Hammer bullets

I think you are correct. I am trying to do neck shots. Deer won't recover even if the bullets goes right through.
I shot a doe time with my 45-70. She dropped like a hammer. The shot was off hand a about 125 yards. I started walking up to her only to notice she started moving. I ran up to her and noticed no blood or bullet wound. Much to my surprise I, l had only grazed her neck and left a racing strip on her neck. The bullet from the 45-70 had just knocked her out. I quickly dispatched her with my trusty pocket knife

So I got a question for you guys as I had something interesting happen today while shooting.

View attachment 151170

That is some kind of smoke trail coming off of the bullet which is something I've never seen before. It started a few yards down range and went all the way to the target as far as I could tell. Bullet was the 124 Hunter at 3200 fps in a 7 twist barrel.

Anyone else have this happen before?
Due to fast twist and velocity wonder if the outer part of the bullet got superheated. Could have ignited and case lube residue. Interesting!

Has anyone shot game with the 260 grain 338 hammer hunter. I have found a very accurate load, but haven't had a shot on game yet.
I've shot deer and elk with the 236 grain .338 Hammer with great results. The only thing I'd expect the 260 to have over the 236 is a larger shank left over after the petals come off. Maybe more penetration with that. Not really gonna be needed considering I had one go almost end to end on a large cow.

I've shot deer and elk with the 236 grain .338 Hammer with great results. The only thing I'd expect the 260 to have over the 236 is a larger shank left over after the petals come off. Maybe more penetration with that. Not really gonna be needed considering I had one go almost end to end on a large cow.
88.5 grains of retumbo in my edge with the 260 338 will shot 3 shots at 100 with less than 1/4 MOA. Going to try them on whitetail in SC soon and at extended range on muleys in Nebraska in November.

There is always a bit of cutting oil in the nose. We clear them with compressed air. We also do not wash the bullets. They get wiped off with micro fiber then boxed. We have used a few different cutting oils and some of the show more than others. Seems like the thicker oils show it more.

We have taken several big game animals with the 260g Hammer Hunters. Very good performing bullet. There was recently a thread about a young lady that took a cow at 1410y with that bullet. I shot all of my animals in Africa with that bullet and nothing took a step. Shoulder shots with very little meat damage.

The 260g HH compared to the 226g HH will open easier at low vel due to the more slender nose and higher sectional density.

There is always a bit of cutting oil in the nose. We clear them with compressed air. We also do not wash the bullets. They get wiped off with micro fiber then boxed. We have used a few different cutting oils and some of the show more than others. Seems like the thicker oils show it more.

We have taken several big game animals with the 260g Hammer Hunters. Very good performing bullet. There was recently a thread about a young lady that took a cow at 1410y with that bullet. I shot all of my animals in Africa with that bullet and nothing took a step. Shoulder shots with very little meat damage.

The 260g HH compared to the 226g HH will open easier at low vel due to the more slender nose and higher sectional density.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.