270 Weatherby vs Winchester

The "German Mark V" have been produced by famous Sauer & Sohn in Western Germany with outstanding quality standards. They would match most of today's custom builds without any problems! So, you shouldn't change anything except the barrel due to a faster twist. Personally, I'd go with the "ordinary" 270 Win, because I love this cartridge and its characteristics.

Im not really sure what the min order is either:) When I had them in stock they sat for literally years before selling.
Now that they are gone more people want them, human nature I suppose. However I may up the BC with a new die and bring them back out in the future.

That would be awesome; I'm getting low on the 175s. Cheers!

My grandpa left behind a mint German Mark V and a mint Pre64 in the previous States calibers. He left Weatherby brass and I'm a handloader. But I've heard the German 270 Weatherby rifles have a 1-12 twist. I'd like to run high BC bullets/elk through it. I've also heard the Weatherby is finicky to load for and not as accurate. Help?!

The 270 Weatherby will smack the chit out of a 270 WCF, with all bullet weights. If you want to shoot high BC bullets, you are somewhat limited with a 12 twist, however.

How far are you planning to shoot? If it's 500 or less, the slick bullets aren't going to make much difference. A 130 Accubond loaded in the 3400-3500 FPS range will work nicely on Elk.

As for reloading, I've reload for all 3 270's(WBY,WSM,WCF). I've actually found the 270 Wby no more or less finicky than the other 2. It's actually been very trouble free. I suggest starting first with IMR-7828. With 130's, it's by far provided the best combo of accuracy and speed of all other powders i've tried. Most guy's I know who shoot the 270 Wby are using 7828. If for some strange reason, the 7828 doesn't work, try RL-22.

The 270 Weatherby will smack the chit out of a 270 WCF, with all bullet weights. If you want to shoot high BC bullets, you are somewhat limited with a 12 twist, however.

How far are you planning to shoot? If it's 500 or less, the slick bullets aren't going to make much difference. A 130 Accubond loaded in the 3400-3500 FPS range will work nicely on Elk.

As for reloading, I've reload for all 3 270's(WBY,WSM,WCF). I've actually found the 270 Wby no more or less finicky than the other 2. It's actually been very trouble free. I suggest starting first with IMR-7828. With 130's, it's by far provided the best combo of accuracy and speed of all other powders i've tried. Most guy's I know who shoot the 270 Wby are using 7828. If for some strange reason, the 7828 doesn't work, try RL-22.
I didn't want to be the first to say that.

For the 12 twist 270Wby, yes 130 Accubonds. When you are practicing/working up a load, shoot sloooowwwwllllyyyyy.

We, well my shooter I load for, was doing feral pigs to 500+ routinely. DRT but then he was a competitve Trap & Skeet shooter.

Check your Wby barrel twist as above recommended. On the .270 Win may I suggest that before you go reaming and re chambering to something you cant get commercial ammo for that you simply try Hornady Superformance ammo. The 200fps gain w Superformance pushes it to near Wby velocities and now Hornady makes both the 130SST and GMX loadings. At 35-39.00 a box it's not a bad deal. Ive shot a lot of it to compare to green box 130 Rem and Win SuperX 130 and theres 5" difference at 100y. That 5" height diff equates to an easy 300y zero with no holdover/under for the intermediate ranges. And it extends the effective range to 500y pretty accurately with little a holdover. And no, I don't work for Hornady, just a .270 guy who has both Win and WbyMag and luvs to shoot both a lot. Congrats on receiving two great rifles. That Wby pic is awesome.

Check your Wby barrel twist as above recommended. On the .270 Win may I suggest that before you go reaming and re chambering to something you cant get commercial ammo for that you simply try Hornady Superformance ammo. The 200fps gain w Superformance pushes it to near Wby velocities and now Hornady makes both the 130SST and GMX loadings. At 35-39.00 a box it's not a bad deal. Ive shot a lot of it to compare to green box 130 Rem and Win SuperX 130 and theres 5" difference at 100y. That 5" height diff equates to an easy 300y zero with no holdover/under for the intermediate ranges. And it extends the effective range to 500y pretty accurately with little a holdover. And no, I don't work for Hornady, just a .270 guy who has both Win and WbyMag and luvs to shoot both a lot. Congrats on receiving two great rifles. That Wby pic is awesome.

If an Ackley chambering is properly setup, you can shoot factory ammo with the same accuracy, and be forming brass at the same time.

The Ackley Improved design has more benefits than just simply velocity by stuffing more powder in it. It also promotes longer brass life, allows similar chamber pressures at safe levels with more velocity, thanks to increased case capacity, and the 40* shoulder helps keep brass from growning as fast, so it hardly ever needs trimming.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.