6.5-.300 weatherby vs 6.5stw

tnhunter211984

Hello to all. My gun smith and was talking the other day and he is wanting to build one of the two rifles mention and he asked my thoughts. I told him i had no idea on them two that i would ask around. He does allot of whitetail hunting but goes every year on a black bear hunt and caribou hunt and he stated he wanted something new and different. He knows they are both barrel burner and said he would be using a 27" rock creek barrel. That all i know and was wanting y'alls input so i can pass the word along.

Why not just use a .264 Win Mag and save a little barrel life?

If I was him, and determined to have a hotrod caliber for deer, caribou, and bear, I'd just go with a regular 7mm STW.

But, if he already has the 6.5 barrel blank, and wants something truly unique, I'd ream the chamber for a .264 Win Mag, then go back and use an interchangeable pilot reamer, and put a 6.5 pilot on a .257 Wby reamer and make a .264 Weatherby. That should be all the hotrod he needs, while still retaining decent barrel life. :D

I'm thinking about building one of them when I rebarrel my A-Bolt II, because of the removable box mag makes you have to load them short, or just about factory OAL...Which sucks, but sometimes you gotta make lemonade when life gives you lemons.

He has a .264win and i have no idea what a 26nosler is never heard of it. I know if it was me i would choose the 6.5-.300weatherby just to be diff and if i ever wanted to elk hunt load up some 140gr sst or swift a frame. But that'd my two cents

Look backs page or 2 there is a big post about the 26 nolser. It's nolsers New cartridge. A 129 lr accubond @ 3400. Case capacity is similar to a 6.5 Dakota (93grs). No necking down. Just load and shoot.

I wish i had looked more into cartridges i would had got a 6.5-.300 weatherby made instead of the 7mm Dakota ha. He said he had heard of 26nosler and that'd all he said.

Hello to all. My gun smith and was talking the other day and he is wanting to build one of the two rifles mention and he asked my thoughts. I told him i had no idea on them two that i would ask around. He does allot of whitetail hunting but goes every year on a black bear hunt and caribou hunt and he stated he wanted something new and different. He knows they are both barrel burner and said he would be using a 27" rock creek barrel. That all i know and was wanting y'alls input so i can pass the word along.
If you are building it for a dedicated LR rifle I'd say a Sendero Taper and 28". If you are going to use it as a carry/mountain rifle, magnum bull contour in the same lengths unless you are planning on sub 600yds shooting in which case you can go with a standard magnum contour.

I'm a huge fan of the 7mm STW and was jus about to pull the trigger on a nice 6.5 STW when I learned the 26 Nosler is coming out. That changed my mind and that's the direction I'll be going due to the availability of factory ammo and good Nosler brass.

When it comes to barrel length though with a case that large with that kind of powder volume it seems like a real wast not to go with at least the 28" barrel so you can get the full benefit of the slower burning powders like H-1000 RL22 and RL25.

The way he is talking he is going to be hunting 500yds and on in. Like i said if i would have done some more looking i would have gotten one of the two mention but more then likely a 6.5-.300 weatherby. Imy wife got my 7mm Dakota built for me and im not complaining one bit about. I might hats for out some money lol can't take the money with me when i leave this old world. My thoughts would be how would the 129gr nosler accubond LR be in either caliber mention. He has my mind in thinking mode on these since I've been helping him look this help. Granted there all barrel burner and i to would get a rock creek barrel and like u said i would go with a 28" barrel with a Macmillan lazzeroni sporter stock. I deer hunt mainly with a few feral hogs.

I know nothing bout the .264cal lol. My wife had him build my 7mm Dakota for me and i hunt 500yds on it with it. My longest shot with my Dakota was last evening of rifle season. I shot a big does about 150yds not long after i shot her a big ol yote came out on the 2nd power pole on me i guessed the distance and knocked him in the dirt at 557yds. Is that DAkota to big for the hunting i do here in Tenn yea but that'd what i wanted. So back to the original question of the caliber i mention He was looking at what would y'alls thoughts be on to do.

My thoughts would be how would the 129gr nosler accubond LR be in either caliber mention.

Horrifying, that is one of the worst bullets to load in a screamer at close range, I know guys who get more penetration out of a Ballistic tip. Nosler designed them to open at low speed and long range, I don't know anyone personally who has put them on deer and elk that will shoot them again because of there close range performance, it's a pity because they could be a great long range or a bullet out of a 6.5x47.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts