2022 Meat Pole

Haven't squeezed the trigger on a deer since 2014. Done plenty of shootin and killed a few semi loads of hogs and other critters. And I've loaded ammo and helped my son kill several deer with a rifle. (12 years old now) I've just personally been preferring to shoot deer with my bow lately. I got an invite back in august to meet some friends this week in the Tx panhandle for a little hunt. They said, "don't bring your bow"! When I asked about the expected shot distance opportunities, they said 400 yards tops…. So I really wasn't to focused on a long range load to bring, and I wanted to try something new. Being the very busy guy I am, I kept procrastinating about my load work up. Spent all my free time in the bow woods with my son. And just like that I'm at a 1 week countdown to go time. (I do keep at least 1 RUM in a go bag with ammo, so I wasn't completely unprepared).
So with little time to waste, I said to myself, what woul @ButterBean do. I dragged an old mod 700 Lss rum outa the safe that I've never shot, started pourin the 4350 in a adg case until it got warm, then backed off a grain and seated some to the last groove. Shot several 300 yard groups from 2 to 2-1/2 inches. Then tried the Lee fcd. Holy smokes! At 300 yards, every group is now between 3/4" and 1"!
Shot big targets at 500 and 800 to confirm drops and calculate velocity. (Radar won't go that high)
So now my full intentions are to try to test this little pill on a deer at 5-700 to see what all the fuss is about. Of course, that plan didn't work out. The little 124HH impacted at just a fuzz under 4000. High shoulder entrance, slightly qtr'n away. Exit center ribs.

E8782153-D163-41BE-B70B-8B1E72F5086D.jpeg
1E4B100D-5F4B-4E33-9BA5-CD9EADAD8DB5.jpeg
FYI. If you ever come to the panhandle, bring your long gun. You can see 10 miles everywhere.

Haven't squeezed the trigger on a deer since 2014. Done plenty of shootin and killed a few semi loads of hogs and other critters. And I've loaded ammo and helped my son kill several deer with a rifle. (12 years old now) I've just personally been preferring to shoot deer with my bow lately. I got an invite back in august to meet some friends this week in the Tx panhandle for a little hunt. They said, "don't bring your bow"! When I asked about the expected shot distance opportunities, they said 400 yards tops…. So I really wasn't to focused on a long range load to bring, and I wanted to try something new. Being the very busy guy I am, I kept procrastinating about my load work up. Spent all my free time in the bow woods with my son. And just like that I'm at a 1 week countdown to go time. (I do keep at least 1 RUM in a go bag with ammo, so I wasn't completely unprepared).
So with little time to waste, I said to myself, what woul @ButterBean do. I dragged an old mod 700 Lss rum outa the safe that I've never shot, started pourin the 4350 in a adg case until it got warm, then backed off a grain and seated some to the last groove. Shot several 300 yard groups from 2 to 2-1/2 inches. Then tried the Lee fcd. Holy smokes! At 300 yards, every group is now between 3/4" and 1"!
Shot big targets at 500 and 800 to confirm drops and calculate velocity. (Radar won't go that high)
So now my full intentions are to try to test this little pill on a deer at 5-700 to see what all the fuss is about. Of course, that plan didn't work out. The little 124HH impacted at just a fuzz under 4000. High shoulder entrance, slightly qtr'n away. Exit center ribs.

View attachment 416526View attachment 416527FYI. If you ever come to the panhandle, bring your long gun. You can see 10 miles everywhere.
I love it

Filled my last tag this morning. Whitetail doe. Decided to use something different than 300 win mag / 180 Hammer like on other critters this year. I haven't shot my Tikka 6.5 Needmoor since 2018 when I shot 3 doe whitetail and a doe lope. I used a 143 ELDX with 45.0 grs. Superformance. Hit behind shoulder broadside. Blew up like Berger. Took out top of both lungs.
IMG_20221227_092226446.jpg
IMG_20221227_092119501.jpg
IMG_20221227_155030964.jpg

My only two big game tags this year. Added two new species to my list. Took my first black bear in AK in May and my first Coues deer just down the road from the house here in AZ. Bear was shot with my .300 Win mag and 199 gr hammer hunter at 130 yards and the Coues was shot with my 7-08ai and a 140gr Absolute Hammer at 392 yards.
C21816C1-B828-4CFB-B64C-113BF5DF6A5E.jpeg
DD5C25BD-22D7-4EC3-BFB4-6EEB8C4EB248.jpeg

My CO muzzleloader elk hunt was in a new area for me (screwed up somehow on marking my choices on the draw so I got to go exploring!). No elk, no sign newer than spring migration, no reports of elk from other hunters. But a week in the mountains is a success no matter how you look at it, in my opinion.

For 3rd rifle season for deer, a few of us hunters from church coordinate a hunt for guys, mostly dads and sons, who haven't hunted before. We're NOT guiding - we're just offering to introduce them to hunting and show them the ropes.

We hunt an area in NW CO that has a lot of does. This year we had 9 hunters with tags and 5 volunteers to go with them. All 9 tags were filled this year!

I was a volunteer, but also had a tag for the area, so after my new hunter filled his tag, I filled mine with a nice muley doe. Certainly not a long range shot - I belly crawled through the sage to a ridge 100 yds away from a facing ridge where she and a few others were bedded.

Shooting a Winchester Mdl 70 in .308 with factory Winchester Super-X 150 gr power point SP. Factory ammo because it works well in this rifle (and I've been busy making a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and .223 ammo this summer so no time to load anything else), and the model 70 because I haven't had my recently finished Savage 6.5 CM build out to the range yet.

7A7F8E7A-EFA5-45C9-995F-774BF53465F4_1_105_c.jpeg

D93E65BB-BAB7-4F70-AE9D-9E3594695EA1_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
For got to update how the year ended. So my wife and my step dads first elk. My step dad shot his at 717 and my wife and 724. I killed mine at 290 something on the way out. Fun day! Quick trip. Wife and step dad shot a 28 nos with a 195 Berger. I was impressed with how that bullet preformed. Mine was a 190 matrix and it made soup out of the lungs. Planing a family antelope hunt back home this fall here's to hoping everyone draws. After fighting guns most of the year trying to get them to shoot a certain bullet I finally ran out of time and ran with what the gun wanted to shoot. Both the wife and step dad made perfect shots at that range. 1 and done. What an emotional trip for all three of us to be together and shoot elk. Everyone got to watch the other take their elk. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way

Attachments

• 698E5A50-E62E-4841-B07A-A6ACB920CF78.jpeg
    698E5A50-E62E-4841-B07A-A6ACB920CF78.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • F4220700-58F6-4339-AD08-0A5097FA3F1F.jpeg
    F4220700-58F6-4339-AD08-0A5097FA3F1F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
For got to update how the year ended. So my wife and my step dads first elk. My step dad shot his at 717 and my wife and 724. I killed mine at 290 something on the way out. Fun day! Quick trip. Wife and step dad shot a 28 nos with a 195 Berger. I was impressed with how that bullet preformed. Mine was a 190 matrix and it made soup out of the lungs. Planing a family antelope hunt back home this fall here's to hoping everyone draws. After fighting guns most of the year trying to get them to shoot a certain bullet I finally ran out of time and ran with what the gun wanted to shoot. Both the wife and step dad made perfect shots at that range. 1 and done. What an emotional trip for all three of us to be together and shoot elk. Everyone got to watch the other take their elk. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way
Freezer full of serious GOODNESS 🥩 right there fellas!!! Great hunt!!!!

Adding to the list. Bow season opened last weekend and I missed a doe at 40 on public opening day. I guessed 40 and shot right over her back. Ranged it after and it was 41.6 yds, so I just whiffed I guess?? Hunted Sunday, Tuesday, and again on Saturday. Saw deer everyday but no shots. Decided to pull my easy card early and set up at my food plot at my house today. Maybe 15 minutes in the stand and smoked her. Pretty cool doing this just 100 yds behind my house! I'm done hunting my house until the rut …late Jan early Feb. Don't want to run all the does off before then!

If you look at the picture she has a piebald face, didn't realize that before I shot her but pretty cool! And yes, it takes Sitka head to toe to kill a doe that small.lol.
San Diego ? Looks like a whitetail doe not a D16 southern Muley 😉👍🏼

Haha, you're right! About the same size as a 16 muley, but a whitetail. I moved back to Florida at the beginning of the year. Little part of me will miss hunting there…just a little. Should update my profile!