Want to shoot 7mm Berger 180gr @ 2900 fps

MontanaMarine

I've got a Rem 700VS .308 that I'm going to rebarrel. I do not want a barrel over 27".

The Berger 180 gr bullet, or 168 have great BCs, and would be the projo of choice for this project.

Will a .284Win, 7mmSAUM, or 7mmWSM make 2900 with the Berger 180gr?

My preference would be .284Win, but that is probably optimistic.

I'm thinking of a long range play toy/varmint rifle, around 15 pounds. Leupold Mark 4 16X glass.

Thanks in advance. MM

your only real choice for that kind of velocity with only a 27" tube would be the 7wsm and i think 2900 fps could be attained with a 180g bullet,with the 168g getting over 2900 fps should not be much of a problem.in my experience and by evaluating published velocities the short mags just dont seem to push the heavy bullets as easily as their long belted cousins,my 2-dave

MontanaMarine,Have experimented with 8 wildcats for the 162 to 180gn 7mm bullets.Tried 7mm rem mag AI& then shortened it buy 100 thou,then 250 thou then 500 thou,as well as a7mm/6.5 rem mag imp and a 7/300 wsm and then a very slightly improved 284w.I am going now to a 280 AI with RWS brass very shortly.Good brass is the key and the cartridges you mentioned suffer in this area.Cut a long story short the cartridge with the lightest charge that you can pull the trigger on 5 times at least and still be able to use the brass as well as get your magic 2900 fps is the 280 AI(use the RWS stuff).This round forms easily and if you do the right things before you pull the trigger the first time the case should be competition ready at the second firing.We make our own reamers so it's easy to experiment,i have had a drawing of a cartridge i did about 3 years ago that i will test at the same time as the 280AI in a different rifle,it's based on a 9.3x 64 necked to 7mm(.309dia),shortened to 60 mm with a 35 deg shoulder.I don't think there will be much between the 2 except a lot of work..Jr..Jeff Rogers

Short action is right. I realize with those long Berger bullets it would be a defacto single-shot. No biggie. Just trying to decide on a cartridge for now. I've pretty much settled on a 7mm for the high BC bullets, and low to moderate recoil.

MM

6BR,I am afraid it won't matter what case he uses in a short action if ejecting a live round is a consideration.I have had short actions with a 300 ack chambered and you can't get the brass itself out with the std opening ,it has to come out the back.Even with the shortest(7mmWSM)with the 180 Berger placed in the right spot will be .250 to long and a magazine is out of the question..JR

sounds like a real pain in the butt ejecting rounds out of the back,and in the wsm he would have to have some work done anyways to get cases to feed out of a magazine,i personally shoot everything single which is not a big deal,but taking the bolt out -or almost out everytime to eject just doesnt seem worth it.i do agree that the 280ai would be a good choice though,but with the short action just doesnt seem like much fun-lol-my 2-Dave

MM. I'd opt for the 7mmRSAUM or the7mmWSM, I don't believe the 180 can be pushed to 2900fps., but with a VLD bullet you don't need alot of velocity because of the high BC, 2800 is about the max I see from my info from either of these cartridges, that'll get the job done just as well as 100fps more, Jay

MM

contact Dave Tooley at Tooley Custom rifles. He has been building BR quality 1k guns in 7mm on the 404 jeffries case both regular and shortened versions. He is good fried of Steve Shelp one of the moderators here. Also you are going to have to go to 9 twist. Carteruccio makes some very good 7mm bullets also and JLK.

BH

The 7 wsm is the way to go. Mine are in long actions and I can get 3000 FPS with Moly 180 bergers and 70.0 grains of retumbo. you can also use IMR 5010 at 2850-2900 FPS depending on tempture. my guns have 28.5 inch barrels.Getting 2900 Fps is nothing in the wsm you can use your brass ten times over with those kind of loads.

neck up 6.5/68 or neck down 8x68 S ( RWS brass ) can be another solution ; BooBoo wilcat are base on 8x68S case with Imp design

good shooting

DAN TEC

Reed.I gather you 7mmWSM is that ,not a 7/300WSM.If so how is the performance,do you shoot in competition or is it for hunting only.Interested in your 3000fps,180 berger combo..JR

JR--

I have a 2506 rem SS that i had thought about rebarreling 280ack 9 twist so i had the potential to launch the big VLDs--it wont happen for awhile, but where would i get the RWS 280 brass--or are you necking down 30-06 brass??

JB

jb,I have no conection for RWS in the US ,i have one i got from a Ted over your way to get it direct from Germany but i have'nt tried to import any yet ,i have an email contact if it's any good to you.I would use the 280 rather than making a 7mmm06 AI,gives you a bit of a buffer in the pressure area.Don't discount the 162/168 bullets as i have found that they group better so far and are usually 100 to 150 fps faster.I have a 9.5 twist which will allow me to run the lot.I am presently making the different bits and pieces neccessary to make my own 170 grainers except for the carbide point up die which i will get from Niemi over your way..JR

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.