6.5 Creedmoor vs .270 Win vs .257 Weatherby

Hope pic works this time.

Attachments

• 20150429_153817.jpg
    20150429_153817.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 176
An active hunting guide I know in central Cal. uses only a 270 for everything in his domain. I was surprised at his comments about the 260 Rems people have used on hunts with him. He was not impressed, saying they don't seem to knock them down as consistently as a 270, 06, or 308. Don't flame on me, I'm just repeating what he said. And he probably takes 100+ head of medium game / year. (deer, boar, bear, antelope, elk) Its clear that the 6.5 bullets offer better long distance performance in terms of accuracy due to better BCs. I shoot a fair amount of 270, but I want a 6.5 Creed or 260 in a different form / function factor than my 270.

The 270 with 130 gr TSXs or TTSXs launched at 2900 have been very good to me, though I've only killed medium game out to 200 yards with them. However at that distance they seem to go through anything, including a wild pig's shoulder, and come out the other side with moderate expansion (exit hole the size of a quarter) and total devastation to any resistance encountered between entrance and exit. They've immediately knocked down anything I've hit with them.

Don't fret having to move to non-lead. I don't necessarily believe the "science" behind the lead ban and I don't like it that we have fewer choices to use for hunting, but I will say these lead free bullets seem to do the trick and you can develop very accurate loads with them. In fact, now I debate as to if I want to chance using a SGK, SST, SP or other softer bullet (in lead ok areas) because I know these Barnes just drill them. I have some Etips and GMX but haven't tried them out yet. I've heard that GMXs perform well on game too.

An active hunting guide I know in central Cal. uses only a 270 for everything in his domain. I was surprised at his comments about the 260 Rems people have used on hunts with him. He was not impressed, saying they don't seem to knock them down as consistently as a 270, 06, or 308. Don't flame on me, I'm just repeating what he said. And he probably takes 100+ head of medium game / year. (deer, boar, bear, antelope, elk) Its clear that the 6.5 bullets offer better long distance performance in terms of accuracy due to better BCs. I shoot a fair amount of 270, but I want a 6.5 Creed or 260 in a different form / function factor than my 270.

The 270 with 130 gr TSXs or TTSXs launched at 2900 have been very good to me, though I've only killed medium game out to 200 yards with them. However at that distance they seem to go through anything, including a wild pig's shoulder, and come out the other side with moderate expansion (exit hole the size of a quarter) and total devastation to any resistance encountered between entrance and exit. They've immediately knocked down anything I've hit with them.

Don't fret having to move to non-lead. I don't necessarily believe the "science" behind the lead ban and I don't like it that we have fewer choices to use for hunting, but I will say these lead free bullets seem to do the trick and you can develop very accurate loads with them. In fact, now I debate as to if I want to chance using a SGK, SST, SP or other softer bullet (in lead ok areas) because I know these Barnes just drill them. I have some Etips and GMX but haven't tried them out yet. I've heard that GMXs perform well on game too.

I know you are only repeating what the guide said but I do wonder why a 140 grain bullet with the diameter of .264 would be so different than a 140 grain bullet of .277 diameter ? I only know my Wife's 6.5x55 with a 140 partition kills so well, yes a different headstamp but about the same speed as a .260, ah well!

I know you are only repeating what the guide said but I do wonder why a 140 grain bullet with the diameter of .264 would be so different than a 140 grain bullet of .277 diameter ? I only know my Wife's 6.5x55 with a 140 partition kills so well, yes a different headstamp but about the same speed as a .260, ah well!

Right. As I said I was surprised to hear that comment too. I'm currently trying to figure out what kind of 6.5 I'll eventually build or buy. I really enjoy shooting the 243 and 270, and a 260 Rem would fit nicely in between with better BC bullets than either and more punch for hunting than the 243.

Right. As I said I was surprised to hear that comment too. I'm currently trying to figure out what kind of 6.5 I'll eventually build or buy. I really enjoy shooting the 243 and 270, and a 260 Rem would fit nicely in between with better BC bullets than either and more punch for hunting than the 243.
Just get it over with and go with the 264WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.