.224 cartridge dilemma/discussion

I am having Tooter Meredith build me a new rifle as we speak. Debated the 22CM but went with a fast twist 22-250AI because of brass and I was already set up to reload it. My very first rifle I ever purchased on my own was a 250 and I have always had a variation of it in the safe. I love the 22-250. All my kids killed their first deer with one. The CM offers no advantage over the 22-250 AI FT except for factory ammo if the cartridge makes the cut. That is a beautiful rifle you got. If it is a range toy what advantage does carbon fiber add? Keep the 22-250AI and re-barrel the 220 swift to 220 AI FT with a 1/7-1/8 twist. I am build a switch barrel gun on a Terminus Zeus LA. I don't see any advantage weight wise to going with a custom action. The savings would be minimal. My other barrel for this project is a 280AI FT. Both barrels are 27" Kreiger's, M24 & Sendero Rem Varmint profiles. I fluted them to trim weight but weight wasn't what I was after. Going to use the 250 for varmints and 3x600 comps. The 280 will be for hunting from a blind and some tactical comps. Also having a 20" 308 barrel done so I can go practice with it when I am feeling to lazy to reload. 😂 Best of luck to you, this rabbit hole is deep!😁 Like you I am trying to consolidate my collection but for every one I sell I buy or build two. I think I need therapy or maybe just another build!😂

I love my Valkyrie in that gas gun configureation that I put together. 6.5twist really love the heavies. Once I get the jump I need, it should be in the .3 or better catagory. Low recoil, powder grains less than 30. Gottal ove that a pound of powder goes a long way

For many years I hunted with a 22-243AI, 8: twist. I used 243 Lapua cases and 75gr A-Max bullets. It was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned and shot a nice tight .625" group at 600yds. I shot over 1,000 accurate rounds before I set the barrel back and found that it shot just as good after the rechambering. It's hard to beat that. Brass should be easy to find.

I have the following rifles on hand currently in .224 caliber (other than ARs with 5.56/.223).

• Remington 700 VSSF clone in 220 Swift. I bought a takeoff factory barrel several years ago. I finally got around to buying an HS Precision Sendero stock direct from Remington before the bankruptcy and I bought a 700 stainless LA action. Had my gunsmith fit up/headspace the barrel; none of the factory barrel stamping are clocked correct but we wanted to see if it would shoot first. Well, with factory Hornady 50 grain Vmax ammo the thing shoots in the .3 range consistently! I don't Varmint hunt and it has a 14 twist barrel so options are limited there.
  • I also have a semi custom 22-250 AI with a R700 receiver that has been trued up, Bartlein Remington Varmint contour 5R 7 twist stainless barrel, McMillan hunter stock, Jewell trigger, Magpul DBM 🤦🏼‍♂️ & PTG 1 piece bolt. It shoots 90 grain Speer Gold Dots in the .3-.4 range. It's an awesome looking rifle with the stock and cerakote job that is on it. My main issue with it is I find myself wanting a custom action and carbon barrel. I absolutely would build it the same way but with the changes noted. I have plenty of fire formed Lapua brass as well as unformed brass, dies, etc.
So I find myself weighing pros and cons of each of the rifles I own and now the 22 Creedmoor is on the scene. I'm not sure it offers anything over the Swift or the 22-250 AI but it has to be considered I think.

I've been consistently moving away from factory rifles and semi custom rifles and thinning down to just the ones I want/need.

• So the 220 Swift is a nostalgia cartridge for me and it shoots exceptionally well. But it's handicapped by sub par brass (to me) and the 14 twist barrel is less than ideal for my needs. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself it needs to go. And I find myself wanting to rebarrel it and make in an AI as well; which is probably a fool's errand.
  • While I really like the looks of my 22-250AI, it's losing its luster in its current configuration to me.
  • Do I really want a Creedmoor? GAG.🤮
My heart tells me to sell both and build another 22-250AI with a fast twist barrel, properly throated for heavy Bergers and configured the way I would want it.

It's no secret I love me some improved cartridges.

Sorry for the late night rambling, just looking for additional thoughts.
220 Swift AI or the 22-243 Middlestead

I'm personally building a 220 Swift AI with a 8 inch twist. Nosler and Norma both still make brass for it. Although these brands aren't ADG with the case capacity of the Swift AI you don't need to run 70K and higher pressure for that performance.

Powders like Hodgens Super performance, Ramshot magnum, and RL 26( if it's ever in stock). The Swift AI is perfect case capacity for the heavy 22 caliber hot rod

Just my 2 cents

If it were me I would probably keep the 22-250AI. The 220 being a slow twist lite weight bullet rig would be the one I would change out to something else.
Now the what to change to part.
If I were to build something for Deer and Hogs I would go to something in a little larger caliber than what you are currently using. Looks like a chambering that is CAN Friendly would also be a consideration. How far you shoot, and how quiet you want it to be would be considerations.

Then we get to Range Shooting. Low Recoil and Great Accuracy are on the top of my list for a Range Tack Driver. Over the years the Two most accurate rifles I have owned have both been 222's. I would strongly consider a varmint weight 222 as a bench gun for the range.

You need to decide exactly what you are going to use your next build for, and then go from their.

My current build is a 22 Long Rifle Range Gun. Semi-Cheap to shoot, and I do not have to reload for it.

Bob R

I have the following rifles on hand currently in .224 caliber (other than ARs with 5.56/.223).

• Remington 700 VSSF clone in 220 Swift. I bought a takeoff factory barrel several years ago. I finally got around to buying an HS Precision Sendero stock direct from Remington before the bankruptcy and I bought a 700 stainless LA action. Had my gunsmith fit up/headspace the barrel; none of the factory barrel stamping are clocked correct but we wanted to see if it would shoot first. Well, with factory Hornady 50 grain Vmax ammo the thing shoots in the .3 range consistently! I don't Varmint hunt and it has a 14 twist barrel so options are limited there.
  • I also have a semi custom 22-250 AI with a R700 receiver that has been trued up, Bartlein Remington Varmint contour 5R 7 twist stainless barrel, McMillan hunter stock, Jewell trigger, Magpul DBM 🤦🏼‍♂️ & PTG 1 piece bolt. It shoots 90 grain Speer Gold Dots in the .3-.4 range. It's an awesome looking rifle with the stock and cerakote job that is on it. My main issue with it is I find myself wanting a custom action and carbon barrel. I absolutely would build it the same way but with the changes noted. I have plenty of fire formed Lapua brass as well as unformed brass, dies, etc.
So I find myself weighing pros and cons of each of the rifles I own and now the 22 Creedmoor is on the scene. I'm not sure it offers anything over the Swift or the 22-250 AI but it has to be considered I think.

I've been consistently moving away from factory rifles and semi custom rifles and thinning down to just the ones I want/need.

• So the 220 Swift is a nostalgia cartridge for me and it shoots exceptionally well. But it's handicapped by sub par brass (to me) and the 14 twist barrel is less than ideal for my needs. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself it needs to go. And I find myself wanting to rebarrel it and make in an AI as well; which is probably a fool's errand.
  • While I really like the looks of my 22-250AI, it's losing its luster in its current configuration to me.
  • Do I really want a Creedmoor? GAG.🤮
My heart tells me to sell both and build another 22-250AI with a fast twist barrel, properly throated for heavy Bergers and configured the way I would want it.

It's no secret I love me some improved cartridges.

Sorry for the late night rambling, just looking for additional thoughts.
Oh man you do whatever needs doing with your property but if it were mine the thought of parting with a super accurate .220 swift would be a real source of anxiety haha

It sounds like the only thing holding you to the .220 Swift rifle is how great it shoots within its limited load parameters. You could do a Remage conversion, but then you need another bolt to change bolt face dimensions. More money and you still have a Remmy receiver when it sounds like you want to upgrade.
Sounds like you are pretty attached to the .22-250AI.

I went through some of the same mental gymnastics. Bit the bullet and bought a Bighorn Origin short action. Remmy 700 footprint and trigger. Savage barrel thread with prefit shouldered barrels available. Interchangeable bolt faces. Checked off a lot of features on my list. I have plenty of old Savage barrels but am getting set up with mainly a Rock Creek fast twist .223, a Kreiger heavy .308, and a Proof carbon 6.5 CM
The only other guns I really reach for are my old .308 duty rifle and my Vudoo 22. (A Ruger 10/22 and a Tika T1X 22 sit by the door for farm and ranch varmints near and far, just tools)
I have a magnum bolt face sitting here also in case I ever want to get in touch with my inner ButterBean and max out the Labradar or some such.
I am happy enough with my choice, I bought another Origin in a long action for the future. My other rifles seem to be gathering dust. I am seriously considering thinning the herd and putting them up for adoption.

Just my life journey and my checklist. I like options that I can change by myself.

We had exceptional luck in the Swift with a tough bullet and cool burning powder:

44.0-44.5g of AA2700
Rem case
Rem 9 1/2
50g Sierra Spt
4000 fps shooting groups in the size of a pencil eraser
2700 is one of the coolest burning powders according to the Heat Index chart

When throats got long, we went to the 55g Sierra semi spt than later on the Sierra 63g, adjusted powder charges, of course.

All of these bullets kill extremely well