6.5 Creedmoor vs .270 Win vs .257 Weatherby

I am another proponent of the .25-06 Ackley.

Mine shoots a 100 TTSX @ 3620fps over 60.3gr. RL22 out of a 28" barrel. Had them up to 3715 with 61gr. but not quite as accurate.

My new load is the 115 Berger HVLD at "measly" 3485fps. Had these up to 3614fps before showing slight signs of pressure.

Factory .25-06 Rem loads can be found anywhere in a pinch, more so than the .257 Weatherby, and cheaper too.

But I digress.....

Out of the 3 you stated, it is like comparing apples to oranges to bananas. Any of them will do the trick for deer size game at medium range (out to 800 or so). Just do it differently.

.257 Weath lacks any of the heavy bullets. Velocity bleeds off quick after 800. Recoil isn't bad.
6.5 Creed lacks a LOT of factory load availability. But great selection for the hand loader. Recoil is a kitten.
.270 Win is tried and true, but nothing "special". Lacks heavy for caliber bullets too. But a 150 is all you need. Recoil is average for a LA cartridge.

But it's just almost impossible to beat the smoothness and light recoil of the .25-06 AI. Not to mention the speeds that are within 100 fps of the .257 Wby with a lot less powder.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, well said. If I had known about the round before I did my Roy I would look very hard at this one.

I am another proponent of the .25-06 Ackley.

Mine shoots a 100 TTSX @ 3620fps over 60.3gr. RL22 out of a 28" barrel. Had them up to 3715 with 61gr. but not quite as accurate.

My new load is the 115 Berger HVLD at "measly" 3485fps. Had these up to 3614fps before showing slight signs of pressure.

Factory .25-06 Rem loads can be found anywhere in a pinch, more so than the .257 Weatherby, and cheaper too.

But I digress.....

Out of the 3 you stated, it is like comparing apples to oranges to bananas. Any of them will do the trick for deer size game at medium range (out to 800 or so). Just do it differently.

.257 Weath lacks any of the heavy bullets. Velocity bleeds off quick after 800. Recoil isn't bad.
6.5 Creed lacks a LOT of factory load availability. But great selection for the hand loader. Recoil is a kitten.
.270 Win is tried and true, but nothing "special". Lacks heavy for caliber bullets too. But a 150 is all you need. Recoil is average for a LA cartridge.

What load are you using to get that speed from the 115. I have a 28 " hart barrel on my Roy and I haven't seemed to get to 3600 fps. 73.3 gr h-1000

Last edited:
What load are you using to get that speed from the 115. I have a 28 " hart barrel on my Roy and I haven't seemed to get to 3600 fps. 73.3 gr h-1000
28" Shilen #5 sporter contour. I can seat the bullets with the boat tail at the base of shoulder before I touch the lands.

Nosler Brass
CCI 250 Mag primer
58.0gr. RL22
115 Berger HVLD
.0050" jump
3485 fps
Shoots in the .2-.3s consistently, and well under MOA at 1371 yards.

Nosler Brass
CCI 250 Mag primer
60.5gr. RL22
115 Berger HVLD
.0010 Jammed
3614fps
Slightly flattened primer on 2 of 5 rounds (so too hot for my gun)
Might have been able to seat them just off the lands to reduce pressure, but I never tried. Other loads were more accurate, and in a high node during ladder testing (57.0-59.0).

I use 7828 SSC in my .25-06 AI behind the 115 VLD, backed by a Fed 210m primer, and brass formed from Winchester .270 Win cases.

My load is about max in my gun, but I haven't chrono'd it yet, as final node testing has not been completed. Last year I didn't have much free time to shoot, so I have a lot of load development for a lot of rifles that needs to be finished up.

Y'all seem to be forgetting the copper requirement of the OP.

A 25-06 would be very nice, regular or AI. If I wasn't so stuck on Weatherby's I'd go there.

Except for the 6.5 Creedmoor where there is only 1 loaded lead free from Hornady, for all of them + the 25-06 there is plenty of loaded ammo. 3 to 12 offerings at Midway.

Y'all seem to be forgetting the copper requirement of the OP.

A 25-06 would be very nice, regular or AI. If I wasn't so stuck on Weatherby's I'd go there.

Except for the 6.5 Creedmoor where there is only 1 loaded lead free from Hornady, for all of them + the 25-06 there is plenty of loaded ammo. 3 to 12 offerings at Midway.

The OP stated he reloads, so any of the rounds have all-copper bullets available in multiple weights for reloading.

Still not sure why the OP doesn't just work up a separate load using a lighter copper bullet for his current rifle......unless......he just wants an excuse to buy a new rifle!!! Never mind, a .300H&H needs a baby brother.

In the 70's, 80's and early 90's I did a lot of deer smacking with a .257 WM near everything (other than a few Coyotes) was taken with a hand loaded 100 gr BT bullet of one type or another; loved it. Spend a lot of time on a Pre 64 Win 70 .270 great combo.. but I liked the .257 WM better. The 6.5 Creed, well I put a couple down range (friends rifles) on the 1k range.. super caliber, as for the cartridge, for what it does; it does it well.
I thought of a 6.5mm many times in the pasted, like some many back then, it was an "none American" and Elmer and Jack weren't talking much about them.

With today's bullets and powders'.., along with great rifle barrel makers'.., I think I'd be all over the .264 Win Mag.
Some time after the 6.5 Rem Mag was brought out... they ran some 6.5 Rem Mags in a M700 BDL I picked one up'..., why I didn't just by a .264 Win Mag; I'll never quite understand, but the rifle shot great, still the bullets weren't there yet so I used it as a back up to .257 WM for awhile then sold it to a friend in the early 70's.
Today that rifle and caliber (6.5 Rem Mag) would be a death ray, not as fast as the 6.5 Win Mag, but accuracy was over the top.

So to shorten this; I'd go with a 264 WM'..., you have the rifle and action for it.

The OP stated he reloads, so any of the rounds have all-copper bullets available in multiple weights for reloading.

Still not sure why the OP doesn't just work up a separate load using a lighter copper bullet for his current rifle......unless......he just wants an excuse to buy a new rifle!!! Never mind, a .300H&H needs a baby brother.
Yup, can't have those rifles lonely in the safe. Need a herd to maintain mental stability.....

I was able to buy an old sako 30-06 that my great grandpa built, so the 300 isn't completely lonely, but I do think it wants the company of something other than 30 cal. lol I love both those guns, but they are a little on the heavy side. Plus I don't want to have to re zero everytime I switch loads. So I think thats a good excuse for something new. The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards the 257 or 25-06. I know my grandpa has a pre-64 win mod 70 in 264 wm that my great grandpa bedded and pinned that he would sell me, but then I'm still in the heavier gun category. So it looks like I'll get either the 257 or 25-07. Thank you guys for all your help

If it helps at all i have a .257 wby and the 100 e-tips is what it likes best. Shot my whitetail last year at just shy of 500yds, bullet performed great! Will try and post a pic when i get home. i dont have to use lead free but when they shoot this good i use them anyways.:D mine likes 73.5gr of rl25 and is right around 3350fps if i remeber correct. will have to check my notes. I say you can''t go wrong with the wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.