200 grain 6.5 revisited (Attention Elkaholic, and Hammer)

Rifle has a couple of issues with pre-mature primer cratering, changed to a heavier spring helped a bit. It's now off for a bushing for a smaller, cleaner firing pin hole. If I understand it correctly.

First bullet survived our biggest concern ("interior ballistics") of a bullet that long getting a clean launch, but revealed some tipping in flight. "Dynamic Stability" in simplest terms in my understanding essentially ("balance"), how it responds to the the forces ("exterior ballistics") in flight.

Yeah I've been reading quite a bit about that lately. It's a fair bit over my head. I think you've got s good team for figuring it out though. Also, I've got a couple bolts I'm sending out to get bushed as well for the same issue with cratering. I don't have a 6.5 anything myself but this thread caught my eye. I like the out of the ordinary stuff and a bullet this size in an ordinary caliber is just that.

I've skipped over the 6.5's as well. Mostly they made their bones with 160 +/- grain bullets at slow velocity (high speed at the time) . Dropping down to modern weights, at high speed never excited me. A modern bullet, of old school weight, at high velocity has my interest.

Once we get the bolt back then it will be back to the range. Well work backwards shortening the bullet until we can settle it down. Miller stability formula does not work well with copper bullets as they get long for caliber. Seems the longer the bullets get the need for twist goes up even more. Not linear. Normal length bullets the formula works well.

Last edited:
.......But 200 at 3k is just as satisfying.........

I should have titled this a bit differently-As we get farther from the source some confusion from a couple of folks.

It started with a post about old Barnes original bullets, a 6.5, 200 grain, jacketed lead bullet. Borrowed the title to not steal the thread.

Our goal is a 160 +/- grain mono.

But yeah a 6.5 200 grain would be cool at 3K. With a bullet probably 2.5-3" something like a Ruger #1 for ease in loading would be nice!

In theory I could send a 143 4K out of my 300AX.

Could the 195gr Berger be swagged down to 6.5 or is that too much of a difference to size out of curiosity

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.