6.5 Creedmoor vs .270 Win vs .257 Weatherby

Do what I did! I got all three! Problem solved. :D

I like the way you think!lightbulb haha And knowing myself, I will probably end up with all three eventually. If I was to go with a .270Win, a 130gr. ETip starting at 3100fps will be about 1965fps at 600yrds. I understand that nosler's minimum recommended for the ETip is 1800fps. Do you think that I might be asking for trouble getting that close to the minimum? Deer can go a long way with only a pin hole in them.

I have and regularly hunt with both the 270 and 257 for exactly the yardage you say. Both are fantastic rounds. I have to say after getting several deer with both at around d the 500 yard mark I prefer the 257. Just a soft spot in me for that round and the spped is amazing. Now when moving to lead free like you are saying I think it would start to pull ahead a bit just for what you stated minimum expansion. The only thing you will want with a Weatherby is to watch your barrel length. A 24 inch 257 I don't feel would be any better than a 270 maybe even worse but when you get the extra length like a 26 inch it really shines. I've played a bit with lead free in mine and not really all that impressed,until iI tried the cutting edge lead free very impressive so far. Gonna try and do a side by side with the barnes this fall on some deer. You can't go wrong with either.

Maybe you should consider the 25-06 Ackley Improved. A 26" barrel will easily match Weatherby velocities and once you have fire-formed 100 brass, they will last through several loadings. Just rebarreled mine to a 240 Weatherby & regret that choice. Should have stuck with the 25 Ackley.
Thanks, Kirk
P.S. Also lots less recoil that the 3 other cartridges you mentioned.

I just bought a 257 weatherby for the lead free.Going to try the 100 grain Barnes for our coastal and Montana deer as it sounds like it has a devastating results.
What about the 270wsm?

Maybe you should consider the 25-06 Ackley Improved. A 26" barrel will easily match Weatherby velocities and once you have fire-formed 100 brass, they will last through several loadings. Just rebarreled mine to a 240 Weatherby & regret that choice. Should have stuck with the 25 Ackley.
Thanks, Kirk
P.S. Also lots less recoil that the 3 other cartridges you mentioned.

I have heard this before but have yet to see an AI match the speed of the Roy with any tube over 24. 26 may be possible but it would not be easy. Not saying it can't be done. It is also a great round that many like and if your using it at the range a better choice. But the fact that its gonna be a hunting round changes everythingg for me. Fact is you can buy 257 roy right off the shelf at almost every sporting goods. So if your in a pinch which happens for one reason or another the Roy wins. That is why I chose the Roy over the AI why go through all the hassle of fire forming your brass, and not being able to buy it over the counter in a pinch just to match the speed of the Roy. Barrel life and brass are better in the AI but most will never shoot enough rounds hunting to matter. To many other fun guns to try out lol.

So as many of you know, California will soon be a lead free hunting state. I am looking into getting/building a California specific rifle for deer. As of right now My go to hunting rifle is a pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 300 H&H that I have perfected and don't want to have to reload it for lead free. I plan on using Nosler ETips and would like some opinions as to what would be a good caliber for my application. A few things that I am looking for: a caliber that will reliably expand the ETip at 500-600 yards, brass that is easily attainable for reloading, preferably a rifle on the lighter side for the steep canyons/mountains I hunt, and a rifle with recoil less than a .300 Win (not that it bothers me, but our deer here have small bodies so I feel it is unnecessary).

These are the 3 calibers that have peaked my interest, but I am open to other suggestions. What do you think would work best?

Man this is like the Ford Chevy Dodge question. They all have there pros and cons.
A few things I look for in a medium size game rifle:
Factory ammo availability.
Size and weight.
Versatility.
Minimal recoil.
It's my opinion that long cartridges perform better in longer barrel rifles. Shorter guns are just easier to pack around. Of the rifles you mention I would choose the 270wm but imho I think that a 270wsm would fit better than all the others listed within my requirements. They perform very well with either 110 or 130 grain Barnes ttsx bullets. Bc on the 130 is close to .400 and the 270wsm should have no problem pushing them at 3200+ even out of a short barrel hunting gun.
Imo the only thing better for the ultimate mid size hunting gun out to 700 yds would be a 6.5wsm that was commercially available.
Hopefully someday they will be.

of the 3 listed id say 270 wcf, build it but use a custom 26 in barrel 1-10 twist is the norm but 1-9 being talked up even more lately,remember better bullets being built as we speek. if JOC was living now i know for a fact hed endorse the also great 270 wsm, remember Jack had the choice of any factory round and he choose the 270 wcf even over the 270 roy food for thought & my .2 cents regards jjmp

My vote is for the 270 with the Horandy 130 GMX is a great hunting bullet. I have used it on Nevada Mule Deer with great results at 450 with it being DRT.

After review of your choices and the weight grain availability of your bullet choice the 100 gr from the 257WBY at 3600 has an advantage at the limit of your range. The 130gr 270W has the advantage over the 120gr 6.5CM with 1060 FPS of energy at 600 while the CM will be less than 1000 at 500.

After shooting deer for years with the 260 rem I will offer this wounding is not broad when velocity is slower. The 260 and the CM are for the most part identical and with proper bullet selection can do a reasonable job at harvesting game at extended ranges IMO 400 yards max for humane harvesting of game.

The 6.5 mm bullets at lower velocities with controlled expansion will enter caliber size and exit an animal maybe 1/2" in diameter. The E-Tip says 1800 fps minimum the 120gr in the CM will not be that fast at the limits of your range the 270 will be with little to spare.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I've only done a little with my 257Wby and nothing with my 270Win but data and physics... 257 Weatherby will outfly the all.

After review of your choices and the weight grain availability of your bullet choice the 100 gr from the 257WBY at 3600 has an advantage at the limit of your range. The 130gr 270W has the advantage over the 120gr 6.5CM with 1060 FPS of energy at 600 while the CM will be less than 1000 at 500.

After shooting deer for years with the 260 rem I will offer this wounding is not broad when velocity is slower. The 260 and the CM are for the most part identical and with proper bullet selection can do a reasonable job at harvesting game at extended ranges IMO 400 yards max for humane harvesting of game.

The 6.5 mm bullets at lower velocities with controlled expansion will enter caliber size and exit an animal maybe 1/2" in diameter. The E-Tip says 1800 fps minimum the 120gr in the CM will not be that fast at the limits of your range the 270 will be with little to spare.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Why would one choose anything but a 140 grain in the 6.5 running at 2800 fps? That round remains supersonic past 1200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts