6.5-.300 weatherby vs 6.5stw

Accubond would be more suitable, I bet the SST would blow as well, I know they do at 3400 fps in my 270 WSM so I've never ran them though a 6.5. The 127 gr Barnes LRX may be a top contender, I like this sized Barnes on light game going fast!

What about the nosler partition and swift a-frame in 140gr. Or swift scirocco II in 130gr. Something accurate and flat and expanding good from 50yds-500yds. Im very interested i this now. Like i stated earlier more reading i do the more im wanting one of the 6.5-.300weatherby. Wife would flip but i can always ask for forgiveness

What about the accubond or sst in 130gr or 140gr.

Don't shoot the SST's... At high velocity they will explode and disentigrate on impact. Had it happen with my 7 Mag & factory loaded Hornady 139 SST's. Never shot them at deer again.

The regular white-tipped Nosler Accubonds and Berger VLD bullets work great on deer. I can vouch for both of those from personal experience.

We checked out the mcwhorter 6.5 wtby but he is wanting to base it off the .300weatherby case or the stw case. Bullet choice would be good nosler partition and accubond and sierra btsp in 140gr. He don't like berger due to meat lose.

Normally you'll have the least meat loss from the Berger but in this case the berger will be dust just of the end of the barrel even the target version will take a beating. The partition may not hold, I've seen them rupture and basically gutt at very high speed impact. I'd go Barnes, then accubond and scirocco.

We checked out the mcwhorter 6.5 wtby but he is wanting to base it off the .300weatherby case or the stw case. Bullet choice would be good nosler partition and accubond and sierra btsp in 140gr. He don't like berger due to meat lose.

I killed 2 deer this year with 7mm Berger 168 VLD's, both 120-125 yards, and lost virtually no meat. You gotta know where to hit them with Bergers to conserve meat...Like NOT shooting them in the middle of the shoulder. You'll toast both of those shoulder roasts. Shoot them in the low-forward shoulder about 6" above the brisket, and 6" from where the neck starts, and it will expell all it's energy right into the pump-house, or right behind the shoulder for a double-lung shot, and not in the shoulder at all. Then you'll save every bit of meat, but you'll probably have to track it for 20-30 yards.

If he wants a big 6.5, go with the 6.5 STW and shoot the regular Nosler Accubonds...That's what I'd go for if I was looking for what you have described he wants.

What about the nosler partition and swift a-frame in 140gr. Or swift scirocco II in 130gr. Something accurate and flat and expanding good from 50yds-500yds. Im very interested i this now. Like i stated earlier more reading i do the more im wanting one of the 6.5-.300weatherby. Wife would flip but i can always ask for forgiveness
They are bullets designed for shorter range and punching through very tough critters. Neither are a bullet with the BC to be great long range rounds and if you don't hit bone with them there's a good chance they'll punch straight through doing very little damage.

Normally you'll have the least meat loss from the Berger but in this case the berger will be dust just of the end of the barrel even the target version will take a beating. The partition may not hold, I've seen them rupture and basically gutt at very high speed impact. I'd go Barnes, then accubond and scirocco.
I got soured on Barnes many years ago and perhaps I'm unfair in not giving them another try.

I'd go with the Hornady Interbond, Accubond, or Scirocco II. Up close i've had Scirocco's do some weird things like flatten out the size of a fifty cent piece but they penetrated well and did amazing damage in the chest cavity. I had the same thing happen with both 180gr being shot from the Rum and 130's from the 260. The Rum shot was only about 350.00 and the 260 Shot was at about a hundred.

Both were dirt dead though.

I have shot bucket loads of Accubonds and Especially Interbonds at both game and coyotes and have never had one fail to do exactly what they are designed to do with the exception of literally cutting coyotes in half if you hit them center mass at the last rib at sub 300yds with the STW. Not exactly a hide hunters choice of caliber and bullet HA!

Yah, I had the same results at about 350 with the 300wm and 165gr SST on a doe. She never twitched but I probably wasted 10lbs of meat.
Yeah, the one I shot that it happened on, died, and we found it, but it ran for 1/2 a **** mile... At that point all SST's went stuffed into the range bag, and I went looking for something new to dial in before the next weekend. Just happened to be the 160 Barnes Triple-Shocks. Never had one run much from those. Also had one get whipped so hard she flopped over on her opposite side in the air and landed legs facing away from me.

Sometimes you hit them perfect...Sometimes they run. It's just the nature of the game. Just like that first deer I shot this year with the Bergers...Perfect shot right through the heart and both lungs (quartering away about 30 degrees from me)...Ran about 30 yards. Second deer I shot, flopped and never took a step. Can't ask for much more from your bullets and gun, as long as you do your part on shot placement.

Yeah, the one I shot that it happened on, died, and we found it, but it ran for 1/2 a **** mile... At that point all SST's went stuffed into the range bag, and I went looking for something new to dial in before the next weekend. Just happened to be the 160 Barnes Triple-Shocks. Never had one run much from those. Also had one get whipped so hard she flopped over on her opposite side in the air and landed legs facing away from me.

Sometimes you hit them perfect...Sometimes they run. It's just the nature of the game. Just like that first deer I shot this year with the Bergers...Perfect shot right through the heart and both lungs (quartering away about 30 degrees from me)...Ran about 30 yards. Second deer I shot, flopped and never took a step. Can't ask for much more from your bullets and gun, as long as you do your part on shot placement.
Yep, it really doesn't matter what the bullet does expansion wise as long as you put it in the right spot and it has a hole on both sides! They'll be dead!!!

Trouble is, we all too often need a little extra help in the form of proper expansion.

I did a thread, or added to a thread the results of the SST on the doe I shot. Punched it right through both shoulders, destroyed everything in between, had an exit wound bigger than my fist and about half her lungs and heart went through the same hole.

The trouble was the size of the hole and the amount of wasted meat due to blood shot. Even soaking it overnight in salt water much of it was still a waste for probably three inches in diameter around the margin of the exit wound.

Had she been 300yds or more further out I'm sure I'd have been tickled pink with the performance but up close at magnum velocities in the sub 350yds range it's just not for me.

The 130 Accubond is a great bullet for deer which is all I have shot with it. I shoot a 27 3/4" barrel 264 Win mag with Retumbo I get 3350 fps and super accuracy. I have shot around 15 deer with this combo from 60 yards out to a little over 400 and all have been through and through with most through both shoulders. Only one bullet did not exit. It was from a buck at 111 yards that was almost facing me. I placed the bullet on the edge of it's left shoulder and it fell on it's butt and went over dead. I found the bullet in the right ham when cutting up the meat. It was a perfect text book mushroom and weights was 87 grs. That bullet had to still be going around 3200 on impact. Most deer have dropped in their tracks. Never had one go over three jumps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.