behavior and when you see that there is no other choice but to rechamber the barrel

I'm going to send it back. Don't know how long it will take but I'll let ya know what they say
I think you're wasting time sending it back. That's only an opinion, mine only, and I don't portend to speak for anyone else. Nor am I suggesting you go against your better judgment. I only offer my opinion because you came here looking for my opinion. As well as the 150 other opinions you got.

I know nothing of christensen arms. But I do know about carbon rings and you have a bad one. "Had" I should say. You knocked most of it out with one focused cleaninf once you knew what you were up against. I literally consider a carbon ring a part of life. I deal with it just like I deal with taxes and health insurance. I'm no fan of it, but it's there and it's up to me to make the most out of it. There's not a smith on the planet that will warranty their work on the basis of a carbon ring forming.

Now, if once down to bare metal there are dings and scores and other abrasions, send it in. Otherwise, just deal with the carbon deposits a little more aggressively (spend some time at the throat and scope it every cleaning) and you're gtg.

That's very true, but bore scoping will show problems with bad cutting by the reamer because of poor chip removal during the reaming. This can cause all kinds of weird behavior and when you see that there is no other choice but to rechamber the barrel
That was, SAID,. already ( Rechamber Barrel ) and the Rifling Marks "Problem", was seen on, the Bullet's,.. First, Pictures.
You're late to the Party,.. Read,.. the First, 3 Pages
YES,.. Poor,.. ream "Job" and I seriously doubt IF, a Test Fire, "Inspection", was done.
OP said that, he was sending this Rifle, back to, Factory,.. PER at least, 5 or, 6,.. "Recommendations"

Last edited:
That was, SAID,. already ( Rechamber Barrel ) and the Rifling Marks "Problem", was seen on, the Bullet's,.. First, Pictures.
You're late to the Party,.. Read,.. the First, 3 Pages
YES,.. Poor,.. ream "Job" and I seriously doubt IF, a Test Fire, "Inspection", was done.
OP said that, he was sending this Rifle, back to, Factory,.. PER at least, 5 or, 6,.. "Recommendations"
The reason I keep emphasizing the importance of bore scoping is that it is fundamental to diagnosing a problem. When simple measures don't correct the problem then you need to LOOK for a structural problem. Looking is not a panacea. One thing that will not be seen on bore scoping is a poor alignment of the chamber to the center line of the bore. Carbon rings are not an inevitable fact of life. I have some 30 rifles that I don't clean often. I try to use powders that burn clean. I clean them usually about after 100 shots or if they quit shooting otherwise good loads poorly. A factor that favors carbon ring formation is turbulent flow of gas across a surface irregularly causing a swirling of the gas at that point. Bore scoping almost always will show this up. Dirty burning powder will accentuate the problem, surface irregularities will not always lead to a carbon ring but can also lead to variance in the measurements at that point and irregular gas flow and bullet motion at that point. So in my experience, looking down a cleaned bore is fundamental to problem diagnosis in a chronically poorly shooting rifle, so the sooner it is done the sooner the problem can be diagnosed and dealt with.