6.5 - 2900 ft/s most efficiently?

Honestly there's only a little difference in what you have now, your 6.5 CM by 100 yards further. That said I'm not here to talk you out of what you're after and I've had/have 260, .264 WM; 6.5x47, 6.5-300WSM. Personally FF a 260 to AI just eats your barrel life and a 6.5 SAUM 4s/6.5-300WSM will get you there without fire forming brass and blowing it out. I just buy 270 WSM brass and size it down in a 6.5-300WSM F/L die and go shooting. 3050 fps is easy with Retumbo and 140-142's and brass will last forever until the barrel goes south.

The 6.5/284 Norma is a clear winner and great brass available from Lapua, and a super performer. Plus lots of load data from everyone on the Planet!

For me I use my 6.5x47 at PRS Events, and hunt with my 6.5-300WSM. Either could be used for hunting, the weight of these rifle are vastly different though! A stiff heavy barrel suppressed vs a plain bare barrel in a 9.5 lbs rifle meant for steep mountain hunting.

Build for purpose and you'll get what you want in the package designed to fit the job. Oh, I still think a 6.5x284 chambers easier and will hold one more round then a 6.5WSM/6.5 GAP/SAUM, which for that reason makes it better suited for hunting.

I've been shooting a 6.5-06 AI with a 24" barrel for about 7 years. The round is super forgiving and incredibly accurate no matter what I put through it. I get great results from any powder - RL 17 thru RL 26, H1000, Retumbo etc. My favorite load is 143 ELDX with RL 26. There are two accuracy nodes for me with this powder, one at 2975 fps and one at 3175 fps. Both nodes I get sub 1/2 MOA. The worst accuracy I ever get is around 1 MOA. Max load for mine pushes upper 3200. At 2950 the recoil is less than moderate. Brass is easy - fireformed 25-06 and go, or with a little extra work, neck down, form, and turn some Lapua 30-06.

To OP: I don't understand, you want to kill athel animal yet you don't have a courage to withstand millisecond of pain? Get closer or don't hunt!!!!
I do get close. My bull elk shot last year was within a hundred yards. My furthest elk taken was at about 200 yards. I also bow hunt. Arrowed my muley buck at 15 yards. I dont see myself ever taking a shot over 300 yards (rifle of course). I understand the capabilities of my rifle and hunt within those confines. I'm now looking for a rifle I can hunt with within it's limitations, buy also get more into long range target shooting. Don't be too quick to judge, please.

Here's my $.02 on the topic. I have a .260 Rem and a 6.5-284. I run my .260 at 2840 FPS with 140 Berger Hybrid VLDs in a 24" barrel. I get exactly 100 FPS more out of my 6.5-284 in the same barrel length. Having said that, I pretty much always reach for my good 'ole .260 Rem. Less powder, more carrel life, target and critter don't know the difference. Tons of components including premium brass, etc. You can buy all the latest glam cartridge, but the good 'ole 260 Rem kills it with efficiency and accuracy.

What 6.5 cartridge will comfortabily shoot, with multiple powders (not just RL 26 because that is hard to find these days), a 140-143 gr bullet, from a 24 inch barrel, at 2900 to 3000 ft/sec the most efficiently...meaning the least amount of powder (least amount of recoil)? And preferrably without having to run super hot loads the whole time. Maybe a quickload question?

I'm going to build a 6.5 rifle and the 2900 ft/sec mark is what I want to achieve in a 24 inch barrel, and want to use the least amount of powder to get there.

Options I'm currently looking at are 6.5-284, 260ai (maybe stretching it with just a 24 inch barrel), 6.5-06, etc. I don't care to go over 3000ft/ sec so options like 264 win mag are probably out.
I'm getting over 3000 with a 130 gr. Scirocco our if a 6.5-284. Using H4831 SC and Imr4831.

What 6.5 cartridge will comfortabily shoot, with multiple powders (not just RL 26 because that is hard to find these days), a 140-143 gr bullet, from a 24 inch barrel, at 2900 to 3000 ft/sec the most efficiently...meaning the least amount of powder (least amount of recoil)? And preferrably without having to run super hot loads the whole time. Maybe a quickload question?

I'm going to build a 6.5 rifle and the 2900 ft/sec mark is what I want to achieve in a 24 inch barrel, and want to use the least amount of powder to get there.

Options I'm currently looking at are 6.5-284, 260ai (maybe stretching it with just a 24 inch barrel), 6.5-06, etc. I don't care to go over 3000ft/ sec so options like 264 win mag are probably out.

Ok I'm gonna be the dick here after reading his question and then multiple replies of peoples personal agenda on a caliber.

I've got a few different 6.5's so I can only speak on the one that will do your 3 grand in speed and that I have had success with MULTIPLE POWDERS (that was the question)

The 6.5-284 has done just that, I have used 3 different powders with heavier bullets, I've also now stretched out to a 1000 yards successfully.

I can't speak on the 6.5-06 since I don't have one to try multiple powders on. I can tell you the 6.5-284 acts a little differently than most other rounds I reload in the fact it wants to shoot full powder loads, most other rounds like to slow down a bit but not this one. Maybe the barrel maybe my OAL length or what ever but this thing likes to run.

I saw lots of posts for wildcats/off the cuff 6.5's, I can tell you I would avoid any WSM type of cases after so many other WSM's being scrapped and people are charging mint for brass. I have a 243 WSM that flies but the **** brass is a pain. This is my one and only WSM type of round!!!

Hopefully I have simplified it with answers to your exact question???

143 gr ELD-X 51gr RL22 in 6.5 Remington Magnum & 6.5 PRC w/ 26" barrels will give 2905 to 2950 fps. depending on altitude and temp.

I apologize if I have offended you in anyway! As I understand LRH i.e. hunting is to kill animal as fast as possible because of two things: first is ethics and second, meat flavor is much better. Therefore my trusty .270 on roe deer up to 400m and 7rem mag long barrel over that distance. For Red deer and scrofa scrofa, 8x68s is my favorite which kicks like a mule and I am willing to sacrifice my shoulder for reasons I mentioned above.

I have 2 6.5-284 built and no problem making 2900+ with R22/R26/R23 and a 140gr Bullet
I also have a 6.5PRC 24" barrel and it shoots the Hornady factory ammo exactly at advertised velocities
2910-147gr ELD-M
2960-143gr ELD-X

I will say it nice to have lots of factory options with loaded ammo for the 6.5-284 and just about every brass maker on board,
I just received an email from Bertram Brass and 6.5PRC brass will be available by the end of Nov all going well.
There's many cartridge choices to achieve your velocity goals besides the two I mentioned.
I'm building another 6.5 PRC as we speak on a SS Sako A7 7mm Rem Mag donor rifle
26" Hawk Hill #3 contour 1-8 barrel
Total cost with labour to true&square action, adjust trigger chamber and install barrel and bead blast finish will be 1700.00 cdn.

The 6.5 Creed, 260 & 260 AI, 264 WM, 6.5 WSM/RSAUM and 6.5-284 will all fit this request. Just depends on what your preference is.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.