.30-06 and hammer bullets

shooterpunk2

I want to try some hammer bullets this year in my .30-06 for an elk hunt. Which weight would you recommend? Shots will be within 100-300 yards, mostly likely closer to 100 yards.

Would the sledgehammer line be better for shorter range?

I like the Sledge Hammers for what you describe, especially if choosing between the 180's. Dependent on your magazine length, the 160's, and 174 Hammer Hunter should work well for you, assuming 1-10" twist.

Ya it's an older Remington 700 with 1-10 twist. I was kinda looking at the 199 sledgehammer. Just seems cool shooting a big bullet out of the .30-06 haha

....I was kinda looking at the 199 sledgehammer. Just seems cool shooting a big bullet out of the .30-06 haha.......

A good bullet. I started hunting with a .30-06 and 220 grain bullets, and have used a variety of 200 grain+ bullets since. Very effective within their limits. Probably better 200 yards and under, but could be used to 300.

Both the .30-40 Krag, and .30-06 originally came with 220 grain bullets.

I have them on the bench, but haven't made it to the range with them. I expect to get 2500-2600 fps without too much effort. Currently using a Ruger #1, so no magazine worries. Other bullets of comparable length are used regularly in .30-06 magazines. It's just a factor to be aware of going in.

Go for it if it's what you want.

For the ranges you are shooting ballistics hardly come in to play, inside 100 yards you could shoot the bullet backwards and not notice, as a matter of fact it is more stable flying backwards. In my GF's '06 I run a 130 grain at ~3,300 fps and it beats the heavier bullets in speed, energy, and is much flatter out to ~1,000 yards. You can probably get close to 3,100 fps with the 152 grain sledge hammer which will be a devastating round. Call Steve at Hammer and get his opinion or maybe he will chime in.

This cow was hit at 640 yards with a 143 Hammer Hunter at 3,620 fps from a 7mm RUM and just stood there pouring out blood
elk3.jpg
for 10 seconds then did a face plant. Hammers perform great and are easy to load for.

Last edited:
Just to muddy the water... There isn't really a wrong choice for what the op is going to use the rifle for. So if I were setting up a normal range, <400y 30-06, I would choose the 166g Sledge Hammer. You won't have any issues with case capacity, and vel will be high enough that you will be able to make 300y shots on deer size animals without changing your point of aim. With close to 3000 fps muzzle vel your terminal performance and energy will be very good. That shock from impact speed is under rated.

My .02

I shoot the 166 gr Hammer Hunter in my 30-06. Very accurate and it destroyed some West Texas hogs and a whitetail this past November with that bullet. I can't remember off the top of my head if I used IMR4350 or RL17.