270 Weatherby vs Winchester

Takem406

My grandpa left behind a mint German Mark V and a mint Pre64 in the previous States calibers. He left Weatherby brass and I'm a handloader. But I've heard the German 270 Weatherby rifles have a 1-12 twist. I'd like to run high BC bullets/elk through it. I've also heard the Weatherby is finicky to load for and not as accurate. Help?!

Can't help you on the Wby, but if it were my Pre-64 .270 Win, I'd have the chamber opened to .270 Ackley Improved for bringing that ole Winny nearly up to Weatherby velocities, if it has a tighter twist, and using it for your elk rifle with the high-BC bullets.

406, if you verify the .270 Wby twist with a cleaning rod you will know for sure. Then check various bullet manufacturers published twist data. Like the .270 AI option or a rebarrel of the Wby to 1:10. Good luck

406, if you verify the .270 Wby twist with a cleaning rod you will know for sure. Then check various bullet manufacturers published twist data. Like the .270 AI option or a rebarrel of the Wby to 1:10. Good luck

Will do!

Attachments

• Weatherby .jpg
    Weatherby .jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 94
406, I agree, that is an exceptional stock. A friend had an outstanding stock on his 300 Wby Mark V and replaced it with a B&C Medalist so his wife could hunt with it.

The Winchesters (yeah two pre64 270's mint) weren't as pretty but dang! I might luck out in the end... Or one of two Browning Safar Grade 243's...

Yep! First thing before a scope even is a B&C Stock for that rifle. I see Stockys stocks (hahaha ok that was lame) one for the German Weatherby. I baby my stuff, but dang thats too pretty for hunting (for me).

Now for some glass...

Here's a picture of one of the Winchester's. Also the Browning Safari 243 with the factory tag attached. We did end up with the Browning B78 in 22-250, that looks to be fun! Also a Sako Riihimaki 222!
There was also that Winchester Model 54 I believe in 06 from 1927 lol. I love firearms history and the quality of the guns back then.

Indeed, the German 270 Weatherby's were usually 12 twist. Check it. If it is it will shoot 130 Accubonds well but not much else. Faster is better. If it is a later 10 twist it will do anything any other 10 twist 270 cal will, only faster.

You have 2 very fine rifles. Both capable of much utility as well as beautility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for a 270AI going 3000 with a 175 Matrix: I can't find a .277 Matrix at 175 grains. There is a 165 Matrix VLD. Maybe Marshal can shed some light on this.lightbulb

Im not really sure what the min order is either:) When I had them in stock they sat for literally years before selling.
Now that they are gone more people want them, human nature I suppose. However I may up the BC with a new die and bring them back out in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.