.30-06 and hammer bullets

I want to try some hammer bullets this year in my .30-06 for an elk hunt. Which weight would you recommend? Shots will be within 100-300 yards, mostly likely closer to 100 yards.

Would the sledgehammer line be better for shorter range?

If you are shooting inside 300 yds with your 30-06, I would recommend you stay with any 165 grain bullet. Almost any .30 caliber rifle with a 1:10 twist should shoot them very well. I say this because I want accuracy over bullet weight. Make the shot count and you don't need anything over 165 grain. I took my last elk @272 yds with my hand load 165 grain Sierra Game King BT bullets. DRT.

You can't go wrong with hammer bullets what ever weight you choose. From my limited experience they have been exceptional in accuracy and killing power. I like velocity as I feel it adds an extra element of shock power and flatter shooting. So I would go with the 152 hammer hunter. The lighter HH bullet has the same frontal impact as the heavier bullets and being lighter can be driven faster. Also the hammer hunters have less bearing surface so normally allows them to be driven faster than a conventional bullet of the same weight. Being that hammer bullets are copper in nature they are lighter than a conventional bullet so a 152 gn hammer would (and I'm guesstimating here) be about the size of a 168 gn conventional bullet.

Decided to take the plunge for the 'ole '06, and ordered some 166 gr. Hammer Hunters. I was loading with Berger 168 CH but always worried about not having enough penetration for elk. Ha, ha, with the seasons I've been having, it won't be an issue!

With the hammer hunters, penetration is a non-issue. All you have to worry with now is the zillion other things that can go wrong with an elk hunt. Ha, Ha. Trust me, I've been there but still love Elk hunting.