Zero for different state.

It always strikes me as being humorous when a member thinks I have failed to read and comprehend a poster's question or thoughts. But thank you for thinking I need a correction.:mad:

Just for the sake of clarity. I DID read and I DID comprehend what the OP was asking about. I stated that my area is quite variable in altitude. While you down play the changes in altitude, there might come a time when your attitude (read carefully, not altitude...) might bite you in the behind. Note the use of the term 'might' as it is key to my statement.

I did think it might be reasonable to add the very short discussion regarding checking his zero and uphill/downhill shooting. As I stated, some have forgotten this aspect until it gets demonstrated. This was simply an attempt at enhancing the answers already written.

Have a great day!

:)

eat i have fo
It always strikes me as being humorous when a member thinks I have failed to read and comprehend a poster's question or thoughts. But thank you for thinking I need a correction.:mad:

Just for the sake of clarity. I DID read and I DID comprehend what the OP was asking about. I stated that my area is quite variable in altitude. While you down play the changes in altitude, there might come a time when your attitude (read carefully, not altitude...) might bite you in the behind. Note the use of the term 'might' as it is key to my statement.

I did think it might be reasonable to add the very short discussion regarding checking his zero and uphill/downhill shooting. As I stated, some have forgotten this aspect until it gets demonstrated. This was simply an attempt at enhancing the answers already written.

Have a great day!

what i have fouRio is that agNile of shot in hills and mounts will kill your shot placement more than any thing. angle of hold on a range fiunder can be criticl.

Here I thought this was hyperbole and the op was going to question the wisdom of folks who zero their rifles "in another state" as in more than 300 yards or so haha.

I hadn't even thought of the actual concern being one but now that's one more thing to think about so thanks a lot! 🤣

Have a great day!

Lol. Relax homie. You're way to wound up didn't mean to offend you. My point was that people are getting into the weeds about the zero and the zero isn't an issue. I hunt from 1500-11000 feet so I am well aware altitude has an impact on distance but it's not a zero issue generally. Regardless, we as a group seem to always go down rabbit holes, me included. For example Angle comp and vertical wind. Generally the apps and charts are quite fine but in mountain terrain those 2 things play havoc on precision. In the end my attitude was definitely not disagreeing with you even tho that may be how you took it.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out my rifle/scope hunting setup for mule deer this year and my question is how do most of you sight in your rifle for a new place without actually going there to shoot? I live in Minnesota with an elevation of 1360 and will be hunting Pine Ridge, Nebraska with an elevation of 3241. I was thinking I would use the Strelok ballistic app because it let's me zero the rifle for Minnesota but then gives me a table for Nebraska when I enter their information.
When I compare the tables now it reads something like.....

200 yd. NE .34. MN 0
300yd. NE 2.71 MN 2.15
400yd. NE 5.46 MN 4.64
500yd. NE 8.53 MN 7.41 ....all in MOA

Would you guys just sight it in for Minnesota and then use the Nebraska table when it comes time? Or do I have to re-zero it in Nebraska?
You already have almost everything you need if you want to dynamically calculate you elevation and wind correction. Your rifle data, ie. bullet data BC/Length/Diameter, Sight Height, Zero Range, is already in a ballistic calculator. Now you need a way to measure real angle range to the critter and what the current environment is altitude, temp, Baro, Wind speed/direction. Out of these Altitude, wind speed/direction and temp are the most critical. Input these params into you ballistic app and you have dynamic correction data. Play around with your ballistic app putting in various temp and alt ranges and comparing the results for your rifle. I think you'll find it takes a lot of environmental change to effect correct. Put the ballistic outputs into a spread sheet and you will see how small the correct deltas are between 1360 and 3241 out to 500 yards.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out my rifle/scope hunting setup for mule deer this year and my question is how do most of you sight in your rifle for a new place without actually going there to shoot? I live in Minnesota with an elevation of 1360 and will be hunting Pine Ridge, Nebraska with an elevation of 3241. I was thinking I would use the Strelok ballistic app because it let's me zero the rifle for Minnesota but then gives me a table for Nebraska when I enter their information.
When I compare the tables now it reads something like.....

200 yd. NE .34. MN 0
300yd. NE 2.71 MN 2.15
400yd. NE 5.46 MN 4.64
500yd. NE 8.53 MN 7.41 ....all in MOA

Would you guys just sight it in for Minnesota and then use the Nebraska table when it comes time? Or do I have to re-zero it in Nebraska?
Sneak a little closer and don't worry about it!

I always zero my scope at 200 yds. When traveling to other locations to hunt, I re-check my 200yd zero and adjust, if needed. Be sure to shoot from a very secure rest, to be accurate.

Vance is correct (in my opinion) don't frite the little stuff.
I live in Texas and generally speaking that means flatland with less than 3000 foot elevation change, From where you practice to where you may hunt. Generally, here no big deal. But in traveling to other states that you may get into mountainous areas with 30 to 45 degree of angle differences from shooting point to target people are always surprised when they shoot over an animal at 300 to 400 yards, and tell themselves "I know I compensated for 400 yards".

I simply always confirm, in theses conditions, zero using my BR rangefinder which pretty much compensate ballistic changes internally for everything, temperature, altitude, air density, and angle of shot to which ever caliber you have programed it for.

Always carry extra batteries for range finder