.30-06 and hammer bullets

The First I've seen these! -- Do you hunt in a lead-free area? :D
https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-166g-hammer-hunter/

30166HH-510x340.jpg

ALL ALCO .308 BULLETS - GOOD SELECTION - ALUMINUM TIP -- STEEL TIP
https://www.alcobullets.com/30-Caliber-308_c_13.html

The ULD bullet was developed during the Viet Nam era for both long range military sniper operations and later, applied to experimental bullets for Secret Service assignments. Some of the characteristics of the ULD or Ultra Low Drag design were also incorporated in a similar but later development called the VLD or very low drag design. Both designs are equivalent for all practical purposes, except that the full ULD specification includes a rebated boattail design instead of the standard boattail (for about 15% gain in a accuracy by reducing muzzle-blast induced dispersion: the RBT step deflects most of the muzzle blast gas in a ring whereas the conventional BT tends to focus it into a ball in front of the emerging bullet, adding about 15% to the disperson or random buffeting of the projectile.)

Ultra Low Drag or ULD bullets use both a rebated boattail and a 14-caliber secant with a .014-inch offset from tangent, to achieve minimum air resistance for a given weight and caliber.

Using the aluminum tip gives you approximately 0.50 thousandths longer bullet and will shift the weight to the rear of bullet and adds to the BC. The steel tip is used for thick skin animals and any rough service apps, like removing bullet from rifle several times a day. Steel tip work well if you have to have a shorter OAL bullet because some barrel twist rates won't stabilize a longer bullet.

Alco Precision Bullets are made with the tightest tolerances in the industry. This ensures precision shooting for any target shooter, hunter or precision sportsman.

Each Ultra Match bullet is checked for base to Ogive, weight, concentricity on an ultra-sonic concentricity machine to insure gyroscopic stability, each bullet is pointed up by hand to insure consistent size.

Target Match bullets are made to same specs as Ultra Match and are checked during production, not each one.

Last edited:
Them are goofy looking!

They shoot about as good as they look! I've played with a couple different versions of those bullets in a 300 WSM and 7mm RUM. The best is when those steel/aluminum tips have so much slop that they just wiggle around in the hollow point cavity.

Instead of changing the actual bullet profile for different weights, they just lengthen the shank. I tested a 200gr 7mm that was supposed to "compete" with the 200gr Wildcat bullets and it just looked like piece of copper rod with an aluminum tip hot glued to the end! LOL

I did a lot of elk hunting with an '06 when I was younger. The vast majority of the elk I've killed over the years have been within 200 yards. I used 180 grain bullets to kill a couple dozen and that became my go-to bullet weight for that round. I used NP's but mostly the tougher cup and core... that's what we had 45 years ago. Point is they killed with authority, all the way to 500 yards. Would still weight I would use in the '06.

For elk hunting, I recommend 165 grain Noslor Partiction with 65 grains of IMR4350. My father and I have been using this load for over 30 years with fantastic results
65 in an 06 sounds way hot..... I'm loading a half gr. under max @ 56.5 maybe a typo ...
I agree great load and powder combo it hasn't failed me yet either since the 1970's for work under 300 yards no problems

Any difference is between Hammer bullets and Barnes bullets?

From another thread I posted;
What's your thoughts on Barnes ?
Have shot Barnes a long time as I'm in CA but my experiences are;
A) very hard copper, does not expand on soft tissue but somehow does damage to internals. Hard copper does crush bone and penetrate but it also has more engraving pressure resulting in lower velocity from higher pressure.
B) Very sensitive to seating length; this can be a make or break in your particular rifle.
C) The jump seating depth can spike pressure very sharply, I mean from no pressure to blowing a primer.
D) Their support/load data has been dead wrong in many cases.
With the 127 LRX 6.5 x .284 I had over 24 kills mostly pigs, then deer, and 3 elk. I never recovered a single bullet as all were pass thru, all the animals died from shot placement but none had a blood trail...none.
plenty of reloading and hunting experience with other calibers but all were finicky in load development.
The Hammers are exactly the opposite for load development meaning they are the easiest bullet I have ever done load work on.
Try some, they are guaranteed...how can you loose ?

i run the 168gr ttsx barnes in my 30-06, and have no problems hunting elk with it. id go with the 166 hammer. i found over the years the 165gr bullet to be a good middle ground, between velocity and mass.

From another thread I posted;
What's your thoughts on Barnes ?
Have shot Barnes a long time as I'm in CA but my experiences are;
A) very hard copper, does not expand on soft tissue but somehow does damage to internals. Hard copper does crush bone and penetrate but it also has more engraving pressure resulting in lower velocity from higher pressure.
B) Very sensitive to seating length; this can be a make or break in your particular rifle.
C) The jump seating depth can spike pressure very sharply, I mean from no pressure to blowing a primer.
D) Their support/load data has been dead wrong in many cases.
With the 127 LRX 6.5 x .284 I had over 24 kills mostly pigs, then deer, and 3 elk. I never recovered a single bullet as all were pass thru, all the animals died from shot placement but none had a blood trail...none.
plenty of reloading and hunting experience with other calibers but all were finicky in load development.
The Hammers are exactly the opposite for load development meaning they are the easiest bullet I have ever done load work on.
Try some, they are guaranteed...how can you loose ?
disagree call and talk to ty at barnes, he can give you advise on their bullets. as to pressure that's why they came out with the triple shock, and others have followed suite.as with any gun you should play with seating depth, to fine tune the load. turned a 338 lapua into a sub moa gun out to a 1000 for my client, just by changing the seating depth.

as with any gun you should play with seating depth, to fine tune the load. turned a 338 lapua into a sub moa gun out to a 1000 for my client, just by changing the seating depth.
Makes sense, but isn't that reloading 101.
The thing with Hammer bullets is that I've never had to mess with seating depth. I load Hammers for 6 rifles and they are by far the easiest bullets I've found to get a load for. Pick the powder and primer you want to use, load to fit mag and find my charge. It's been really that simple. Last time I worked up a load I fired 5 different powder charges into the same group at 100 and they were well under an inch, shot the charge I wanted into another group and printed .5", then shot it at 500 and went 1/2 moa. Done! Was this an anomaly? Nope, it's been basically that easy for all. Plus the terminal performance has been great. Can you say the same thing about Barnes bullets? I cannot, I have rifles that hate them and I quit using them after two what appeared to be pencil through incidents.
Are Hammers perfect, no but we may never see the the perfect bullet. They are not cheap and usually come up a little short on BC as compared to some others. But if my new 411 grain bullets work out to be in the .9 G1 BC range then I'll take that part back.:D

disagree call and talk to ty at barnes, he can give you advise on their bullets. as to pressure that's why they came out with the triple shock, and others have followed suite.as with any gun you should play with seating depth, to fine tune the load. turned a 338 lapua into a sub moa gun out to a 1000 for my client, just by changing the seating depth.
Read their load data from over the last decade, it has been dead wrong in many cases. I have shot their bullets for many years and the Hammers are faster per weight, MUCH easier to load for, not sensitive to seating depth, and a better performing bullet in my opinion, that is why I switched to them.