Different POI for different shooters

Parallax is a big part of the equation. Check weld is another part. But I wonder if there's a possibility another shooter's POI is affected by how large they and the subsequent recoil? I larger person will probably have less recoil motion of the rifle than a smaller person. Or not?

Cheekweld is different
THIS ^^^ is correct answer, as "Bone structure" and Skin "Thickness" of, each Person's, Skull ( Cheek area ) and distance to, the center of, each Eyeball, is DIfferent, on, almost, Everybody ! Custom Stock makers usually, know "this".
Correct, Stock "Height", was how we adjusted the POI of, Shot Patterns on, Shotgun Stocks for, Competitive Trap Shooters in the OLD days, before,..
Adjustable Comb, Stocks. It was VERY important to, the longer range ( 24-27 yd ), "Handicap" shooters. This Cheek shape/ skin thickness and eye, distance idea, Transfers over to, POI "Shift's" on, Rifle's, too. And we commonly, call IT ,.. "Cheek Weld"

Last edited:
Hey guys I have what is probably a basic newbie question. When shooting mid-semi long range I can shoot and hit a target no problem. When my 15 year old son gets behind the rifle he always shoots high, a lot of times high and left. I had another friend shoot with us recently and he was able to hit the target no problem also, my son shoots and high. I am just trying to figure out what my son could be doing wrong? Could it be something as simple as just how he is looking down through the scope?

I am talking targets at 400, 500, and 700 same results
??? Paralax issue?

Hey guys I have what is probably a basic newbie question. When shooting mid-semi long range I can shoot and hit a target no problem. When my 15 year old son gets behind the rifle he always shoots high, a lot of times high and left. I had another friend shoot with us recently and he was able to hit the target no problem also, my son shoots and high. I am just trying to figure out what my son could be doing wrong? Could it be something as simple as just how he is looking down through the scope?

If your son is an average sized 15 year old and not still a little guy then have him pull the gun straight back into his shoulder , tightly with both hands and maybe a going over of trigger positioning and follow through with the pull and shooting in the breathing pause. Become the gun.

Don't think any one thing is responsible… it's a combination of all the differences in the way the rifle recoils/barrel harmonics etc in the hands of different shooters.

I can never hit a dang thing with a rifle my Pops has sighted in when I'm in the field. I've grabbed his 7mmstw a couple of times to down a critter if I have an issue and whiffed both times. He wears tri-focal glasses (I don't wear prescription lenses) and is a bit shorter stature than me so I suppose that matters.
It's best to hunt with your rifle or at least get a few pot shots in on paper or rocks, etc. before you get serious and hunt another person's rifle.
If either of you is opposite-eyed or opposite-handed, that will certainly do it!

Watched 5 different people clobber a 12"x12" piece of steel at 600, with the same rifle just the other day (A rifle I zeroed months ago). Two of them had never shot a centerfire rifle in their lives. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least a dozen random folks who've hit stuff at 500-800 with that rifle, just in the past couple months.

Based on all the contrary posts…. I'm thinking my imperial evidence is clearly false.

Again…. I must just have a very neutral face.

If your son has one ragged hole, or at least a tight group, although high/left of yours, that leads me to believe he may only need the scope adjusted to suit his eye alignment. Not everyone's eyes are shaped the same/aligns the same.
If the groups are inconsistent, then you have some work to do.

Many years ago my wife left her 30-30 in the truck and borrowed my .270 since I had already filled my tag. She took a 200 yard shot and hit the deer in the ham. We did not recover it. It started snowing and covered the blood trail. Soured her on hunting. Went to the range, and she shot my .270 at 100 yards and was a foot to the left. Her groups were tighter than mine. My buddy and I have traded rifles a couple of times for various reasons, and we both shoot to the same POI.

The rifle is chambered in 6.5 PRC and has a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 with parallax adjustment. Also we were shooting with a suppressor so recoil was minimum. I will have him check zero at 100 yards and go from there.

As others have noted, too many factors can be attributed to shooters' POI differences. That might be his norm if your son is consistently high and left.
Solution: He needs his own rifle.
I agree so that he can adjust accordingly to his shooting style/set his own zero.