200 grain 6.5 revisited (Attention Elkaholic, and Hammer)

Here is the 200y target when I zeroed the rifle. We did shoot it at 4030 fps but had a bit of bolt lift so backed off. It was about 50* out so next step is to take it out whenit is hotter out and see if it stays stable.

What did I miss in this thread? What thermo-nuclear cartridge is pushing a 200 grain 6.5 bullet at 4k fps? :eek:

We call it the 6.5 UltraCat. It is a 300 rum necked down to 6.5 with a 40* shoulder. We did this reamer about 10 years ago. Back then we did not have much choice in brass and powder. We were not able to settle the load down when using us869. Temp changes would spike the pressure terrribly. Next we will take it out and shoot at a 30*-40* increase in temp and see if there is issues with the Ramshot LRT. We are at a pretty top end load now, we did take it a grain higher and started to get a bit of heavy bolt lift ant 4030 fps. I guess we are 10 fps under the goal of 4000 fps. So far so good.

We call it the 6.5 UltraCat. It is a 300 rum necked down to 6.5 with a 40* shoulder. We did this reamer about 10 years ago. Back then we did not have much choice in brass and powder. We were not able to settle the load down when using us869. Temp changes would spike the pressure terrribly. Next we will take it out and shoot at a 30*-40* increase in temp and see if there is issues with the Ramshot LRT. We are at a pretty top end load now, we did take it a grain higher and started to get a bit of heavy bolt lift ant 4030 fps. I guess we are 10 fps under the goal of 4000 fps. So far so good.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to build a big 6.5 barrel burner, can you message me info on the reamer if you still have it?

Regrouping. Apparently action unsuitable for the Lapua case. Thoughts on what case would launch a 160 grain 6.5, roughly 3000 fps?

Probably a 6.5-300 BEE with a long bbl. Mine is 30". 3700 w/127.

Ruger No. 1 6.5-300.jpg

My 36" 338 RUM launches a 300 Berger @3000.

338rum.JPG

Have you tried RL 33, H869 or 50MG ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.