Hammer bullets

My buddy shot and killed a nice buck that already had another hunter's tag attached to its antler. It also had a wound across the top of its back.

Some bucks come pre-tagged!
I have heard of people losing their rifles stuck in the horns, while taking pictures of the animal. They never found either item. I guess they never learn the old pock in the eye trick.

I can never say enough good things about Hammer bullets! They are literally a life saver!

A couple months ago, while on safari in a VA beanfield, my hunting partner was caught dead to rights! Frozen in his tracks by the bloodthirsty stare of a rabid beast! Fearing for my friend, as well as the rest of our hunting party (me), I sprang into action from a couple hundred yards out and engaged the snarling wretch with a single shot from my lethal, if not somewhat girly, .22 Creedmoor loaded with unstoppable HH 80gr HHTs!

Although shaken, my friend thanked me and vowed to always be prepared for every situation with the powerful "beast stopping" Hammer projectiles!

View attachment 487249
Only a hammer would allow CM to perform so majestically. Lucky for your hunting partner that's what you had prepared.

I have heard of people losing their rifles stuck in the horns, while taking pictures of the animal. They never found either item. I guess they never learn the old pock in the eye trick.
Friend and myself were hunting a military base about twenty five or more years ago. We had patterned a good bucks travel route through a mountain saddle. But it was wide and he would come in the opposite side that you hunted like he had radar. So we both managed to get permits for the area. Bow hunting only. Well, I got lucky and he came past my side. Cutting to the chase, I hit him hard and saw blood as he ran off. Buddy heard the commotion and came over as I was getting my stuff together. Blood trail was easy to follow. Nick, my friend was ahead of me and walked up on the nice 9 point. Turned around to shake my hand and the buck jumped up and ran off. I was able to see where it piled up again, but it had its head up. Put another arrow in it, done for good this time. Told Nick that if he ever walked up on another one just shoot it again. I'd hit it in the shoulder joint and the arrow reflected down and across the chest. Baseball sized hole in its chest, but no lung damage. Just artery blood. Their never dead until you have them gutted!

Friend and myself were hunting a military base about twenty five or more years ago. We had patterned a good bucks travel route through a mountain saddle. But it was wide and he would come in the opposite side that you hunted like he had radar. So we both managed to get permits for the area. Bow hunting only. Well, I got lucky and he came past my side. Cutting to the chase, I hit him hard and saw blood as he ran off. Buddy heard the commotion and came over as I was getting my stuff together. Blood trail was easy to follow. Nick, my friend was ahead of me and walked up on the nice 9 point. Turned around to shake my hand and the buck jumped up and ran off. I was able to see where it piled up again, but it had its head up. Put another arrow in it, done for good this time. Told Nick that if he ever walked up on another one just shoot it again. I'd hit it in the shoulder joint and the arrow reflected down and across the chest. Baseball sized hole in its chest, but no lung damage. Just artery blood. Their never dead until you have them gutted!
You were lucky that you recovered him. I've seen deer go on for miles. I have track then that far. I learn to wait after shooting with a bow for about 30 minutes before going after them. I've lucky with my bow, but my rifle I losted one. Got a little far back. He dropped like a rock, and I didn't take the time to watch him to see if he stayed down. Hard lesson! I don't like losing animals, No matter who shot the animal.

IMG-0889.jpg

Charley Russell said it isn't meat until its in the pan. Best explanation I've seen.

You were lucky that you recovered him. I've seen deer go on for miles. I have track then that far. I learn to wait after shooting with a bow for about 30 minutes before going after them. I've lucky with my bow, but my rifle I losted one. Got a little far back. He dropped like a rock, and I didn't take the time to watch him to see if he stayed down. Hard lesson! I don't like losing animals, No matter who shot the animal.
I did that last year. I've never had a problem before this, but shot a nice 3point (3x3 with eye guards) in the neck at 90 yards with a 243 shooting 100gr interlocks. Easy chip shot, good placement (I felt). He dropped, got up and ran 80 yards, dropped and started kicking. I thought it was done for so I moved to the side a bit for a better view to watch from. He chose that moment to bail, and where he'd fallen there wasn't a drop of blood.

3 hours later I luckily found him eating madrone leaves with a dang hole in his neck, trickling blood. So at 30 yards I center punched his shoulder just to ensure it was quick and effective. He hunched, kicked, and disappeared behind a log. I sat for 15 minutes to give him time. Never found him, or blood. Searched for a day and a half until season ended, and never found him. I am sure he died in the brush, probably close by where he was shot, but I'll never know exactly what happened. I hated it.

Now I'm a bit more particular about shot placement and bullet use. And I know 243 is a deer killing son of a gun, but… I've been sticking with my .06 that's killed the rest of my deer.

I did that last year. I've never had a problem before this, but shot a nice 3point (3x3 with eye guards) in the neck at 90 yards with a 243 shooting 100gr interlocks. Easy chip shot, good placement (I felt). He dropped, got up and ran 80 yards, dropped and started kicking. I thought it was done for so I moved to the side a bit for a better view to watch from. He chose that moment to bail, and where he'd fallen there wasn't a drop of blood.

3 hours later I luckily found him eating madrone leaves with a dang hole in his neck, trickling blood. So at 30 yards I center punched his shoulder just to ensure it was quick and effective. He hunched, kicked, and disappeared behind a log. I sat for 15 minutes to give him time. Never found him, or blood. Searched for a day and a half until season ended, and never found him. I am sure he died in the brush, probably close by where he was shot, but I'll never know exactly what happened. I hated it.

Now I'm a bit more particular about shot placement and bullet use. And I know 243 is a deer killing son of a gun, but… I've been sticking with my .06 that's killed the rest of my deer.
I try and use the creast on the front shoudler as my line to shoot at. I do know where the heart sets at in most animals. So no matter what angle is given to me. figure where to placed that shot.
One time while hunting in Nev. A friend shot a buck in the heart. I was behind them. My brother was with him at that time. I told them that the 2nd shot had tie in. Anyway the deer was running by me. so I put a shot in to stop the deer. We were in an aspen grove. So swung on the deer and tried to figure out how to place that shot. Touch the rifle off. Down the deer went. Thinking to myselve, "**** I am getting good with this rifle.
Well only one shot was in that animal in the heart. It wasn't mind. The 2nd shot had done it job of the first 2 shots. A Heart hit, with a 7mm Rem Mag. I have expearance this a lot with my shooting of deer. Running about 100yds before going down. Sometime not much blood either. Bullets had gone thru both sides. 2 Elk I shots their hearts split in to. Both drop like a rocks.

I try and use the creast on the front shoudler as my line to shoot at. I do know where the heart sets at in most animals. So no matter what angle is given to me. figure where to placed that shot.
One time while hunting in Nev. A friend shot a buck in the heart. I was behind them. My brother was with him at that time. I told them that the 2nd shot had tie in. Anyway the deer was running by me. so I put a shot in to stop the deer. We were in an aspen grove. So swung on the deer and tried to figure out how to place that shot. Touch the rifle off. Down the deer went. Thinking to myselve, "**** I am getting good with this rifle.
Well only one shot was in that animal in the heart. It wasn't mind. The 2nd shot had done it job of the first 2 shots. A Heart hit, with a 7mm Rem Mag. I have expearance this a lot with my shooting of deer. Running about 100yds before going down. Sometime not much blood either. Bullets had gone thru both sides. 2 Elk I shots their hearts split in to. Both drop like a rocks.
That's always been my tactic. I have historically shot for heart, regardless of whether there was a shoulder in the way or not. My brother finally convinced me that neck shots are just as reliable, and waste less meat, so I went for it. I have since come back to happily trimming some bloodshot out of a shoulder of a dead deer, vs potentially losing it.

That's always been my tactic. I have historically shot for heart, regardless of whether there was a shoulder in the way or not. My brother finally convinced me that neck shots are just as reliable, and waste less meat, so I went for it. I have since come back to happily trimming some bloodshot out of a shoulder of a dead deer, vs potentially losing it.
Some peple swear by neck shots. I have used it only once or twice. That was the only shot I had. Neck fairly small area too. Bigger possibilities of missing or not getting the shot place correctly. With that behind the shoulder shot you have a wider or taller area to do great damage to the animal. Me too on the blood shot area.

Some peple swear by neck shots. I have used it only once or twice. That was the only shot I had. Neck fairly small area too. Bigger possibilities of missing or not getting the shot place correctly. With that behind the shoulder shot you have a wider or taller area to do great damage to the animal. Me too on the blood shot area.
Agreed. It's small window with small margin for error.

Gday mike & others you may also find this useful as a quick reference & a really good reference that I use myself & on teaching kids & covers most of the angles we shoot @

Now if @ all possible just look for the far leg as it gives you a idea of the angle the critter is on as on occasions a animal will be quartered more or less than we imagine/believe & then it's just put your cross hairs level with it vertically & centre of critter & squeeze off

It's extremely quick for reference & works on basically all critters ( a few exceptions & a few I don't know about )

Hope that makes sense
Cheers