6.5 Creedmoor vs .270 Win vs .257 Weatherby

Westernhunter6

So as many of you know, California will soon be a lead free hunting state. I am looking into getting/building a California specific rifle for deer. As of right now My go to hunting rifle is a pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 300 H&H that I have perfected and don't want to have to reload it for lead free. I plan on using Nosler ETips and would like some opinions as to what would be a good caliber for my application. A few things that I am looking for: a caliber that will reliably expand the ETip at 500-600 yards, brass that is easily attainable for reloading, preferably a rifle on the lighter side for the steep canyons/mountains I hunt, and a rifle with recoil less than a .300 Win (not that it bothers me, but our deer here have small bodies so I feel it is unnecessary).

These are the 3 calibers that have peaked my interest, but I am open to other suggestions. What do you think would work best?

I have hunted for years with a 257 here in Wyoming and absolutely love that caliber. Hunting beside me for all those years is my dad with his trusty 270. Both work for all we put them through. Two years ago I switched to a 264 win mag. So my opinion is any of the three will succeed out to the 5-600 yard range and it comes to personal preference. I have no experience with the lead free issues so the choice might be more importantly focused on which caliber has the best bullet options for what you have available. That is the primary reason I went with the 264 over the 257, as the 257 does not excel with high BC options. The 270 is getting better but it didn't have very many high BC options either.

So as great as the 270 and 257 are, I would probably look to the 6.5 just because of better bullet choices.

Thanks for the input everyone. From what I've read, the faster you push the lead free bullets, the better for reliable expansion. That's what made me look into the .257 Weatherby. After researching it, I really like everything I have read about the .257. I will own one eventually, whether for CA or when I go to WY (about every other year). I have a lot of experience with .270s and as stated, tried and true. My great grandpa was a custom rifle builder and that was his go to gun. And the 6.5 sounds like a really fun gun to shoot and I like the ballistics. I don't feel I can go wrong with any of them, I just want to make sure I get good expansion at 600 yards. Here is the only options in the etip for these calibers:

.257- 100gr. BC 0.409 SD 0.216
6.5- 120gr. BC 0.497 SD 0.246
.277- 130gr. BC 0.459 SD 0.242

I hate that CA feels they need to complicate everything!

Id definitely choose the 6.5 Creedmoor out of those three. It has low recoil and very high B.C. bullets that really make this round shine at long range. It will do almost what a 270 will at 500-600 yards but with less recoil. Its a dream to shoot and inherently very accurate. The Creedmoor will have the best barrel life out of these three as well. All three are great rounds though. Just my .02

.270 Winchester!!! It's been doing the job on deer since the 20's and is a cartridge the you'll find on sporting good stores and gun shop shelves if you drop you ammo overboard or off a cliff.

I'm going to have to say of the three the .270 gets my vote. It was my first rifle(Browning A-bolt) and I still have and shoot never had a elk or mule deer walk away from 15 yard out to 518 yard shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.