Two shooters, two different POI, same gun

I have had that happen when shooting 2, then picking up gun again for 2 more. It all depends how you mount the rifle. Want a good group, don't set it down.

There are many variables that might cause a change in POI. Though the following may not cause such changes immediately, over time we need to consider changes in light conditions, barometric pressure, relative humidity, wind, and more. These might be the reason why one person, shooting the same gun, using the same ammunition, on a different day, may find that POI changed (sometimes significantly).
Ballistics, like medicine, is not a pure science.

Very common.

My wife and I consistently shoot the same poi regardless of what, where, or how far we are shooting. Throw my buddy in the mix and he consistently shoots 1 MOA to the left of me.

My son and I shoot the same zero on rifles up to a point. On probably 9/10 of our rifles we see no difference at all and no matter what the rifle is up to about 30-06 recoil levels we have the same zero, but on some heavier recoiling rifles we see a big difference. For example: He has an 8 pound 2 ounce loaded and ready to shoot un-braked 28N that is just awful to shoot, wicked nasty recoil and we have the same zero. I have a 9.5# 300WM with a brake that kicks a lot less and his vertical is WAY off. The stock on my 300 is actually pretty crappy and flexy synthetic, but works just fine for me. His 28 has a really good stock, also synthetic but quite solid. With good stocks we don't see any difference regardless of recoil, but with lesser quality stocks once the recoil level gets higher we do see a difference and for the two of us that is the key difference. I am heavy enough to keep the rifle from moving much at all and it knocks him out of the way, he weighs about 140 and I weigh about 210.

My wife shoots groups 1 moa higher than me. I think she holds the gun softer or something. She's left handed and so am I. 280 AI, super light Kimber Montana pencil barrel. You really have to focus with that rifle. I'm 210 lbs, she's 135. The point of impact is setup for her. I will shoot her rifle but won't touch the scope. If she shoots it well, then that's all that matters to me. Sure is strange though. I think everyone sets up, sights and pulls that trigger a little different.

While shooting yesterday with my girlfriend and her rifle at 315 and 505 yards validating the drops for it…..

I noticed with the same dope we had different points of impact. Grouping size only varying marginally between us.

I noticed a similar thing when zeroing it at 100 on a different outing

Does a shooter's style/technique come into play here?
We call it bench manners in benchrest....minor differences can be seen on targets.

While shooting yesterday with my girlfriend and her rifle at 315 and 505 yards validating the drops for it…..

I noticed with the same dope we had different points of impact. Grouping size only varying marginally between us.

No two shooters perform the same due to many parameters, including, but not limited to: position building, recoil management and sensitivity, eyesight, target picture, trigger technique, cheek weld, gun fit, parallax management, reticle/sight to target alignment, et el, et el, et el. Come to think of it, it is a wonder we hit anything once, let alone twice.

It is probably to posture, grip, gun mount, sight picture, trigger control, all the variables that go into to consistent shooting. Everyone is different; the variables add up with slightly different results. As long as you are both getting good groups, everything should be fine. If you dedicate a rifle to her use only, then adjust the scope for her.

Good post. Good question. When I shoot anyone else's rifle the POI is going to be different than the owners. A right-hand shooter thats left eye dominant will have that. When I shoot any of my brothers rifles, at only 100yds my POI will be 3-4"H & 3-4"R from his. Also someone that shoots using the BAC - Binden Aiming Concept of both eyes open looking through a scope ( like I now use ) the POI will differ from someone that only uses one eye open. Not having the same view through the scope - cheek weld & comb elevation being where a shooter needs it to be will change POI from the owner of that rifle. Having the rifle slightly canted will do the same thing.

Last edited:

You hold rifle different so view through scope is off just a little.

All too common, and one of the best reasons I can think of not just allowing any shooter to get behind any gun (especially if they haven't done extensive range work with it prior to). Way too often you see, read, watch video's etc of people saying here just take my gun it's set up to 1K...or whatever.