2017 Hunt Report and Meat Pole Contest - Win a $300 or $100 Gift Certificate

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Andy Backus, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dr. Bob Peterson

Dr. Bob Peterson New Member

After personally shooting more than 30 whitetail bucks, 7 animals in Africa, 5 animals in New Zealand, a Grand Slam of North American sheep, an ibex and Marco Polo sheep in Tajikistan, a brown bear in Alaska, a moose, a mountain caribou, a mountain goat, a black bear, 2 mule deer and an antelope, you wonder what the next hunting excitement could possibly be. The answer is to take your oldest grandson, age 12, hunting for the first time. He was shooting 87-grain .243 Hornady Custom Lite ammunition in a Browning XBolt Micro-Midas with a Nikon 2-10 scope. While sitting on my knee, he made a perfect 100-yard shot on his first buck. I don’t know who was more excited -- my grandson Thomas, my son Ben who sat next to us, or me the proud grandpa. I hope that the good Lord enables me to stay healthy so I can have the same experience with my other six grandchildren as they grow up over the next 10-plus years. The future of our sport which we love so much lies in our youth. Our goals are to mentor, nurture, and teach them to love the outdoors.

2. Dr. Bob Peterson

3. Dr. Bob Peterson

Sorry, but after multiple attempts all I get is that there is an error uploading the file.

Got it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  4. Timnterra

Timnterra Well-Known Member

That is because your picture is too large you will have to shrink it. If you email it to me I can post it for you.
    Timnterra@hotmail.com

5. skookum

skookum Well-Known Member

He's not my biggest but I was running short on time. This fella stepped out in to the wrong clear-cut following some does just before dark. One shot from my McMillan 300 WSM at 200 yards sent him in to a cartwheel down the hill. I am grateful for the meat he will provide for my family and I will forever remember him as the deer I harvested the year my baby girl was born who wasn't quite sure what to think of him right now. Hopefully the European mount I am doing with this buck to put in her room will make her want to go with me one day and so that I can pass on a family tradition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. MadCowRacer

MadCowRacer Member

Got this 8pt 15 minutes into the hunt this year, so not much of a story. Got up in my stand and I could just see across the field I hunt on. Pulled up my pack and got it clipped to the treestand. No sooner do I look up and see a couple does wandering across the field out on the treeline. Grab my binoculars and start glassing when I see about four more deer walk out of the woods. One is a buck. I check out his rack and think hmmmm maybe I'll pass since I had seen some real beasts the night before while driving around and glassing fields.

It's a good thing that I decided to wait at first because as I tried to range find him I found I was shaking like a leaf. I haven't had that kind of buck fever in several seasons.

Well my desire to put meat in the freezer and still have a decent buck got the better of me and I put one in him at 125 yards with my 20ga H&R ultra slug hunter with a 3" AccuTip.

The buck trotted through the tree line and walked about 70 yards before dropping. I waited about an hour to see if there was blood since I didn't want to go tromping around an hour into opening day. So after the longest hour ever I climbed down and went to where I saw him go through the trees. Just as I was getting to the opening, I look over and see a nice rack staring at me and I see a nice 9-pt that my brother eventually shot.

This was the biggest bodied deer I have shot yet with an absolutely massive neck.

[​IMG]

lancetkenyon likes this.
  7. Bucklowery

Bucklowery Well-Known Member

Awesome story and hunt. Sounds like mom stepped it up

Congratulations
    Buck

tulsaburnside likes this.
  8. operator1

operator1 Member

Very nice bull. Missed huinting this year due to torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Couldn't face the recoil from my Browning x bolt 300 win mag. Hope to get up and going for next year.

9. operator1

operator1 Member

10. operator1

operator1 Member

Epic year for you. Congrats you deserved it.

11. tfleck99

tfleck99 New Member

12. tfleck99

tfleck99 New Member

Hello Len & Andy...

I harvested this buck minutes before sunset @ 554 yards in western SD back in mid November.

13. Andy Backus

Andy Backus Field Editor Staff Member

Nice buck Terry! Way to go!

14. Andy Backus

Andy Backus Field Editor Staff Member

Congratulations to the two big winners from this year's Meat Pole Contest thread!

tulsaburnside was our choice for Best Post and he won a $100 gift certificate from the LRH Store. His post is on page 4 of this thread.

And chosen by random drawing, ATH was the lucky winner of a $300 gift certificate.

I am in Germany right now for a Zeiss product launch and hunt but when I return I will choose 10 winners by random drawing who will get a LRH hat, T-shirt and sticker.