200 grain 6.5 revisited (Attention Elkaholic, and Hammer)

I don't know??? I believe it could be swaged just by firing it. What the results would be in terms of surviving launch, accuracy, or terminal performance is anybodies guess.

The big question when we started was could a mono bullet, almost 2"'s long, be driven hard through an aggressive twist.

That turned out to be the least of issues, but other issues appeared. Dynamic stability was one completely off my radar.

Focussed on education and entertainment, and getting both.

How a similar jacketed bullet would react adds another set of variables, probably best answered by those producing those bullets.

The new Berger 6.5 will be fun watching others wring out. I'd be very interested in reading their notes over the last couple of years.

I don't know??? I believe it could be swaged just by firing it. What the results would be in terms of surviving launch, accuracy, or terminal performance is anybodies guess.

The big question when we started was could a mono bullet, almost 2"'s long, be driven hard through an aggressive twist.

That turned out to be the least of issues, but other issues appeared. Dynamic stability was one completely off my radar.

Focussed on education and entertainment, and getting both.

How a similar jacketed bullet would react adds another set of variables, probably best answered by those producing those bullets.

The new Berger 6.5 will be fun watching others wring out. I'd be very interested in reading their notes over the last couple of years.

Just found the thread , has anymore progress taken place?

I can't recall where along the way, but someone said a 1 to 6 ratio of caliber to total bullet length, was about as long as feasible in the mono's, and we've come to feel that's likely more accurate than not.
As has been said the 137 Hammer Hunter worked well, and is near that 1-6 ratio maximum. Looking at other heavy 6.5 mono's available they also seem to be near this length, and may benefit from the faster twist of this rifle.
The next interesting question is how the 124 Hammer Hunter will fare in this larger case, and aggressive twist.
Hopefully weather etc permits this soon.

I would check out when Brian litz and the Berger ballistics team is on the field with their lab radar. They let you come and shoot your rifle and let you build a custom set up drop table. This might pique his interest in bullet development.

I know it would be a bit more expensive but you can look at Machining out the back end of it and putting in Lead to help ballast it a little better in Flight possibly. Or drill a small hole through the core and try to get the right balance for flight.

Here is the 200y target when I zeroed the rifle. We did shoot it at 4030 fps but had a bit of bolt lift so backed off. It was about 50* out so next step is to take it out whenit is hotter out and see if it stays stable.

Attachments

• Message_1588603804892.jpg
    Message_1588603804892.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.